Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Posh

Dr Faustus

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Nobody genuinely believes we're finishing 2nd. But then nobody believed Sheffield Wednesday would turn around a 0-4 last season...

I don't recall lumping a tenner on Maidstone to win at Ipswich either, or Carlisle to win at Peterboro or Bolton.

Its a game of football, that referees have a say in, hence Derby fans will be having the odd panic this week however unjustified that is.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't recall lumping a tenner on Maidstone to win at Ipswich either, or Carlisle to win at Peterboro or Bolton.

Its a game of football, that referees have a say in, hence Derby fans will be having the odd panic this week however unjustified that is.

Surely most of us can't help having the faintest of hopes in the back of our minds that the occasion gets to Derby, while we play without any pressure. Even the the tiniest chance is still a chance.

20 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Surely most of us can't help having the faintest of hopes in the back of our minds that the occasion gets to Derby, while we play without any pressure. Even the the tiniest chance is still a chance.

Same

It's very unlikely, obviously, but if it gets to an hour, we're comfortably winning, and it's still 0-0 over in Derby...

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Same

It's very unlikely, obviously, but if it gets to an hour, we're comfortably winning, and it's still 0-0 over in Derby...

I'd probably spend the next 30 minutes spewing.

13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Same

Exactly Aldo and that’s when the nerves set in, the crowd get restless and mistakes happen. Derby need an early goal and if they get that then I think it’s game over but if they don’t? We also need an early goal or preferably two to really put the screw on them but miracles do sometimes happen so we can at least hope. 🙂

We aren't finishing 2nd and it's the hope that kills you.

However, get an early goal against Peterborough and get Derby doubting themselves and twitchy for a while.

Edited by jmjhb

I'd love an early goal at Peterborough, just to set Derby panicking. 

There's no reason why the unthinkable can't happen. I'm a #shitfan sunning myself in Italy this weekend (booked after the Shrewsbury game with my football hating missus when all hope was lost). 

Am I getting on WanderersTV Saturday on the absolute miniscule off chance? 

Fuck yes I am. 

Well it's shaping up to be a game of chicken on the final day. The longer Derby go on without taking the lead, the more we'll feel obliged to keep our better players on and risk injury, tiredness, bans and other issues that may (or may not) affect our playoff performance.

Evatt's going to have a decision or two to make and I don't envy him, especially as it's so unlikely we'll get a sniff of the automatics. He'll probably get pilloried whatever happens unless the miracle occurs.

Might as well go with a strong team, try to win big and justify it as "preparing for the playoffs by going in with a winning mentality".

We've secured our playoff spot, so ultimately we've got nothing to lose and potentially something to gain, albeit highly unlikely.

Worried Peterborough have played a blinder here. We all getting our hopes up (players and management alike) for  final day misery. Something feels odd about it all.

Surely any ideas of Evatt resting anyone up now out of the window.

That said anyone needing a rest with play offs probably shouldn’t be playing anyway.

Edited by tomski

At least there’s the tiniest ray of hope to cling to for Saturday, however miniscule.

Our game is almost a dead rubber, but not quite.

I’m sure i saw somewhere that our chances of automatic promotion on Saturday are 125/1.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Which bookies are still taking bets on the impossible or is it a case of building your own bet at this stage?

Bet365 offering 100/1. Skybet offering 25/1. Haven’t checked others.

Will the Paul Simpson/Derby connection play a part here, both player and assistant manager in the 90’s and still well remembered by Rams fans? Will he really be prepping his side to fight to the last to deny them promotion? You’d like to think he would but human nature and all that? ☹️

20 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

If we are winning handsomely and it's 0-0 at derby, at what stage in the game (if ever) do they kind of give up the ghost in terms of really pushing for a goal and just revert to not conceding?

Let’s hope they do, Derbys defence isn’t the best and they could easily slip up doing that. Come on you Carlisle. 🥳

33 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

If we are winning handsomely and it's 0-0 at derby, at what stage in the game (if ever) do they kind of give up the ghost in terms of really pushing for a goal and just revert to not conceding?

That's the game of chicken I was referring to. But the chances of that scenario happening are pretty much what the bookies are offering - only without the option to cash out :)