Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

1 hour ago, Lostock Whites said:

We've got lots of tough away matches against the top 8 to come.

However, interestingly, we've not got a bad record at all this season against the teams around us.

In our matches against the top 8, we've won 3, drawn 2 and lost just once, away at Pompey. 11 points from 6.

Let's keep taking points away from the teams around us and continue to smash the rest of the league. We're on track and have the best PPG in the league, we can do this! 

I suppose we're yet to find out if playing away is as good as playing at home, against the top 8.  It seems to be the case against the lesser sides that we're as likely to win at home as away.  Its a quirk of the fixture list that its still another 4 weeks before we play our 3rd away game against the top 8,  but at home we only have 3 more of the top 14 still to play. 

• The topic was pinned

2-1 whites. Charles and Vic put us 2-0 at half time, we have our usual lull from 45-65, they score from a corner, I then shit myself for half an hour as we just about hang on for the points. Come away wondering whether I actually enjoyed any of the actual game and then look for who we’re playing next.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

2-1 whites. Charles and Vic put us 2-0 at half time, we have our usual lull from 45-65, they score from a corner, I then shit myself for half an hour as we just about hang on for the points. Come away wondering whether I actually enjoyed any of the actual game and then look for who we’re playing next.

Ha I think the Watford game ruined me for life . I cant rest easy til we are 4-0 up and then only if there is less than 5 mins to go . I once so us score 4 in the last 6 minutes .

Thats why I used to buy/record all the Bolton games , so I could actually enjoy the match afterwards rather than it being 90 mins of fear driven adrenaline. 

On 29/01/2024 at 07:57, Wanderlust said:

They will press and stop us from playing as much as they can so it will be up to us pick them apart - something we’ve struggled with so hopefully we find the solution and if so it might encourage other teams to stop using that tactic against us so much.

With the tough away games to come, this is a very important fixture in our season and I am desperate for us to win it.

As with every time we've played these the solution lies in start fast, score first. Whole different dynamic in the game if we score in first 15 mins. Start with the walking football and we'll have a difficult, Wigan-esque afternoon. 

Seems like the Tykes could be active in the transfer market in the next few days with George Byers potentially in from Wendies and Josh Earl from The Cods with Styles and Cadden, out of contract in the summer when he can walk, potentially out from their midfield. The outs would certainly weaken them so hopefully they come off? Got to say they’ve done remarkably well given they’ve had a few injuries but hopefully we’ll be too strong for them on Saturday?

45 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Seems like the Tykes could be active in the transfer market in the next few days with George Byers potentially in from Wendies and Josh Earl from The Cods with Styles and Cadden, out of contract in the summer when he can walk, potentially out from their midfield. The outs would certainly weaken them so hopefully they come off? Got to say they’ve done remarkably well given they’ve had a few injuries but hopefully we’ll be too strong for them on Saturday?

Come on The Trotters.

Starting Saturday the next month could really define what our season is going to look like. Some tough games first and foremost. Injuries we need to carry through, 2 of our games in hand and games with rivals where we haven’t had much joy. 

Some tough aways further down the road and 2 of our last 3 games are Pompey and Posh. We don’t really want to still be in the pack at that stage. We ideally need to come out of feb as we have of Jan with 5 or 6 wins from the 7 games. 

very tough ask but it’s do able 

Edited by barrycowdrill