Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Disaster

Mounts Kipper

• Members

Seconded. I know we have discussed it many times in the past but I will never forget the story recounted to me by my grandmother fearing the loss of my grandfather who was an 'Embankment man'.

She was at Ashburner Street market when the news broke and she dashed, sobbing, down Manny Road. She saw panic, corpses and all sorts but couldn't find him anywhere. When she got home later to find him supping a pint pot of tea and smookin' a Park Drive she didn't half 'give him what for' for frightening her before collapsing on him in a sobbing heap and counting her blessings.

I only wish such a happy ending would have been possible for the 33.

RIP.

Seconded. I know we have discussed it many times in the past but I will never forget the story recounted to me by my grandmother fearing the loss of my grandfather who was an 'Embankment man'.

She was at Ashburner Street market when the news broke and she dashed, sobbing, down Manny Road. She saw panic, corpses and all sorts but couldn't find him anywhere. When she got home later to find him supping a pint pot of tea and smookin' a Park Drive she didn't half 'give him what for' for frightening her before collapsing on him in a sobbing heap and counting her blessings.

RIP.

Aye. Same sentiments here bolty. My grandad was also there. Think I've told it on here before that he was utterly confused when he got off the tram on the way home to find lots of women waiting for their "menfolk" at the tram stop as that didn't usually happen after a match. He'd no idea what had happened other than an overspill on to the pitch. Seems weird in today's digital age of instant news

RIP.

My Grandad was on there that day and I remember my Grandma telling a similar tale.  He never mentioned it though.

As Va Va says, most of the men on that day would have seen much worse, I'm sure, and he never spoke of the war either.

RIP

My mum was there with her friend on the Lever End. She used to tell the story of the crowd on the Embankment swaying around and her friend commenting that it looked like they were having fun.

After the match they stopped at Tognarellis on Market St Farnworth and then walked the last mile home to be met my Grandma who was so relieved to see them and though they had been caught up in the disaster.

Asked my old man about it last night. His dad was there but wouldn't take him that day. Dad's sister delivered the BEN/Buff on a Saturday and came home to say there'd been trouble at the match with some deaths.

My dad, his sister and mum all had a few anxious hours waiting for my grandfather to come home. He had to walk back to Walkden as he hadn't been able to get on a bus. He'd been on the Lever End that day saw the bedlam but was unaware anything serious had gone on until he walked in

• Site Supporter

RIP

Interesting only 6 or 7 from Bolton.

Noticed that.

It was talked about during the video; folk tended to travel around the north west for the "game of the day".

After the war I suppose that football was the main entertainment and folk were just pleased to be able to go.

After the war I suppose that football was the main entertainment and folk were just pleased to be able to go.

That’s what my dad used to say and football was less tribal in those days so if there was a big game on folk would travel from far and wide to watch it. Particularly if Mathews was playing

Noticed that.

It was talked about during the video; folk tended to travel around the north west for the "game of the day".

And....Bolton drew fans from a much wider hinterland in those days

My Dad was there that day as a 16 year old and was on the Manny Rd side of the Embankment.He never seemed to want to talk about it when i was a kid growing up - so i never mithered him about it.

Didn't stop him being a White till his dying day though.

RiP

Edited by Burndens Bogs