Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Managerial Roundabout

superjohnmcginlay

20 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Mike Duff gone from Swansea. Wonder if he'll end up back at Barnsley

Said it before but it was one of the daftest appointments I’ve seen for a while. A club that has had multiple managers that play football the same way, lose Russell Martin who if anything is even more ‘play it out from the back’ than Evatt and then bring in Duff who’d just had a decent season with Barnsley but very much plays direct football - I don’t know what they expected!

If it wasn’t for the shares, the buy in with the ‘project’ etc. then I’d be slightly concerned we’d lose Evatt, because he’s the obvious person they’d go for, but as it is I just don’t think there’s any chance he’d even consider anyone outside of the prem at this stage.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Said it before but it was one of the daftest appointments I’ve seen for a while. A club that has had multiple managers that play football the same way, lose Russell Martin who if anything is even more ‘play it out from the back’ than Evatt and then bring in Duff who’d just had a decent season with Barnsley but very much plays direct football - I don’t know what they expected!

If it wasn’t for the shares, the buy in with the ‘project’ etc. then I’d be slightly concerned we’d lose Evatt, because he’s the obvious person they’d go for, but as it is I just don’t think there’s any chance he’d even consider anyone outside of the prem at this stage.

Aye that's what I thought 

Going back to Martinez they play a certain way 

Duff was the complete opposite 

But whilst they've had prem, what do they realistically expect 

• Members
12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He'd be gone if any of the Championship's current top three came in for him

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Tensions between him and the Sporting Director apparently

Which is another reason why Evatt wouldnt go

Like Allardyce, hes got the run of the place

He def wouldnt be stupid enough to go where you get 6 months, either

• Site Supporter

My Sunderland supporting mates love Mowbray and his brand of football. I'd imagine they'll be a bit miffed today.

That kid running them will probably try to make a statement and bring Jonny Foreigner in to replace him.

As for Swansea - they are just another ex prem club who won't end up back there any time soon. More likely to be L1 in 5 years time than prem

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

My Sunderland supporting mates love Mowbray and his brand of football. I'd imagine they'll be a bit miffed today.

That kid running them will probably try to make a statement and bring Jonny Foreigner in to replace him.

As for Swansea - they are just another ex prem club who won't end up back there any time soon. More likely to be L1 in 5 years time than prem

I'd forgotten the new owner is a 25yr old French kid worth £4bn via mummy & daddy. Has over 51% of shares so can more or less do what he wants.

Swansea ... became a shambles, but not financially down and out due to good players sales. They lose £15m or so each year but regularly find a few good players to sell on. It's 6 seasons now in the 2nd tier & I agree they're more likely to gently slither into the 3rd over time. They're currently 18th but there's a bunch of clubs hovering just over the relegation spots.