Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

Evatt will no doubt look at the game at new year as a starting point for Friday, and what got us joy that afternoon. 

I'll say it quietly but Barnsley looking to push on and try to win it my well leave the gaps we need to hit them back - either wat you feel it's going to be as tight as Saturday.

Barnsley have some very effective tactics for this level

Solid defensive formation, long throws that are like corner kicks, strong high intensity midfielders who can shoot accurately from range, Connell with an excellent range of passing too. Devante Cole is also a handful of a striker.

Our style of play isn’t exactly suited to playing against them as they leave very little space in behind but equally are effective pressers, as opposed to a team like Morecambe who just sit back.

Morley and Sheehan nowhere near their best on Saturday. Would like to see Lee start ahead of Sheehan on Friday and Nlundulu for Kachunga.

If we can get Charles played in down the channels more then we should get more joy in the away leg. They’re not the sort of team that we’re going to score a 20 pass move against I don’t think.

15 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Has anybody mentioned the possibility of penalties on Friday night yet? I'm sure Evatt is giving some thought to it! 

That's when we need Dixon on the bench to do what notts county did on Saturday

One area that shithouse teams like these in League 1 that really expose of ours, is our inability to just put our laces through it and get us up the pitch when we need to!

We put so much pressure on ourselves by either miss hitting the ball or giving it away in our final 3rd when we are under pressure. I think this is what caused them to have so many throw ins and corner opportunities - Don't play into their hands

I also kept getting frustrated at when they had a corner or throw in, and we had no options up top. So when we half cleared it, we had no one to chase or hold it up and were under pressure all over again.

It's difficult to play against, but if we can, I am confident we will beat these.

We can't play too safe against them which is what we did on Saturday. We need to make them uncomfortable and get the ball down like we do and pass it around with tenacity and intent, and also go direct and play the ball behind their pressing full backs to Charles.

We did that perfectly in the 3-0 away in, before and after the red card.

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter

We under-estimate our opponents at times.

Part of the reason our passing was poor was because of their work-rate and pressure. They made it difficult, as others have, and in those games we have found it difficult to score goals. Have to have an alternative. 

Not sure the players are quite good enough (yet) to continually play the same way and regularly overcome the top sides.

Just feel we need a bit more steel in midfield, and not be afraid to play an earlier ball and turn their high press round. Make them defend facing their own goal a bit.

Anyway, we will see.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We under-estimate our opponents at times.

Part of the reason our passing was poor was because of their work-rate and pressure. They made it difficult, as others have, and in those games we have found it difficult to score goals. Have to have an alternative. 

Not sure the players are quite good enough (yet) to continually play the same way and regularly overcome the top sides.

Just feel we need a bit more steel in midfield, and not be afraid to play an earlier ball and turn their high press round. Make them defend facing their own goal a bit.

Anyway, we will see.

I do get that but on Saturday I literally saw Morley right in front of me make a 4 yard pass straight to their player.

They're human but we were pressed high against a superior side in Plymouth at Wembley and played right through it.

That's where the frustration lies, cause we are more than capable, Saturday was just a poor performance.

Yet despite all this like I said before they performed well and we performed poorly and it's 1-1! 

29 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

It’s a piece of piss to nullify us tactically 

1) press the centre halves from a GK so the Keeper has to go long

2) when the keeper does go long stand on Bradley’s toes 

3) block the pass in to midfield 

job done. 

We've struggled with this a fair few times too, it's worse when we are resorting to going long and it's to kachunga and Charles who are battling against 6ft 5 league 1 defenders.

I can only see us being braver on the ball and better with 1/2 touches through the press as the solution to our game.

That's how Brighton do it, City, Arsenal unfortunately for us we do have league 1 players.

We just need to get better at what we do, we will get there though.

Edited by Lostock Whites

29 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

We've struggled with this a fair few times too, it's worse when we are resorting to going long and it's to kachunga and Charles who are battling against 6ft 5 league 1 defenders.

I can only see us being braver on the ball and better with 1/2 touches through the press as the solution to our game.

That's how Brighton do it, City, Arsenal unfortunately for us we do have league 1 players.

We just need to get better at what we do, we will get there though.

I'd agree with that

We'd be much better improving what we do rather starting Adeboyejo in expectation of having to go long

35 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Barnsley have to come out and play this time, we are better on the counterattack, so it is an interesting 90 minutes coming up

Yep them opening up works better for us. 

have a feeling it’s going all the way though this one. Hardly anything between the sides 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

I do get that but on Saturday I literally saw Morley right in front of me make a 4 yard pass straight to their player.

They're human but we were pressed high against a superior side in Plymouth at Wembley and played right through it.

That's where the frustration lies, cause we are more than capable, Saturday was just a poor performance.

Yet despite all this like I said before they performed well and we performed poorly and it's 1-1! 

Aye, like I said, perhaps they're not quite good enough yet to do it regularly; for whatever reason, nerves, confidence, technique etc.

Morley in particular is very young, and they've changed his game slightly as well.

I suppose if the players can move up a level and do it more consistently, then promotion will be achieved. 

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

Barnsley have to come out and play this time, we are better on the counterattack, so it is an interesting 90 minutes coming up

If I was Michael Duff I’m not sure I’d be thinking that, I’d do exactly the same as the Saturday game

32 minutes ago, Mantra said:

If I was Michael Duff I’m not sure I’d be thinking that, I’d do exactly the same as the Saturday game

Agreed.  If they create as many half chances again as they did Saturday, they'll score at least once.   If we create as few as we did, we'll struggle to score.  It's Notts County revisited. I can see a 0-1 or 0-2 defeat. 

9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

He's been around, knows the game and has picked up some astute signings. It will be an interesting tactical battle with Evatt but we have to play our game and play it well. Morley's radar was off on Saturday largely because Duff made sure he had no time on the ball so we've got to stick with what we do at our best and impose it early on. That said, Duff will know that and will try to impose their game on us. Simple really - whoever plays their own game best will win.

If they force us into hoofing it again we're fooked.

Duff can think what he likes Lusty and if he wants to build his team on how he thinks we might play then I’m happy for him to do that. On our day we’re simply better than them so I’d rather we concentrate on what we do and how we play rather than worry what Duff might or might not do. That means we pick the 11 that play Evatt’s way best rather than trying to counter the way Barnsley play. Do that and I’m convinced we’ll win but either way I’m happy to leave IE to pick the best team for this game.

It’s all to play for on Friday. No need for pessimism. We’ve done a job here already this season and our away form of recent times has actually been better than our home form. 

They are a good team but so are we. Those going need to give their full backing to the team and play the part of the 12th man to help the lads get the job done.

Evatt and his team know how to play the occasion and I’ve no doubt we will prepare well for this.