Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who would live in Bolton?

crawshawbooth

I've lived in Tonge Moor, Harwood, Bromley Cross, Bradley Fold, Brightman and Heaton.

Also had 3 years in Germany, 1 in Aberdeen and 4 in Huddersfield.

JFTR, Bolton is miles better than Huddersfield. Its weird there. Proper village mentality, like being in the pub and hearing, "Whats he doing in here? He's from Marsden."

34 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I've lived in Tonge Moor, Harwood, Bromley Cross, Bradley Fold, Brightman and Heaton.

JFTR, Bolton is miles better than Huddersfield. Its weird there. Proper village mentality, like being in the pub and hearing, "Whats he doing in here? He's from Marsden."

Yorkshire Weirdos

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, embankment said:

Obviously a statement from a guy who has never ordered.

Egg Fried Rice , 1 meat pie and a large carton of curry sauce . Absolute heaven.

Salt n pepper wings and prawn balls to die for.

Never had Chinese from there but the only time I've been had sausage,chips peas and gravy.

Opened it up and there were four long black hairs on it and the chips looked like frozen chips. Since been told they are

• Members
53 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Germany Germany? Or Germany?

• Members

Hope to be living in Bolton every August starting next season year for the foreseeable future if plans fall into place and Covid 19 travel restrictions allow.

This probably means watching the first few League One matches in 2021/2022, the first few Championship matches in 2022/2023 and the first few Premier League matches in 2023/2024. I've not mentioned this to 'er indoors just yet.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

My brother was stood at the bar in Barristers once. Lived away for 30 years so you could say lost his Bolton-ness.

Literally had done nothing but stand there when some twat growled at him what are you having, WHITE WINE?! 

Westhoughton wise I've never understood casa nostras success, it's a pretty average Italian but it's like mecca to cow heads always packed, my parents still live in westhoughton and they love it.. Charlies is a lot better then it was, certainly better then when Charlie was there spitting in the chip fat.

Live in Teesside now, I dont think you appreciate how much is on your doorstep living in the area until you leave, two major cities, good train and motorway links, airport.. not lived in Bolton since I was 18, love visiting and proud of coming from there, people slagging it off is pretty lazy, good and bad bits like anywhere, never should have got rid of market hall though 

51 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Hope to be living in Bolton every August starting next season year for the foreseeable future if plans fall into place and Covid 19 travel restrictions allow.

This probably means watching the first few League One matches in 2021/2022, the first few Championship matches in 2022/2023 and the first few Premier League matches in 2023/2024. I've not mentioned this to 'er indoors just yet.

Well that fucking seals it 

Bolton born and bred. well Kearsley actually but we'll not split hairs.

I left the area when I around 22 and have lived in various parts of the UK with work but finally settled just outside Macclesfield about 19 years ago and here I'll stay until I retire in 4 years and will then probably go and live in Portugal but keep a small place in Macclesfield.

I will always be a Boltonian and I am proud of the town and its people and compared to some places I've lived and worked its beautiful. Apart from matches I still get back to visit families and to stock up on Wilsons pies.

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

What does howfen mean then?

It's a shortened version of Westhoughton......

Get rid of the West bit, then change Houghton to Howfen....

They're a bit different in these parts.....

13 hours ago, embankment said:

The quaint village of Westhoughton.

2 train stations, 2 craft ale bars, 1 joey holts pub , Charlies Chippy , Balti Taste, Casa Nostra, Mangrove , Hardware Store and an Aldi.

Surrounded by countryside walks . And a 25min stroll to BWFC.

Oh and Jeep , Myself and Victor live there.

If you’re claiming Daisy Hill station then you might as well claim Rosehill as a second Holt’s pub. 

13 hours ago, Blondi said:

So where do all the posh folk live in Bolton? Always thought Heaton and Lostock are the posher places.

Heaton is a weird one. £1m+ houses on CNR, but where other half used to live behind COR Morrisons was pretty ropey even 5-6 years ago. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

:D 

when I look at the word houghton I’d never in a million years think to pronounce it howfen.  

Where in Christ’s teeth does the F come from 

Haulgh

Similar

And hough fold way...even moreso

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If you’re claiming Daisy Hill station then you might as well claim Rosehill as a second Holt’s pub. 

Heaton is a weird one. £1m+ houses on CNR, but where other half used to live behind COR Morrisons was pretty ropey even 5-6 years ago. 

I used to lived at the back of Morrisons for 6 years, up until 2012. We saw there area change loads I thought. A lot more sketchy folk and bag heads knocking about. 

As Harry who ran the corner shop near us used to say, (in your best Apu voice) "this used to be Heaton, it's now Halliwell" 😁

29 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Morrison's on COR is in Halliwell for me, the old methodist church which is further up the road definitely used to get listed as Halliwell.

Beverly Rd we were on. Two very contrasting ends to that street. Morrisons end, passing the cobbled terrace with trees growing out of houses and a scrap yard outside and then CNR end, facing the riches of Bolton school and them sizable houses. Always sitting ont fence, we were pretty much exactly half way up the street 😁

Filmed a scene for life on Mars in our backstreet, probably speaks volumes as well. 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

:D 

when I look at the word houghton I’d never in a million years think to pronounce it howfen.  

Where in Christ’s teeth does the F come from 

It's Wigan overspill, so it's Wigan speakrather than Bolton speak, in reality

57 minutes ago, boogs said:

Beverly Rd we were on. Two very contrasting ends to that street. Morrisons end, passing the cobbled terrace with trees growing out of houses and a scrap yard outside and then CNR end, facing the riches of Bolton school and them sizable houses. Always sitting ont fence, we were pretty much exactly half way up the street 😁

Filmed a scene for life on Mars in our backstreet, probably speaks volumes as well. 

Other half was on Musgrave Road so literally the next street along. 

59 minutes ago, boogs said:

I did some summer work in the warehouse opposite Morrisons across the street from Mo's bakery (work boots for sale in the pie cabinet?!). It felt like a step into the 1800's in that warehouse, orrible.

My bro in law lives on Shrewsbury Road just off Beverley Road. Watching an Uber driver try and get between the double parked cars up that street is interesting.