Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

I see Harry is replicating his club form for his country.

I went watching Scotland when I was working up there and they were playing the Faroes in a Euro 96 qualifier against the Faroes. Super John started and scored after 5 minutes  and Andy Walker on the bench.

• Site Supporter

Always get confused these days after England games who to blame/give credit to.

After a very good win and performance I’m guessing we are ok lauding and celebrating our young guns?

But I would be pushing it giving Southgate any credit for his selection, preparation and management as it was only Scotland, he brought McGuire on and the virtue signaller is yet to win the World Cup?

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The question now is can this England team do this at a major championship and not quite stumble at the last (or latter) hurdle.

I think we’ve shown we can win and dominate games like this consistently at major tournaments now. Has to be about those games against the big teams. We’ve got to step up a bit in the big games. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Fckg Hell Duck. What'cha about.

I hope he comes on with a face like a slapped arse & put an o.g. in.

I pressed send on that post just as he booted it in the daft get!!

Great win tonight though. Bellingham absolutely class. Just wish Eze could have scored from that brilliant bit of skill he did.

4 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Tenuous link:

Walker score against Ukraine and then assists for Foden

Foden scores and assists for Bellingham

Bellingham scores then assists for Kane

So Kane will assist for next England goal?

I'm talking crap again.

Maybe won't start in the friendly v Australia a few days before the Italy home qualifier.

27 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

FFS - they both support Scotland as do Hibs and Hearts.

Especially when they play England who are the common enemy.

There were Rangers fans in the Scotland end tonight supporting England.

There were also England fans in the away with Rangers flags.

• Members
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

He might be a red but he's never let England down. I hope he (Maguire) scores now to shove it right up em.

I was actually thinking the same about him scoring off a corner or similar and giving them the cupped ears. Other than that though he really shouldn't be playing for England in his current psychological state.

Every single time he touches the ball you can sense the nervousness and likeliness of a fuck up.

• Members
46 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

FFS - they both support Scotland as do Hibs and Hearts.

Especially when they play England who are the common enemy.

Trust someone with a greater insight matey. Not all Rangers fans back England and not all of the other lot back the ROI. In both cases though, the percentage who do is significant.

It gets all too complex for some so just accept that Falkirk, Cowdenbeath, Thistle and Accies fans etc. support Scotland. Don't worry about the other two. It will get you flustered.

• Members
22 minutes ago, gonzo said:

There were Rangers fans in the Scotland end tonight supporting England.

There were also England fans in the away with Rangers flags.

Don't mate. There'll be steam coming out of his ears if you overload him with complexities.

• Members
5 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Never understood this attempt at an insult.  Rich folk can believe in wealth redistribution too. And fair fucks to them as it's them who lose out. 

You encourage them mate. We need their numbers to grow and prosper then silly fuckers up north will finally realise what kind of twats have hijacked their party and stop paying their wages/Bollinger tab with their union dues.

• Members
26 minutes ago, L/H White said:

That Robertson mistake was far worse than Maguire's, but that won't get a mention 

Wrong. I have been communicating with some sweaties back in Perth today. They sent me a photo of Robertson and Kane in the older shirts with a caption "One of these players has won the Champions League, Premier League etc. etc. and the other one is the England captain".

I sent them a nice congratulation on the excellence of the bemedalled one's assist. Silence.

10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s if we’re playing Scotland… very debatable against the best sides. 

Colwill and Stones is comfortably our best partnership when everyone is fit these days. 

Then you have Guehi, Tomori, White, Dunk and even someone like Konsa (who is better and more deserving of a call up and minutes than Maguire), who have all had good or great games against top tier domestic sides over the last couple years. 

The biggest debate is whether Maguire is even a capable footballer any more, never mind against the better European sides. 

10 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Trust someone with a greater insight matey. Not all Rangers fans back England and not all of the other lot back the ROI. In both cases though, the percentage who do is significant.

I count both Huns and Hoops amongst my friends and sure both are supportive of other teams but are united in their support for Scotland when it comes to playing England and in general in my experience. I've stood with the Scotland fans in Hampden for this fixture a few times most memorable of which were our 5 nil thrashing of them in 73 when the Celtic fans I was with on that occasion protected my on the way out of the game and the following year when Jimmy Johnstone ripped us a new one when the Rangers fans I went with only took the piss for a month or so - even though they were slightly conflicted as it was one of Celtic's finest who'd done the damage. That was the first time I saw Jinky play and he was so small I thought they'd mistakenly brought on the ball boy - weird seeing as they had Bremner in the same team. Only been to Hampden for internationals a handful of times in the intervening years but haven't stood with the Scotland fans since those earlier matches however if there's one thing that unites the Glasgow (and Edinburgh) club fans it's the common hatred of their "colonialist oppressors" as they like to think of us.

There is a small minority of both Orangemen and Hibernians/Columbans who put their respective causes ahead of their countries when it comes to football allegiance - but even though both sets of organisations posture a lot, in reality the vast majority of their respective communities don't. For sure they'll sing the songs and pay lip service  but there's nothing like putting one over on the English to make their day.

11 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

The biggest debate is whether Maguire is even a capable footballer any more, never mind against the better European sides. 

The other question is whether Maguire is negatively affected by the questions that surround him. He's generally been cool, calm and collected for England in the past but getting dropped by United and getting grief online and in the media etc can't have helped with his mental state which is far from ideal. And given that the Scotland fans were giving him grief every time he touched the ball from the moment he came on to the pitch I have to wonder if it actually worked and forced the error?

None of that is his fault but it is what it is so why pick a wounded soldier to fight the battle when you have perfectly healthy ones ready to step in?

• Members
23 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I count both Huns and Hoops amongst my friends and sure both are supportive of other teams but are united in their support for Scotland when it comes to playing England and in general in my experience. I've stood with the Scotland fans in Hampden for this fixture a few times most memorable of which were our 5 nil thrashing of them in 73 when the Celtic fans I was with on that occasion protected my on the way out of the game and the following year when Jimmy Johnstone ripped us a new one when the Rangers fans I went with only took the piss for a month or so - even though they were slightly conflicted as it was one of Celtic's finest who'd done the damage. That was the first time I saw Jinky play and he was so small I thought they'd mistakenly brought on the ball boy - weird seeing as they had Bremner in the same team. Only been to Hampden for internationals a handful of times in the intervening years but haven't stood with the Scotland fans since those earlier matches however if there's one thing that unites the Glasgow (and Edinburgh) club fans it's the common hatred of their "colonialist oppressors" as they like to think of us.

There is a small minority of both Orangemen and Hibernians/Columbans who put their respective causes ahead of their countries when it comes to football allegiance - but even though both sets of organisations posture a lot, in reality the vast majority of their respective communities don't. For sure they'll sing the songs and pay lip service  but there's nothing like putting one over on the English to make their day.

:lazy: Thought you'd be more excited about that bulletproof train from Pyongyang.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, globaldiver said:

Bellingham reminds me of Pele

I watched a little clip of his goal again.

Does a bit of "skill" and then works again to get into a scoring position. 

I watched Rashford in the same move, and the body language and effort by him in comparison is chalk and cheese.

It's only one clip of course, and Rashford showed some lovely touches last night, but he also frustrates me; he could deliver much more. It's as if his mind wanders.