Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

No more replays anymore

Dr Faustus

33 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No more White Hot. Ridiculous really. More pandering to the self appointed at the top. 

All part of a bargaining chip for the Premier League 'donation' fee.

30 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Then every club outside of the Prem should keep all the gate receipts no matter where it’s played. 

I don't think that's unreasonable at all 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, freds dad said:

Then every club outside of the Prem should keep all the gate receipts no matter where it’s played. 

And seeing as romance has gone and its pure hard cash, lowest ranked team to be at home unless they choose to play away for cash

40 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sad times.. some of my greatest football memories were cup replays… Newcastle trilogy being the pinnacle, anyone who hasn’t experienced the FA cup and replays before the FA ruined it has missed something very, very special. 

Anfield, goodison, Highbury. Very special experiences, football at its best.

This board was awash with complaints a couple of months ago because we had such a fixture backlog. Nobody wanted to play 2 more games to get us to Wembley with a chance of lifting back to back trophies. 

Yet now a rule comes in to prevent further fixtures over the winter and it’s met with a backlash because you want a midweek FA cup replay in Hull.

Make your minds up 😆

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No more White Hot. Ridiculous really. More pandering to the self appointed at the top. 

Looks like no more giant killing, no more generously giving some gate receipts to the minnows, no more Tuesday night Spuds trips to Darlington or similar.

But more prem v prem cup matches. Or have I skimmed incorrectly ?

26 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Anfield, goodison, Highbury. Very special experiences, football at its best.

Its hard to believe they really happened.  Being (relatively) young at the time, I thought it would be something I'd be experiencing every 6 or 7 years maybe.  But in 100 years+, that will be the only era - 1993/94 ish - where any Bolton fan will have witnessed two FA Cup games against Prem giants, home and away and knocking them out, under the lights.  This isn't a surprise but its still a sad day.  

The FA Cup has increasingly been devalued over recent years largely to suit premier league clubs, but this is sickening......what right do Prem League twats have to have any say in the 1st & 2nd rounds that don't even involve them ?

41 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

This board was awash with complaints a couple of months ago because we had such a fixture backlog. Nobody wanted to play 2 more games to get us to Wembley with a chance of lifting back to back trophies. 

Yet now a rule comes in to prevent further fixtures over the winter and it’s met with a backlash because you want a midweek FA cup replay in Hull.

Make your minds up 😆

I respect that viewpoint, but the difference between the 2 cups for me is that one provides memories without having to get to Wembley and the other can provide excitement in every single round, from the 1st to the semi, even in defeat sometimes (eg I enjoyed our 2 games v Liverpool a few years ago under Lennon).  The U21s cup is only worth entering (IMO) if you get to Wembley as a minimum, so 2 teams get a great occasion/memory and 46 other league teams plus some kids play about 200 games that generate next to no interest or excitement for the majority of fans.  IMO not worth the hassle and injury risk and I'd love us not to enter it next season if we're in L1.

1 hour ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Make your minds up 😆

Fuck me comparing the piss pot trophy to what was the best cup comp in the world. Ridiculous. 

Just noticed final has gone to penultimate weekend of PL on a permanent basis as well, making the finale of the league the main event of the season not the cup final.

But the Friday night before the final will be left free to ensure it gets all the build up. Haha aye okay.

Surprised they've not done away with league cup yet, most other countries have.

15 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Just noticed final has gone to penultimate weekend of PL on a permanent basis as well, making the finale of the league the main event of the season not the cup final.

But the Friday night before the final will be left free to ensure it gets all the build up. Haha aye okay.

Surprised they've not done away with league cup yet, most other countries have.

They’ll change it to U21 teams from the top two divisions. Extra European place goes to Premier League 9th place or whatever it’s down to now. Gives L1 & L2 the option of restoring EFL Trophy without U21 teams, but also without any TV money or a Wembley final.