Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool (A)

Duck Egg

23 minutes ago, L/H White said:

100% question marks around this. 

Since promotion to league 1, as things stand, with the table how it is as I type, against the top 6 the numbers stand at (very quick lookup) 

P27 W5 D10 L12

25 points from a possible 81

Next few weeks are massive

Time to step up to the plate.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Yes, it is 9 isn't it.

Annoying really as a few of them must be when he has a nip back after been hacked down 4 or 5 times before the ref gets a card out.

Those stats show he's been fouled 58 times !!

Super Kevin Davies was the same. Much was made in sports shows of him being the Premier League’s dirtiest player by number of fouls against him. Strangely, the same sports shows forgot to mention he was also the most fouled.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

As discussed already 

If I could choose one game to win it's Wigan 

But on the condition that Derby and Pompey lose tomorrow too 

Not arsed about Barnsley winning 

Am looking up not down 

Barnsley win and we lose they will be 3 points behind us on same games. Draw tomorrow would be best regardless how we do

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Super Kevin Davies was the same. Much was made in sports shows of him being the Premier League’s dirtiest player by number of fouls against him. Strangely, the same sports shows forgot to mention he was also the most fouled.

Yes. Probably because he didn't roll around like he'd be shot.

And when he fouled someone, they tended to stay fouled 😁.

Patrice Evra 🤣

Coleman

JDC Jones Santos Iredale Ashworth

Dempsey Sheehan GT

Vic CMG

I think that’s what I’d go with, although Ashworth and GT could easily be Ogbeta and Maghoma, I just thought they’d be better having a rest after Tuesday night and both could come back in against Wigan. God knows up front, you could make a case for any combination of those available. Think I’d prefer bod off the bench and I haven’t seen enough from Collins yet to suggest he should be starting ahead of CMG (and they’re very similar so probably not going to play alongside each other).

3-1 Whites - the curse is broken. Dempsey, CMG and a late Collins pen.

We never EVER win at Bloomfield Road. Surely that has to change finally. Tomorrow would be a fine time for that. Then onwards to Wigan and collect 3 points and some credibility back after the shocking home defeat.

All to play for. Let’s hope the players are really, really up for it.

5 hours ago, Zico said:

The weekend is upon us 

Brought back memories....Sweaty Betty, Beer & Sex & Chips & Gravy, Miss Macclesfield etc, the soundtrack to many an 80s away trip, doing upwards of 58 mpg in a Vauxhall Chevette or Morris Ital

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Coleman

JDC Jones Santos Iredale Ashworth

Dempsey Sheehan GT

Vic CMG

I think that’s what I’d go with, although Ashworth and GT could easily be Ogbeta and Maghoma, I just thought they’d be better having a rest after Tuesday night and both could come back in against Wigan. God knows up front, you could make a case for any combination of those available. Think I’d prefer bod off the bench and I haven’t seen enough from Collins yet to suggest he should be starting ahead of CMG (and they’re very similar so probably not going to play alongside each other).

3-1 Whites - the curse is broken. Dempsey, CMG and a late Collins pen.

Collins will play tomorrow

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Brought back memories....Sweaty Betty, Beer & Sex & Chips & Gravy, Miss Macclesfield etc, the soundtrack to many an 80s away trip, doing upwards of 58 mpg in a Vauxhall Chevette or Morris Ital

my favourite was always Fluffy Pup

With this fixture it's not just that we've gone 47 years without winning there (approx 15 games) but it's the ways we've contrived to balls up great positions. 

When we played them on Boxing Day 85 it was the first time since the last win at Christmas in 1977. We were 0-1 up with seconds to go (David Cross) and conceded an equaliser. That set the tone.

In the Sherpa Van semi final there in 88/89 it felt like a win but it was a 1-1 draw. Deep in to injury time they were down to 10 men and Jeff Chandler missed a sitter to make it 1-2 on the night and 3-1 to us on aggregate.

Anyone remember 89/90? We were 0-1 up late on in an FA Cup first round tie there in November and later the same season in a league (Easter). We lost both 2-1. Absolutely grim on both occasions. Even in 92/3 under Bruce we were leading 0-1 until the last couple of mins only for David Burke to concede a penalty. It was galling to go there with a forward line including Sturridge/SKD/Klasnic/Chungy and lose 4-3 in 10/11 in the first time we'd played there for 18 years. Then in the last 10-12 years back in the second tier I remember us drawing 2-2 after having twice taken the lead. I also remember Tim Ream missing a late sitter in a game that finished 0-0. 

The only consolation is they've had the same catalogue of missed opportunities to break their winless run at ours over a similar timeframe.

It's got to end sooner or later. Promotion is the aim - but doing this tomorrow would be a serious bonus on the way. It ain't going to be simple though!! 

Edited by paulhanley

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I knew he'd been injured, and didn't think he'd played in the pizza cup, but I think he's fairly close to fitness.

Not close enough according to Critchley so unless he’s telling porkies he won’t be in tomorrows squad thankfully.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

With this fixture it's not just that we've gone 47 years without winning there (approx 15 games) but it's the ways we've contrived to balls up great positions. 

When we played them on Boxing Day 85 it was the first time since the last win at Christmas in 1977. We were 0-1 up with seconds to go (David Cross) and conceded an equaliser. That set the tone.

In the Sherpa Van semi final there in 88/89 it felt like a win but it was a 1-1 draw. Deep in to injury time they were down to 10 men and Jeff Chandler missed a sitter to make it 1-2 on the night and 3-1 to us on aggregate.

Anyone remember 89/90? We were 0-1 up late on in an FA Cup first round tie there in November and later the same season in a league (Easter). We lost both 2-1. Absolutely grim on both occasions. Even in 92/3 under Bruce we were leading 0-1 until the last couple of mins only for David Burke to concede a penalty. It was galling to go there with a forward line including Sturridge/SKD/Klasnic/Chungy and lose 4-3 in 10/11 in the first time we'd played there for 18 years. Then in the last 10-12 years back in the second tier I remember us drawing 2-2 after having twice taken the lead. I also remember Tim Ream missing a late sitter in a game that finished 0-0. 

The only consolation is they've had the same catalogue of missed opportunities to break their winless run at ours over a similar timeframe.

It's got to end sooner or later. Promotion is the aim - but doing this tomorrow would be a serious bonus on the way. It ain't going to be simple though!! 

I want us to win for me, because I have money on us winning the title (as well as finishing top 2, and getting promoted one way or another)

I want us to win for the club, because we're on this upward trajectory journey going in the right direction and I like everything about the club at the minute

I want us to win for all us on here and other fans too

but most of all

most of all I want us to win for you, because you've been going on about not winning at blackpool for as long as I can remember, it clearly means a lot

oh and for @gonzo too

Proper derby this. Inherited that feeling from my Dad who always saw them and Blackburn as our biggest rivals. He was at the 53 final and his bitterness towards Blackpool lasted to his dying day. I’d take a win tomorrow and a scabby point against Wigan any day. I’ve never actually seen us beat Blackpool home or away

57 minutes ago, Zico said:

I want us to win for me, because I have money on us winning the title (as well as finishing top 2, and getting promoted one way or another)

I want us to win for the club, because we're on this upward trajectory journey going in the right direction and I like everything about the club at the minute

I want us to win for all us on here and other fans too

but most of all

most of all I want us to win for you, because you've been going on about not winning at blackpool for as long as I can remember, it clearly means a lot

oh and for @gonzo too

It does! There's loads our age group the same. Won three times at Old Trafford since we last triumphed at this shithole. Let's hope we see it tomorrow! 

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Proper derby this. Inherited that feeling from my Dad who always saw them and Blackburn as our biggest rivals. He was at the 53 final and his bitterness towards Blackpool lasted to his dying day. I’d take a win tomorrow and a scabby point against Wigan any day. I’ve never actually seen us beat Blackpool home or away

We’ve got a good home record against Blackpool. 

Edited by captainmed