Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oh dear how sad. Everton

batton carrier

Owners should just have to keep a reserve fund to pay for all their contractual commitments.  Problem solved.

It's bollocks that Newcastle, one of the richest clubs in the world, cannot spend money.

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

They dress it up as wanting clubs to be sustainable but all it does is maintain the status quo and that's what they want 

In one.

I could strike oil in my back garden, actually give £billions to BWFC but they wouldn't be allowed to spend it.

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It's just bollocks - let clubs spend what they want to spend, if they ultimately go bust, then tough shit. If they "buy the league" then so what, that's been happening for years anyway

I would rather they had set up the rules much sooner but the horse has already bolted.  What are they going to do with City? If they punish them accordingly then the European league will move a step closer because City will not be playing in the Championship.

21 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I would rather they had set up the rules much sooner but the horse has already bolted.  What are they going to do with City? If they punish them accordingly then the European league will move a step closer because City will not be playing in the Championship.

They'll find a way to punish them without punishing them 

Maybe take a community shield win off them 

28 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Owners should just have to keep a reserve fund to pay for all their contractual commitments.  Problem solved.

It's bollocks that Newcastle, one of the richest clubs in the world, cannot spend money.

You look at Reading, who've just had another two points deducted today, because they didn't pay a contracted amount into an account set aside for exactly that 

If the EFL can come up with a concept like that then I'm sure it's not beyond the realms of the PL

23 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

You look at Reading, who've just had another two points deducted today, because they didn't pay a contracted amount into an account set aside for exactly that 

If the EFL can come up with a concept like that then I'm sure it's not beyond the realms of the PL

There is of course the loophole of spunking enough money in the Championship that you get promoted and the EFL can’t punish you until you’re back under their jurisdiction 😂 

34 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There is of course the loophole of spunking enough money in the Championship that you get promoted and the EFL can’t punish you until you’re back under their jurisdiction 😂 

As happened to QPR then got hit with a huge fine when they eventually got relegated

I think that was Derby's plan as well

• Site Supporter

At least they got the ‘no penalties all season’ monkey off their backs this weekend and can now boast the 2023/24 penalties record of:

Pens given 1 Pens scored 0 success rate 0%

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

just seen Forest deducted 4 points

puts them in the bottom 3, 1 point behind Luton, who are 3 behind Everton

I like Luton, want them to stay up, have a good go at teams, they play nice stuff but can't defend for shit

but if they can't do it when their rivals are being deducted points all around them, they really don't deserve it

On 27/02/2024 at 16:59, DazBob said:

In one.

I could strike oil in my back garden, actually give £billions to BWFC but they wouldn't be allowed to spend it.

Have you looked yet?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Forest were one of the PL sides resisting the idea of giving funds to the EFL, along with Bournemouth! They can get to feck now. Hope they both go down. 

Fans interviewed last night were bemoaning their situation. 

"What about City?.."

We know about city's case, its complexity, and its hearing later this year (supposedly), but two wrongs don't make it right.

If city are found guilty, they'll be done accordingly, but for now deal with them as they arise.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Does anybody actually believe this?

Why won't they be?

Not just the usual bitchiing, and conjecture, but genuine reasoning based on facts.

Simply, these suggestions are borne out of jealousy, whataboutery etc.

All this stuff about preferential treatment amongst the higher echelons has no concrete basis, and if there was, then the likes of Everton would have been protected and not sanctioned.

Their case is massive, not like these other two.

They do have a fine legal team to defend them, as each club has- they (premier league ones) have plenty of money to pay for them.

It is therefore vital that the investigating authority gets all its ducks in a row, over each and every one of the 100+ alleged breaches, before proceeding. 

The hearing is expected around the end of the year or early next.

Once that is completed then we'll know.

As a comparison, if a burglar is apprehended and admits his guilt, and is sentenced, it is a fairly quick process.

A highly complex, multi-faceted crime, across borders, with witnesses needing finding and being willing to testify may take many months, or longer to come to court, and then be heard.

Without applying due process, then the thing becomes pointless.

• Site Supporter

City's owners have spent a fortune developing the area around the ground and creating loads of jobs by all accounts - which is investment the government don't want to lose by punishing them too harshly

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

City's owners have spent a fortune developing the area around the ground and creating loads of jobs by all accounts - which is investment the government don't want to lose by punishing them too harshly

City's owners won't leave or stop if they get punished 

15 hours ago, Traf said:

Does anybody actually believe this?

Thing is they can appear draconian in punishment while not really hurting them. They'll argue that the CL is out of their jurisdiction so they carry on that for that season; dock them an unusually high number of points (15 say) that will still mean they would qualify for Europa or maybe even CL; fine them a humungous amount that would cripple most clubs but that theirs owners can find in lose change behind the sofa; then say it's a "line in the sand" and the slate is wiped clean. They then just carry on regardless. The only thing that would really annoy the owners is if they were stripped of titles, but that aint happening.

I read somewhere the other day, that even deducting 20 points from City retrospectively for the past 10 years, they'd still have qualified for the CL each season.

Interested to hear Rog's take on this.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I read somewhere the other day, that even deducting 20 points from City retrospectively for the past 10 years, they'd still have qualified for the CL each season.

Interested to hear Rog's take on this.

Yeah?

I think you already know his take on this. 😉