Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (H)

desperado

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, true white said:

Derby have been awful this year. Portsmouth drew to Cheltenham? A team who we played off park? We lost 3 point’s Saturday. Time to move on. We got one of best managers in league. Our squad is decent and should challenge. Time to stop worrying about Wigan and start backing our team. 

We're 4 games in so it is too soon to writ anyone off.

I'm certainly not doing that, but I see the same fragility that has been there for a season or two.

It's not a case of focusing on Wigan or anyone else, but focusing on ourselves leaves the same questions.

Nothing to do with not backing the team we as fans will continue to do that. 

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't forget about them, as they may well be challenging for a top 2 place. Which is my point, if we want automatic promotion,  we have to earn more points against those who also have a similar ambition.

They may well be challenging for top 2, but we only have 1 more game against them. Forget about them until January 6th. If nothing else, it'll be good for your soul.

We have players to come in and come back. Paris, CMG, Toal, George T, Bod, Ashworth, Forrester, are all options that can improve us. Evert might have a few other options he might bring in . Only takes a few injuries and the likes of Wigan are in trouble. Biggest strength we got is our manager. Would rather have him than Maloney all day long. He will get it right. One bad result does not make our season. 

20 minutes ago, Cheese said:

They may well be challenging for top 2, but we only have 1 more game against them. Forget about them until January 6th. If nothing else, it'll be good for your soul.

I think that's FA Cup 3rd round day. There's every chance that return fixture won't be then. It'll be a Tuesday night in Feb or March. If that happens let's hope they sustained more damage in the January window to balance their books.

Massive game for Wigan that - and we didn't turn up. 

I really can't see them keeping this form up over the course of the season with the squad they have. 

Although as commonly noted - I have a track record of being wrong about absolutely everything football related. 

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Cheese said:

Not relevant to the point I was making though.

I'm no more concerned by Wigan as any other decent side. Quite simply concerned that we may not be good enough to be in the top 2.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

just deposited loads of brown liquid thinking we could meet wigan in the playoffs 

It looks a weak league.I can't see there being two teams better than Wigan.They were the best side at the Reebok since Ipswich last season,They had a different style of play to Ipswich but the similarity was both had bigger, stronger men who won the physical battles, Bigger wage bills than Bolton of course, too.

The bookies pre season favourites were Derby and Bolton. Wigan have already beaten them both away from home.I don't think an 8 point deduction is enough for them not to be in the top 2.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Breightmet Boy said:

They ain't a good side, they drew at Carlisle and beat a terrible performance by ourselves, they won't be up there, not that I care if they are or not

Listening to Bolton FM on Saturday 

McGinlay was saying how Andy walker commentated on Carlisle v Wigan and they played some of the best football he'd seen at this level in a long time 

All depends on if they have the strength in depth to maintain it 

But if they do they'll be up there

Agree Zico, their first team squad, as of Saturday is arguably the strongest in L1 but I don’t think they have much behind it so a few injuries to key players and they may struggle a bit but there’s no doubt that if they can keep most fit they’ll definitely be pushing for the play offs at least.

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

👁️👁️

Is it safe to come out yet (not in a gay way, obv!)

I was away at the weekend. Did I miss anything? Can’t be arsed reading 29 pages. In summary, believe we got smashed. It kicked off in Westhoughton and folk now think we are worse than the teams Charlie Wright and Phil Neal turned out in the 80s?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Smiley said:

I was away at the weekend. Did I miss anything? Can’t be arsed reading 29 pages. In summary, believe we got smashed. It kicked off in Westhoughton and folk now think we are worse than the teams Charlie Wright and Phil Neal turned out in the 80s?

Pretty much. Plus we suddenly need to sign Giant Haystacks to smash people up.

On 22/08/2023 at 11:13, Roger_Dubuis said:

It looks a weak league.I can't see there being two teams better than Wigan.They were the best side at the Reebok since Ipswich last season,They had a different style of play to Ipswich but the similarity was both had bigger, stronger men who won the physical battles, Bigger wage bills than Bolton of course, too.

The bookies pre season favourites were Derby and Bolton. Wigan have already beaten them both away from home.I don't think an 8 point deduction is enough for them not to be in the top 2.

They’ll not be top 2, no depth whatsoever…. Last Saturday was their zenith, team that’s set up for that type of away day and much poorer at home than away. 

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They’ll not be top 2, no depth whatsoever…. Last Saturday was their zenith, team that’s set up for that type of away day and much poorer at home than away. 

Those amongst us who have been watching years know top 2 is stretching it. Survival was our initial aim but after seeing our games upto now even older sceptical fans like me are starting to think a lower end play off berth could be doable...ofcourse you're right regarding squad depth , I have these concerns when I look at the bench. Its a strange league upto now though where every bugger looks beatable...take Posh for example ripping it up then lose at Northampton ( who weren't half bad at our place to be honest ) and Barnsley have caved in . Oxford look decent, Derby spluttering but will come good eventually.  Still think you lot will finish top 2 and I'd take 6th now for us.

Anybody driving to Burton careful you don't turn south on the M6 at Stoke as I did 2 years ago...adds 27 miles onto journey going down to Stafford and doubling back.

I agree Rubber everybody does look beatable at the moment so anybody that keeps winning is in the pound seats. I do think your squad depth is your question mark because over a season you’ll need squad players at some point. I think we have to wait a couple of months yet to get any real indication of real challengers because one or two of those at the top will probably slip back. I think L1 is much more even this season than last so I don’t expect the points needed for automatics will be as high as last year. Still very early days yet so after your start I think you’ve a fair chance of making your 6th spot.

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I agree Rubber everybody does look beatable at the moment so anybody that keeps winning is in the pound seats. I do think your squad depth is your question mark because over a season you’ll need squad players at some point. I think we have to wait a couple of months yet to get any real indication of real challengers because one or two of those at the top will probably slip back. I think L1 is much more even this season than last so I don’t expect the points needed for automatics will be as high as last year. Still very early days yet so after your start I think you’ve a fair chance of making your 6th spot.

Can't argue with any of that...something else springs in my mind too. Very important week for both our managers...on one hand you have Evatt who has to instill in his players that Saturday has gone and one bad result doesn't make them a bad team. On the other hand Maloney has to instill in his players that Saturday has gone and one good result doesn't make them unbeatable.  Like last week only 3 points up for grabs but its how both sides react will define our immediate futures.

5 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

Can't argue with any of that...something else springs in my mind too. Very important week for both our managers...on one hand you have Evatt who has to instill in his players that Saturday has gone and one bad result doesn't make them a bad team. On the other hand Maloney has to instill in his players that Saturday has gone and one good result doesn't make them unbeatable.  Like last week only 3 points up for grabs but its how both sides react will define our immediate futures.

How very true RT, things can change very quickly and often do. Both Burton for us and the tykes for you have made indifferent starts but both could spring back into form so we both have to take great care and forget the past and concentrate entirely on future games.

• 3 months later...
On 22/08/2023 at 10:13, Roger_Dubuis said:

Roger chatting shit. Who would have thought it.