Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

50 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Political point scoring as been used by opposition parties since day 1 of this pandemic, hence why i don't watch the news anymore, i just browse the news pages on the net.

Has it really?

I dont bother with newspapers these days but I must admit, my impression was that the Govt had been getting a relatively easy ride until lately.

The opposition, weak as they are, seem to be bending over backwards not to be antagonistic or seen as point scoring.

There's still lots to come out in the wash yet but if this had been Corbyn in charge I'm sure there'd be a lot more furore over us currently appearing to be the worst performing country in Europe.  

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Bloke has the worst job in the UK at the moment, i am willing to cut him some slack, he was wrong about her tone, although at the same time she was aiming to political point score.

The people we should be turning on are those who think lockdown is over, and that isn't the Government's fault. The Police seem to be doing fuck all as far as i can see, but i suspect they want to avoid confontation, which means they are in the wrong job.

I'd rather do his job than hers.

If what she asked is 'political point scoring' (and inherently bad), then you might as well not bother questioning the government at all. Just sit back and let them tell you that we're smashing all our targets and everyone is looking at how successful we've been.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Whilst a higher number is obviously devastating, there is the positive that it likely means loads of us have been infected.

Those antibody tests really need to be sorted. Are we any closer?

I bet less than 10% have had it so far. Swedish decision makers think it's 20-25% so far (at least in Stockholm county anyway) 

I hope I'm wrong because that will mean this will be over sooner, but not many agree with Sweden at the moment.

There's multiple scientists testing the antibody tests for accuracy, so they will eventually work out which one is the most accurate and develop from there, no idea how long that will take,  findings will have to be published and peer reviewed to check the accuracy so god knows - might be today, could be weeks off. 

There's 120 different ones apparently, with new ones planned so you would think they're going to get better soon.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wiggy said:

Just been asked by a friend's wife to go over and celebrate his 45th birthday tomorrow. Whilst she was clear that she wanted the families to social distance I still told her we won't be going. If others see us having a party on their drive then inevitably that just makes them want to do the same. Some people are having a truly horrible time right now and I don't want to contribute to it carrying on a second longer than it needs to. People need to stop being so fucking selfish. Just stay the fuck at home.

Fucking loads of people have had a shit 18th, 21st, missed their wedding, not been able to attend funerals... No one aged 45 wants a party to celebrate their 45th... Go over and kick them in the cunt, when it's safe to do so.

6 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Fucking loads of people have had a shit 18th, 21st, missed their wedding, not been able to attend funerals... No one aged 45 wants a party to celebrate their 45th... Go over and kick them in the cunt, when it's safe to do so.

Indeed

On 04/05/2020 at 20:07, mickbrown said:

This app. Downloading. Yay or nay?

It's a bit of a poor choice TBH. The Europeans are predominantly going with Apple and Google based systems prompting the usual accusations levelled against the IT giants harvesting personal data - but most European Governments reckon that their security is better than most and - let's be honest - they have us by the nuts already.

We on the other hand are going with a much dodgier app that is being marketed as "the NHS app" but is in fact made by Faculty, the firm formed by ex-Cambridge Analytica employees who have been rewarded for engineering Brexit with multiple Government contracts including work for NHSX and Palantir, the Californian data mining software company. The development of the Covid app wasn't even put out to tender by the NHS in the usual way - instead an extension to an existing Faculty contract was given.

But in going with a non-compatible non-mainstream platform it suggests that UK residents might not be able travel freely in Europe or the USA when restrictions are lifted.

Here is one article about the awarding of Government contracts to Faculty.

What stood out for me was "Faculty’s government work with Palantir on Covid-19 is based out of NHSX, the digital technology arm of the health service. This work was awarded to Faculty in March under the government’s fast-track procedures to respond to the pandemic, without any other firms being asked to bid for it."

"Anonymised data" is a myth as tests have shown so it comes down to who you actually trust and I trust Facult and Palantir about as far as I can chuck Blackpool Tower given their track record.

So in answer to the question, I won't be downloading the pseudo-NHS app but may download one of the Apple ones as they already have all my data.

Mate of mine lives in Christchurch, NZ and his Dad was basically dying in an Auckland hospital for a week. Level 4 lockdown meant he couldn't go and see him.

By the time of his funeral, reduction to Level 3, with no less than Govt permission he flew to Auckland to say goodbye. 

Edited by jayjayoghani

36 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Has the Roche antibody test not been approved for use by the FDA and in Europe, they seem to be claiming it has?

https://www.roche.com/media/releases/med-cor-2020-05-03.htm

Yep, it's accuracy is based on testing people at least 14 days after infection, and we don't know how well it works for people with v low antibody count (those who had it ages ago), so not good for v recent or current infected asymptomatic, and unknown for long term. PHE are carrying out tests on it now, should get results this week or next.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Those antibody tests really need to be sorted. Are we any closer?

I think they're still a million miles away mate, firstly from them exiting, and secondly and more importantly from them being mass produced so that every person can have one

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think they're still a million miles away mate, firstly from them exiting, and secondly and more importantly from them being mass produced so that every person can have one

How are feeling now after your bout. Have you fully recovered?

1 minute ago, deane koontz said:

How are feeling now after your bout. Have you fully recovered?

I feel a lot better, and am almost back to full strength, it's taken four weeks though and I was "fairly" healthy before hand. I'm now overly paranoid about getting it again, so I've hardly left the house (expect for walking the dog) in a month. It's fair to say, when you've had it once, you don't fancy getting it again

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Thats your opinion, i am at the point were we can review all this when this WORLD pandemic is over.

Targets are set, some are achieved and some have failed, thats what targets are.

So you still don’t think it’s a complete shitshow?

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I suppose it depends which side of the political fence you sit on, on how folk view things, personally i think there has been too much of it, our media have been pretty shit in how they have reported and this, and we do have the least untusted media/press in the world.

Our press are a bunch of shite hawks for sure and also largely right wing too.  4 or 5 weeks ago they were reporting how appalling the situation was in Italy.  Now, using the Govts own figures, the UK has surpassed their death toll, they should be reporting it as such.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

You think they are right wing, i think they are anti-Government to whichever Government is in place. 

Death is appalling, on all fronts, i don't think anyone could disagree with that.

Nah mate. With all due respect, that is fucking bollox. The press are usually so far up the government’s jacksie they need snorkels. 

It’s definitely a sign things aren’t going well if the usual suspects are going for them. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Like i said, review this when its all over not when we are in the middle of it.

Which is eminently sensible

Why do we review when it's over, that's daft. Strategic planning should be questioned daily. What is the outcome? Are we reaching set markers? Are the markers correct? What do we need to miss out? How do we adapt?

Evaluate afterwards certainly but something like this needs constant review - and yes scrutiny.  

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure what your point is there. She's an mp, asking questions in parliament.

He isn't.

more about Q&As to fit narratives