Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (a)

L/H White

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm sure that was said after Ipswich, Shrewsbury, Morecambe, Charlton too (and 2nd half Cambridge).  Who cares, its about being reasonably solid at the back and having some creativity elsewhere, played in a formation that suits the players, with round pegs in round holes.  As you say, we've got our club back and its ace!

Oh it probably was, it just comes from the position that you know they can do so much more, when it clicks we can destroy teams. But today whilst we could have been a bit better in possession we got an incredible result against one of the better sides in the division, so you can't ask for much more. The best teams win, ugly or beautiful, they win and that is what we are doing. 

(It was far from ugly today)

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Was limited to iFollow commentary today as we were out and about, but my lad jumped on me as if we were there when Bakayoko scored. Just fucking beautiful.

My dad rang me as the pea was still rolling about in the refs whistle at full time and shouted down the phone. 77 years old. Your boy has got it for life 👍

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

My dad rang me as the pea was still rolling about in the refs whistle at full time and shouted down the phone. 77 years old. Your boy has got it for life 👍

Ace 

My lad has asked "as its half term... Can I go if we're at home on Tuesday night". 

I'm borderline Burton! 🤣 

• Members
2 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Ace 

My lad has asked "as its half term... Can I go if we're at home on Tuesday night". 

I'm borderline Burton! 🤣 

GET ON IT 
mate midweek away games will live with him forever. If you can take him then take him 

5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Really? We were shit but a wins a win 

Get in!!!!

Just caught up with this reply, fucking hell, what do you want from a team on it's arse not long ago and on a great run and you call our performance today shit. Dear me.

Edited by leigh white

• Site Supporter

Not read back much of this thread but delighted with that win and to be honest, I really enjoyed the game as a whole. Even at 2-1 down, said to the lads it’s a cracking game and more goals in it yet.

This team stinks of one that’s championship bound. Maybe not at the end of this season but if we can take this momentum forward, we’re having this league next year

1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

I can't wait til my lad is old enough. To be fair i think hed sit and watch now at nearly 7 months. He's certainly loud enough 😂

Took my youngest day before his 2nd bday... Was a little un next to me today about the same age (not 42), didn't have a clue what was going on, but buzzing his little nappy off at the high fives he was getting

3 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

List my ticket in Hollywood bowl when I pulled my phone out, went to their ticket office, bird asked me for proof of purchase, and printed one off, salt. Of the fucking earth she was

A crayon-eating friend of mine did yhis away to Fulham one Tuesday night match.

Went to the ticket office, explained he'd lost his 2 tickets, they asked if he knrw the seat numbers (he didn't) & they replaced them.

He said "that's very kind of you. What if it was, say, Liverpool you were playing ?"

"Oh, in that case I'd tell them to fck off".

I do like Fulham.

• Members
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Just caught up with this reply, fucking hell, what do you want from a team on it's arse not long ago and on a great run and you call our performance today shit. Dear me.

It’s a mental thing to say mate. They’re a good side. Attacked well and so did they 

• Site Supporter

The only criticism I had was Bolton’s inability to win the second ball. It seemed in the first half at least, nearly every loose ball was picked up by Oxford or, on the odd occasion Bolton won, they pretty soon made an error of judgment and gifted the ball back.

Only later in the second half did loose balls start to stick.

A win’s a win though. Onwards and upwards.

5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not me.  He's a footballer, who happens to play up front.  OK if he's missing sitters every week he'll get criticism as anyone would, but I don't care if he never shoots, he contributes in different ways.  Especially if we continue to play with 2 strikers and a No 10, which is just a breath of fresh air after the Doyle-on-his-own days.

Fair enough mate, still early days as he's not even started yet but you can tell why he's a highly capped international footballer off of his cameos. Don't care who Evatt puts in the team atm they're all pulling their weight! COYWM

I can see what @Burndens Bogs is getting at to be fair. Oxford played much better football on the whole than us. Kept possession effectively, made some well-worked chances. Billy Bodin was causing us all sorts of problems. A stunning free kick, turned MJ inside-out before placing one in the bottom corner. On the highlights in the first clip, he does a lovely scoop pass which sells 3 of our players and the number 9 puts it barely past the post. We were lucky Bodin went off injured.

Second half they dominated the ball even more but we defended resolutely limiting them to a few half chances which they spurned with wasteful shooting. The only shots I can remember us having in the second 45 were Charles' shot that went straight at the keeper, and the goal.

We won because we battled and took our chances. We also came from behind twice, which is a massive improvement on the start of the season where we folded after going behind at all. Reminded me of the game last year that was also 3-2 and Arthur Gnahoua scored the winner. Mansfield Away I think...