Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Absolutely. 

The covid thing is also something I've spoken about, and is bizarre. 

It's been mentioned on the news a few times about people acting up at concerts (concerts, not gigs!) since covid as well, chucking stuff on stage etc.

The whole coke thing seems a bit out of control at the moment too, to me. It's always been there since I've been going but currently it's rife. 

I'm in danger of sounding like I'm getting old (ahem) but some of the current scene at games gets on my tits and is perhaps egged on by a social media peer pressure to act as mad as possible at games, like celebrating a goal like a total fucking lunatic. Why just have a bounce around and and a bit of ecstatic swearing when you could throttle someone and drag your mates down a few rows into a heap instead? Might get you a few likes on football aways days that!

I've never been able to understand why any so-called fan would abuse one of our own players or manager during a game if only because it can only demotivate them and make matters worse not better.

Don't usually let it bother me except once away at Ipswich when some twat was loudly bawling out everyone all the time whilst his young kids looked on embarrassed and I had to advise him to stop. He said I had no right to question his right to abuse the team. I asked him if he was questioning my right to smack dickheads who were ruining my matchday experience. Turned out he wasn't. Smattering of applause when he STFU.

I just don't understand how they think it helps the team they're supposed to be supporters of.

20 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I've never been able to understand why any so-called fan would abuse one of our own players or manager during a game if only because it can only demotivate them and make matters worse not better.

Don't usually let it bother me except once away at Ipswich when some twat was loudly bawling out everyone all the time whilst his young kids looked on embarrassed and I had to advise him to stop. He said I had no right to question his right to abuse the team. I asked him if he was questioning my right to smack dickheads who were ruining my matchday experience. Turned out he wasn't. Smattering of applause when he STFU.

I just don't understand how they think it helps the team they're supposed to be supporters of.

So you’ve never expressed annoyance or frustration at a player or the manager Lusty? I have lots of times but it doesn’t end up in personal abuse. Most people go to games to let off steam and long may that continue otherwise it would be a pretty dull place to be. Players can’t have it both ways loving hearing the crowd cheering when they do something good but showing frustration when they make mistakes. It’s all part of the game and I’m sure players accept that but personal abuse is something completely different and not acceptable under any circumstance.

14 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

So you’ve never expressed annoyance or frustration at a player or the manager Lusty? I have lots of times but it doesn’t end up in personal abuse. Most people go to games to let off steam and long may that continue otherwise it would be a pretty dull place to be. Players can’t have it both ways loving hearing the crowd cheering when they do something good but showing frustration when they make mistakes. It’s all part of the game and I’m sure players accept that but personal abuse is something completely different and not acceptable under any circumstance.

Is that just to our own players or players in general? 

Last night we lost 1-3 to Middlesbrough. In a cup competition.

Middlesbrough who last season were 4th in the Chamionship. We outplayed them in the first half, but we're outplayed in the second. It was 1-1 until added time.

We look on the match thread, here ... not Twitter/X, not the B(E)N ... but hete, to find plenty of "well we'd better buck up if Sharon wants us not to get angry" posts.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Last night we lost 1-3 to Middlesbrough. In a cup competition.

Middlesbrough who last season were 4th in the Chamionship. We outplayed them in the first half, but we're outplayed in the second. It was 1-1 until added time.

We look on the match thread, here ... not Twitter/X, not the B(E)N ... but hete, to find plenty of "well we'd better buck up if Sharon wants us not to get angry" posts.

Absolutely mad innit.

Edited by Cheese

14 hours ago, royal white said:

Is that just to our own players or players in general? 

Both RW, it doesn’t matter who they are or play for. You can have a moan and groan but real abuse is unacceptable. I actually think some players thrive on the crowd though, look at Dioufy, he loved it when the crowd gave him stick and it seemed to lift him. Dapo also used to get the crowd going and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t get personal. Isn’t that what helps make an atmosphere after all?

16 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Sure I get frustrated but that's more to do with our situation than anything else. Last night for example we were playing against a team of players with >£million price tags - something we can't get anywhere near.

Last season's Boro squad cost £58.3 million (haven't got more recent figures) just to provide some perspective (BTW Derby's was £62.5 million although they've obviously trimmed it back now)

I can't blame the manager or the players for being what they are and anyway, personal abuse achieves nothing.

Problem is we have a lot of fans who don't realise we're already punching above our weight and have totally unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Wanderlust

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Shouting at millionaires.

its baffling

More baffling than paying hundreds of pounds a year to watch millionaires kick a ball around, or singing the names of millionaires who could not give the slightest fuck about you, or bouncing up and down because one of them did something good?

The whole thing is mad, but football as a business doesn't exist without the weird passion that goes along with it. And that causes extreme results in both directions.

That's not to say it's a complete free for all, but it'd be good see some examples of what is supposed to have crossed the line here.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

it'd be good see some examples of what is supposed to have crossed the line here.

course it would

and if its some nobhead shouting

evatt, you know fuck all, youve no fucking plan b, tippy tappy shit, just fuck off and take gethin john and iredale (could be anybody, but is seems its their turn) with you

then, thats not a banning offence....even though its plenty good reason for me to think the shouter is an absolute cockend

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Both RW, it doesn’t matter who they are or play for. You can have a moan and groan but real abuse is unacceptable. I actually think some players thrive on the crowd though, look at Dioufy, he loved it when the crowd gave him stick and it seemed to lift him. Dapo also used to get the crowd going and that’s fine as long as it doesn’t get personal. Isn’t that what helps make an atmosphere after all?

Yes agree with most of that however I suppose it comes down to what the abuser and the abused feel is personal. I bet we’ve both been at games when 1000s have been calling the ref a wanker or Peter crouch a freak. Both are personal insults yet I doubt many on here in the past haven’t either joined in or had a giggle at their expense. 

5 hours ago, Popeye doyle said:

I’ve been mulling over whether to buy this, but it does say a lot of Ultras are foot soldiers of the mafia. Apologising is maybe a wise move.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Tobias-Jones-ebook/dp/B07JNR8GRT/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2VYQCEU4378BK&keywords=ultras+football&qid=1693377524&sprefix=Ultras+foo%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

Fantastic book that, can definitely recommend. Covers the Italian ultra scene and history in general but the author also spends a season with Cosenza's ultras and travels around Italy with them. Might read it again actually.

If you're into the subject, "1312: Among The Ultras" by James Montague is really very good too. That covers European ultras in places like Serbia, Sweden, Russia etc but also internationally in Brazil and Indonesia (probably the maddest of the lot!).

42 minutes ago, royal white said:

Yes agree with most of that however I suppose it comes down to what the abuser and the abused feel is personal. I bet we’ve both been at games when 1000s have been calling the ref a wanker or Peter crouch a freak. Both are personal insults yet I doubt many on here in the past haven’t either joined in or had a giggle at their expense. 

True RW though I think refs get used to it and see it as something they have to live with. Again with Peter Crouch, I think he actually enjoyed winding the crowds up with his silly dances but took it in good humour. I think what we seem to be talking about here though is past that and comes down to real personal abuse and insults which there can’t be any excuse for. I suspect all footballers accept they’ll get stick from time to time and that’s par for the course as is the adulation in the good times but when it exceeds that it’s not acceptable and needs to be called out.

• Moderators

Been led to believe IE was confronted inside the stadium by Bolton fans who were in corporate 

They told him in no uncertain terms the team had been shit and it was his responsibility 

He retorted, though not sure to what extent 

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Been led to believe IE was confronted inside the stadium by Bolton fans who were in corporate 

They told him in no uncertain terms the team had been shit and it was his responsibility 

Then we must know who they are and depending on the severity of what was said, deal with them accordingly.

19 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Fantastic book that, can definitely recommend. Covers the Italian ultra scene and history in general but the author also spends a season with Cosenza's ultras and travels around Italy with them. Might read it again actually.

If you're into the subject, "1312: Among The Ultras" by James Montague is really very good too. That covers European ultras in places like Serbia, Sweden, Russia etc but also internationally in Brazil and Indonesia (probably the maddest of the lot!).

I’ll take a look at the 1312 book too. I’ll read one of them for sure.

cheers.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Well unless it got personal can’t see an issue with that

1 hour ago, Zico said:

37 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Well unless it got personal can’t see an issue with that

Yeah, they do have a point to an extent.
The buck has to stop with the manager if performances aren't up to scratch.

There's no getting away from the Wigan game being unacceptable from a commitment/standards viewpoint and I wasn't massively impressed by us at Burton.

• Site Supporter

It's how you say things that count.

If you're aggressive, maybe pissed etc, swearing and rude then maybe he's right to be hacked off.

If it's put in a fair and reasonable manner, and he can't take it, then that's different. 

Personally, I reckon its probably the former.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Personally, I reckon its probably the former.

most probably

and if so, no need and get em ona final warning

i have a much bigger problem with this sort of behaviour if its up close and personal

i would say, that i dont think it was this sort of stuff SB was on about

shes seemingly referring to shouts within the stadium but outside, which im wary of condemning so long as it doesnt cross the usual boundaries of decency