Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey (A)

matty2094

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I can't remember a better attacking header all season from open play 

You proper have an issue with how goals are scored :)

even got hung up on charles not scoring at home, i think

Attacking headers, ill go any that have gone on, so ill have iredale, exeter

Out of interest, why do you want to diregard the likes of toals header v wycombe

17 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Fully agree MK and I think that will be where Evatt’s looking in the window. Iredale isn’t a wing back, Ashworth isn’t good enough so with the way Evatt plays a new LWB is essential I think.

They only said the other week they would be probably going with what they have got in Jan 

Looking for positives; any Champ team watching us on Sky tonight won't be bidding for our players or chasing our manager. I also touched the ball late on, think that's the first time ever.

Downside - that 5 hour bastard drive tomorrow morning.  Safe journey to all them going back tonight.

Nights like tonight just make the good times sweeter when they come. KTF

• Site Supporter

We got what we deservedtonight. Santos and Toal got caught having an off day on the same night as Yengi had a field day. Shaunessys goal was just more bad defending.

They haven't been playing like that every week or else they would have been out of sight by now.

We'll be reet.

• The topic was unpinned

It's a feeling I had even during our winning run, but I don't think our full backs are good enough, even more so considering the formation and how reliant we are upon them.

Cogley and Williams are both so goddamn weak and poor with the ball and you never see them try and beat a man.

I don't felt that we have been "outplayed" in any of our defeats this season, which the statistics back up, but certainly outfought.

It's a mental issue that has still not been addressed. For the entire 2nd half what did we do?

Full credit to Pompey, they pressed hard and high and fought for the 50/50s. But their first goal and Charles miss just illustrated the performance, they wanted it more and we were poor.

Saying all of this, it's just 1 game and we have been good this season, 2nd in League with still 1/2 games in hand.

But if we want to get promotion we need to make games like today even more of a rare occurrence. Wether it's Pompey or Carlisle, we will get walked over if we don't fight.

Edited by Lostock Whites

50 minutes ago, Piemon said:

Felt like the game turned in their favour after the miss from Charles first half.

Fair play to Pompey second half we never got to grips with them.
Santos was tested tonight and knew he was in a game. Morley was garbage when he came on.

Good turnout of Wways faces. long old journey home tonight though. 

Dust ourselves down for Bristol on Saturday and go again. COYWM 

Well said.

• Site Supporter

Really pissed off tonight. Not because that’s season over or we can’t win the title or we’ve been found out and turned in our worst ever performance.

But because I genuinely thought we’d put a marker down tonight, live on sky, players full of confidence, getting the better of Portsmouth and make a real statement that we are the benchmark for this league.

It didn’t happen… tonight.

But that disappointment in real terms and that hypothetical marker if we had have won/drawn is just in the moment.  

It’s how we respond now that’s important.

Some of our key players tonight didn’t perform to their best through a combination of Portsmouth not allowing them and through poor decision making and execution. Santos, Charles and Thomason the key standouts there, with some unusual errors. 

But over these last few years they’ve always come back better and showed a determination and hunger to improve, so they’ll do it again - they are still young lads in the 3rd tier learning their trade - I sometimes forget this. 

Edited by desperado

Pompey's high press was excellent and we always intentionally play it around at the back to draw them and other teams on - Santos or Baxter standing on the ball waiting for them to come on for example. It's high risk.

Problem with it tonight is that we didn't get the second part of it right i.e. beating the press by passing it sharply through the lines and thereby gaining the extra man in attack - our passing was off for large periods of the game. Consequently when we did get the ball forward they were often able to double up on our wingbacks who were pushing forward waiting for attacking opportunities. They just didn't come very often and Sheehan was man marked a lot. Pompey had done their homework.

We just didn't move the ball around well enough and when we weren't caught trying to play out we were reduced to hoofing it forward which gave us no joy.

If our passing had been up to the usual standard we might have put them under a lot more pressure than we did.

Ultimately what cost us was a combination of quality Pompey pressure, too many poor passes and excellent tactics from Pompey who were the better team on the night.

How we react to that is now the issue.

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

We got beat.

Travelodge bar is stacked with wanderers fans on a Monday night, fuck it.

You went wrong. Ended up in a Southsea boozer with two 70s head BWFC fans, a Wolves fan (who’s shit) and his employee Derby fan. Two Pompey lads called it on but gave it up as a bad job having followed us for two pubs and cans in the street FFS. Just got back to hotel. Sometimes it’s about more than the game. 

• Site Supporter

Didn't play very well at all especially in the 2nd half but small margins and that game could have been so different.

Everybody knows Dion has to score THAT effort but he had another decent chance and Bod almost got on the end of Thimasons Cross.

Williams was fouled in the build up to their 1st.

We're not a bad team by any stretch. I genuinely feel at our best, we could have won but we were below par. It happens but I back us to start another good run on Saturday

7 hours ago, desperado said:

Why did you think that pal?

Evatt’s actually said JDB is the only one who can hold his head up high?

Genuinely believe he prefers playing Victor up top with Charles. Whether it’s the outlay or he just actually thinks it works better I don’t know. I’d be surprised to see Charles and Bod start up top again unforced in the league.

He May even believe Bod is a better finisher (sub to you and me) which defo has merit because I didn’t think vic was gonna snatch a goal similar to what Bod can do when he comes on.

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Charles scores and we win. Simple as that.

Santos and Toal had their biggest test and tbh struggled at times but not catastrophic.

Don’t see what JDB offers over Vic in a starting 11 as an overall work rate.

Think we’ll win the next four and it’ll all be forgiven. And Pompey are more than capable of a fuck up or two  

Plenty faces. Roll on the next one. 

I can't agree with that, we've already had a game where we scored first away and lost, and seemed like Portsmouth could have done the same last night even if Charles had scored. That's as bad as we've played all season.

I've enjoyed the last month as much as anyone, but it's hardly a meltdown to note that the moment we come up against a decent team who press us we really struggle, and I'm not sure we've improved since last season in this regard. Got a scrappy win against Blackpool but we were completely outplayed and out fought last night. Only positives is this season there doesn't appear to be the standout teams of last season, who we haven't a hope against, and we've improved at beating the dross.