Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton Albion (A)

burnden

Just back.....disappointed that we didn't hold the 3 points we deserved, just needed to take another of the chances we created

but....i'd have taken a point pre match, we matched them physically, no more getting bullied, Thommo was hit & miss with the ball but seemed to relish the battle & played a big part in matching Burton's physicality, Victor had his best game for us so far & the defence stood up well.  More good than bad !!!

Burton are odd, they're not a bad team & seemed highly motivated for a game that meant little to them & their handful of fans celebrated a home draw.......they could give Derby problems on Saturday, hopefully.

16 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

8 points from the last 4 games is fine considering 3 games were away from home.

Another 8 points from the next 4 games will be enough to see us into the play-offs hopefully.

Im sure we will get the points needed to get into the playoffs, and think we have done fantastically well considering all the injuries. A major concern for the play offs though! We have not scored more than one goal in our last eight league  matches, that will have to improve if we want to progress.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Just back.....disappointed that we didn't hold the 3 points we deserved, just needed to take another of the chances we created

but....i'd have taken a point pre match, we matched them physically, no more getting bullied, Thommo was hit & miss with the ball but seemed to relish the battle & played a big part in matching Burton's physicality, Victor had his best game for us so far & the defence stood up well.  More good than bad !!!

Burton are odd, they're not a bad team & seemed highly motivated for a game that meant little to them & their handful of fans celebrated a home draw.......they could give Derby problems on Saturday, hopefully.

Pretty much the way I viewed the game, both before and after.

We can talk about trends and form all we want - subjectively we’ll view it to fit our outlook, positive or negative. 

Some will include Plymouth to fit their narrative, others will leave it out (although I’m not quite sure why you would!?) 

Even leaving it out, we’ve not lost in 5 league games now, while all around us they have. That for me (including beating the leaders 4-0!) is a good foundation leading into these last 4 games.

As per previous comments a decent point but disappointing given the performance. Lots more positives than negatives. Big Vic very good was surprised he went off. I do not get the stick Legohead GT gets, or the love in around Jerome. 
Shows how the run in fluctuates, we were lucky ish to get 3 points Saturday and results were good to us. Blew 2 points yesterday and results elsewhere were shit. 

20 minutes ago, desperado said:

Pretty much the way I viewed the game, both before and after.

We can talk about trends and form all we want - subjectively we’ll view it to fit our outlook, positive or negative. 

Some will include Plymouth to fit their narrative, others will leave it out (although I’m not quite sure why you would!?) 

Even leaving it out, we’ve not lost in 5 league games now, while all around us they have. That for me (including beating the leaders 4-0!) is a good foundation leading into these last 4 games.

Don't forget 4 of those 5 have been away games too:

Sheff Weds - on a 22 game unbeaten run

Exeter - 4 wins in a row at home

Oxford

Burton - Just beaten Barnsley & Sheff Weds at home

7 points in the next 3 games and we're almost there.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

There's absolutely nowt wrong with Thomason. 

Aye.

Not the dog's bollocks but we are a third division team. He'll get better after his lay off.

Not the first time his presence has seen us create more chances than without. A front foot player, with a bit of a "nasty streak" in a good sense.

Horses for courses, and it was certainly a good, pragmatic selection last night.

We're going to need all our available players now.

Thought we were marvellous last night apart from finishing and can’t see how they beat Wednesday and Barnsley.

Play like that for the rest of the season with our scoring boots on and we are in the championship next season

Trafford was outstanding and so was MJ. Special mention to Victor and Randell Williams who also had outstanding games. Apart from his lack of hitting the target Thomason won everything in midfield

1 hour ago, woolli said:

Im sure we will get the points needed to get into the playoffs, and think we have done fantastically well considering all the injuries. A major concern for the play offs though! We have not scored more than one goal in our last eight league  matches, that will have to improve if we want to progress.

Two one-nils and a draw (score or otherwise) in the play-offs would do us just fine 😁.

2 hours ago, woolli said:

Weve got 1.71 a game over the season.

I know. I don't think the poster I was replying to was talking about the season in its entirety. We're not setting the world alight with performances but 'at the moment' we are returning 2 points per game.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Watching Thomason's miss, does he actually fail to make any contact at all?

Seems like he goes for a diving header and completely misses it, but not easy to tell.

The side net one afterwards is also a bad un.

He defintely made contact. Got himself too far in front of it and half attempted a sort of bicycle kick. Not criticising him though, thought he had a good game.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

and so was MJ

@DazBob

👀🤣

Cant disagree, he was really good yesterday. His positioning, interceptions, distribution and leadership were valuable yesterday.

We know his faults and limitations. But credit where it’s due, he’s filling in well in that position so far.

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seems like he goes for a diving header and completely misses it, but not easy to tell.

He was ahead of the ball - the nod down was a yard behind him. A striker would have slowed their run at the edge of the 6 yd box for a pull back instead of charging in, but he doesn't have those natural striker instincts. In the end he did well to get anything on the ball as the photo in the BN article clearly shows.

42 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It looks like, to me anyway, the ball is slightly behind him and he's trying wrap his foot around it.