Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Ani

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, tomski said:

JDB is light years of vic. 

But he doesn't score blah, blah, blah.

Not seen enough of Collins but he's a superb striker and the best all round striker wr had up until this week

4 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

But he doesn't score blah, blah, blah.

Not seen enough of Collins but he's a superb striker and the best all round striker wr had up until this week

I think we will see JDB & Collins start at Cambridge.

Charles will surely be dropped.

GETTT IT UPPPPP

My favourite constant noise from the day

He should be booked for that- he could see the flag was up; yes that famous phrase about playing until the flag is raised

We are all entitled to our opinion, and football is an escape; I refrained from using my right to do so in telling the woman in NSL to STFU, but others did

Passion one thing, but some simpletons knocking about

Just now, deeane Koontz said:

Which strikers do we reckon are starting the next game?

Collins &..

Has to be Collins and JDB. Not on evatt as you shouldn’t throw the new guys in when we are second. What a difference though.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Dr Faustus said:

GETTT IT UPPPPP

My favourite constant noise from the day

He should be booked for that- he could see the flag was up; yes that famous phrase about playing until the flag is raised

We are all entitled to our opinion, and football is an escape; I refrained from using my right to do so in telling the woman in NSL to STFU, but others did

Passion one thing, but some simpletons knocking about

A constant where I was, when we were in our own half for ages.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

• Site Supporter

I'd certainly start Collins. Flip a coin to see who starts with him.

For me, maybe I'm biased because I think he's ace, but Bod looks like our only other striker who's played at a higher level than L1.

Start your best 11 - that's Bod, and presumably Collins now

38 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Surprised at the comments re support.  I thought it was pretty impressive in terms of noise today. In terms of numbers, it's bloody phenomenal.

It was half decent, and great to hear the big match atmosphere pre-match and upto Barnsley scoring.  Generally it was light years ahead of any game since our last "big" one (Blackpool) (too many flat games v the Cheltenhams and Burtons in this league).  We are hamstrung by the lack of songs, there's only so many times you can join in with We Are The One & Only Wanderers.  We don't even sing The Whites Are Going Up any more.

A pleasant surprise to hear Come On You Whites, in injury time when we got a corner.  Don't think I've heard that for a couple of years so I joined in for the novelty of it , it used to be the norm when we got a corner etc, donkeys years ago. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was half decent, and great to hear the big match atmosphere pre-match and upto Barnsley scoring.  Generally it was light years ahead of any game since our last "big" one (Blackpool) (too many flat games v the Cheltenhams and Burtons in this league).  We are hamstrung by the lack of songs, there's only so many times you can join in with We Are The One & Only Wanderers.  We don't even sing The Whites Are Going Up any more.

A pleasant surprise to hear Come On You Whites, in injury time when we got a corner.  Don't think I've heard that for a couple of years so I joined in for the novelty of it , it used to be the norm when we got a corner etc, donkeys years ago. 

Thought that myself. Always used to be our war cry - COME ON YOU WHITES. Needs to come back

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

👀➡️

9 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Collins and Dion........See how they go Bod cannot play 2 games a week

keep him as impact sub

Vic for me the shirt has gone....up to him to react

Started on Tuesday and looked fine today, fitness wise.  Along with Cogley, the only outfield player that's made himself available for league and cup week after week since the end of August.  And he's supposed to be the injury prone one, he seems to be the least injury prone among the whole squad this season.  Not saying he should play 180 minutes a week by any stretch, but he should be very much part of the rotation IMO, starting alternate games and on as sub in the others for eg, nothing at all to suggest he is less fit than anyone.

Plenty of others have said it but a crazy game.

I thought we were really good in the first half, played through the lines, got in down the wings on multiple occasions but with nobody there for the cut back, caused problems from set pieces (Ashworth is our best corner taker by some distance), Taylor looked like he’d slotted in perfectly… but somehow we were 1-0 down.

They clearly got a rocket at half time and came out flying - not having Santos or Jones to calm things down really showed and I thought Taylor’s inexperience showed (not helped by Iredale being generally poor and Toal not being at his best at the moment). How they didn’t go further ahead during that time they’ll never know - Baxter is fucking brilliant though.

But then we get a goal out of nothing - what a cross!!! (and header to be fair), and all of a sudden it’s back looking like we’re the the ones that could win the game, and would have if it wasn’t for an unbelievable save from their keeper.

It’s a good point all things considered - we played the last half an hour with only Ashworth of our first choice back 5 in their correct position (I’m classing Ashworth as first choice LWB now because he’s starting to look the business - miles better than Randy).

Santos, Jones and GT back in and Collins will become first choice striker - that’s 4 massive players that would improve today‘s team.

Dempsey class, Ashworth brilliant and Baxter just carries on proving how good he is. One of them for MOTM for me.

Something I don’t think has been mentioned - anyone else absolutely shitting themselves when Baxter was getting treatment? Based on his initial reaction I was convinced he was going to have to come off! Bet Evatt was glad, if only so he didn’t get asked about his decision not to have Coleman on the bench 100 times over.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I thought we were really good in the first half, played through the lines, got in down the wings on multiple occasions but with nobody there for the cut back, caused problems from set pieces (Ashworth is our best corner taker by some distance), Taylor looked like he’d slotted in perfectly… but somehow we were 1-0 down.

They clearly got a rocket at half time and came out flying - not having Santos or Jones to calm things down really showed and I thought Taylor’s inexperience showed (not helped by Iredale being generally poor and Toal not being at his best at the moment). How they didn’t go further ahead during that time they’ll never know - Baxter is fucking brilliant though.

But then we get a goal out of nothing - what a cross!!! (and header to be fair), and all of a sudden it’s back looking like we’re the the ones that could win the game, and would have if it wasn’t for an unbelievable save from their keeper.

It’s a good point all things considered - we played the last half an hour with only Ashworth of our first choice back 5 in their correct position (I’m classing Ashworth as first choice LWB now because he’s starting to look the business - miles better than Randy).

Santos, Jones and GT back in and Collins will become first choice striker - that’s 4 massive players that would improve today‘s team.

Dempsey class, Ashworth brilliant and Baxter just carries on proving how good he is. One of them for MOTM for me.

Something I don’t think has been mentioned - anyone else absolutely shitting themselves when Baxter was getting treatment? Based on his initial reaction I was convinced he was going to have to come off! Bet Evatt was glad, if only so he didn’t get asked about his decision not to have Coleman on the bench 100 times over.

I had faith Jerome would be ample cover. To be fair though,7 subs, 1 has to be a keeper - the other 6 is over half a team ffs.

Anyway, made the mistake of looking at twitter and people slashing Bod, doesn't score or contribute etc.

Not sure who passed it to Collins to cross for the goal but he did ok

12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Started on Tuesday and looked fine today, fitness wise.  Along with Cogley, the only outfield player that's made himself available for league and cup week after week since the end of August.  And he's supposed to be the injury prone one, he seems to be the least injury prone among the whole squad this season.  Not saying he should play 180 minutes a week by any stretch, but he should be very much part of the rotation IMO, starting alternate games and on as sub in the others for eg, nothing at all to suggest he is less fit than anyone.

Mist a fair chunk of the season last year and took him a while to get in the team this, sure I read earlier in the season IE suggested they may need to manage his game time.

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah I was shitting it too. But not as much as Evatt was I bet! 😁

I imagine there will be some champ clubs sniffing around Baxter if we fail to go up. He's too good for this level....

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes, everyone sat around me was the same.  And the save he made to get injured was one of those where the ref didn't put his flag up until the move had ended.  Baxter made 2 class saves in the 1st half that don't even count as saves because the flag went up after he'd made them! 

If he'd gone off, we lose that game 3 or 4-0 and the 2nd half is a none event, there would be meltdown tonight.  Jerome and/or CMG on the bench instead of Coleman is a strange one, in what circumstance is either likely to be the player to come on. 

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Three strikers and no keeper on the bench is bordering on lunacy. 

Correct.

He continues to do this, almost as an 'up yours' to critics & it's daft & he's very bristley about it when asked.

It's not just injury to fear as a sending off can easily happen.

He really needs to stop doing it.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Correct.

He continues to do this, almost as an 'up yours' to critics & it's daft & he's very bristley about it when asked.

It's not just injury to fear as a sending off can easily happen.

He really needs to stop doing it.

Its over 100 games now and we have never needed a second keeper

Its really nowt to get worked up about