Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

10 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Disappointed you didn’t include Wanderlusts comments Matty! 😆

I'm gutted - although he did include my "Toner is a cock" comment about the bookings - which turned out to be the kiss of death as no sooner had I written it, Sheehan was clattered yet again and the cock booked Evatt for making the exact same point.

You'll just have to do a bit of cold turkey WS - I'm going back to Jamaica for the next 3 weeks to play a bit of tennis and pickleball and do a bit of beach and cocktails so I'll try to wean myself off the opposition forums for a while. Probably won't though - Exeter in particular is calling.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Had a read through, seems they are in such a mess at the moment they wanted a drubbing from 2-0.

Certainly seemed to be quite a few of their fans wanting a pop at their players (and presumably manager) at the end.

Think Caldwell lives up here so he’s dodged an uncomfortable coach journey at least. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Certainly seemed to be quite a few of their fans wanting a pop at their players (and presumably manager) at the end.

Think Caldwell lives up here so he’s dodged an uncomfortable coach journey at least. 

Sacked this week I reckon. Taylor back from Rotherham

Hopefully subtle plugs are allowed on here cos I'm spending my Saturday evening laser cutting plywood for my hobby business (https://www.woodengrounds.co.uk/) which is giving me long enough away from the missus to trawl through a 58 page match thread(!) on ExeterWays

PREMATCH

Just remember to thank me when Cheick scores a late winner.

2am kick off down under. Gonna give it miss. 

Getting somewhere near to a full strength starting line up (with the obvious exception of Demi). Sending some positive vibes to the boys and management team. Go up there and give a performance to be proud of, and whatever the outcome, come off that pitch knowing you have given your all for our fabulous club. A very tough game, but the sort of game we should be relishing if we are to establish ourselves at this level.

Really hopeful of a good performance,not a win or a draw as both would be fab I just don't want us to get embarrassed..

The fact we struggled against kids on Tuesday really brings it home how poor we are but I'd take a 1-0 or 2-0 loss as long as we show some guts and spirit..

We're so fragile at the moment if we let one in early we'll get absolutely stuffed. Keep them out and frustrate them and I suppose it's possible to battle out a draw. Not optimistic.

Quietly confident of a battling draw. Our 2 Bolton old boys, Will and Yanic, will leave nothing out on the pitch, and the rest should be in tow. Geddon City !

I have a strange feeling about today.

After calling for Caldwell's head for the last two weeks, our terrible form and Bolton's excellent form, I think we might see a strong defensive display and a smash and grab from city. Diabate with a 89th minute winner.

Have we lost yet?

But how on earth have we got to a point where we are playing Cheick Diabate up top? It's embarrassing.

1-1 all I'm saying

I’ve just had £3 on cheick to score at any time during the game, got 26-1.

It's been an awful long time since I watched television from behind the sofa!

Oh my god. Diabate up front.

What have we become. Dear god.

Diabate up front is me done thanks.

Dreadful stuff

3 - 1 City! Diabate gonna score 🤣

Jesus H Christ on a unicycle. This either pays and he’s a genius or it doesn’t and he’s toast with the fans.

If we can hold out for 10 minutes, then I reckon we could get a result here 

Remember when people said "sToP pAnICkinG" as the window closed for with two forwards missing from the list

Ho ho ho, merrrrry christmas

That we are starting Chieck up top in a League One game away at Bolton.... is beyond embarassing

KICK OFF

We've survived the first 10 minutes!

Scrappy battling match,but that's the only way we will get something out of it.

Looks like we’ve set up to make it that way, bodies back and then hit and hope

We can grab a goal here. It amazes me that we have so many ball playing midfielders who are woeful on the ball. Absolutely a confidence thing.

1-0

Ah well. Here we go🤤

Very well played from them.

Game over? 

Ah well there goes that tiny glimmer of positivityI had.

Surprised it's taken so long....

Keep this down to one by half time and we could get something here.

I mean, they're not Fleetwood are they?

2-0

Pub anyone?

Switching off from behind sofa now.

At least we have a club to support.

Is this the fans fault as well?

We've got Super Gary Caldwell
He's got exactly what we need
Aimson at the back
Nobody in attack
City's crashing out the darned league

To be fair this result was on the cards. 

No shots on target, 1 shot off target, no corners, a young centre half playing upfront. This is more like the Western Peninsula Division 1 than EFL League 1.

Just got in from a 3 hour drive keeping my fingers crossed then went hopefully online. BANG. balloon bursts , back to reality, same old same old. I'll check briefly end of game but tbh I really don't need this constant depressive unchanging hopelessness that I feel about it in my life currently.

SECOND HALF

We'd just as well wave the white flag and chuck the towel in. There's no way this side are staying in L1. Absolutely abysmal

Half of these players will be looking forward to their loans ending... traumatic experience playing in this side

3-0

......sigh

3-0 switching off now

Chin up lads , still time.

I predicted 6

How can anyone want him to stay? Bolton are good team but we have shown 0 fight the players don't agree with or fight for Caldwell

Abysmal 😂😂😂😂

I want us to be destroyed. I want us to get pumped. Maybe the board will see what weve been seeing for 6 weeks. The players have given up

We want six

Bolton taking potshots

I predicted 4-1 , I can see the four but goodness knows how we’ll score one.

Everyone is making mistakes.A complete mess.Its like they have picked outfield player positions by lottery.

It's like the players want Bolton to end the misery.

Let em score 7 lads

We are a mess. Diabete wants us to press. Caldwell doesn't.

Got to feel sorry for Diabate.

They really are ripping the **** out of us.

4-0

Just queuing up to score

If this man doesn't walk here, he's an absolute leech

No chance he'll walk. It would be the end of his managerial career.

If the club don't refund the travelling fans I will start to get very annoyed at how we are being run

Wildschut could give us a lot more if he played at centre forward from the start,but Caldwell won't start him because he wants him to play at wingback when Niskanen needs to come off.Anyone could play at wingback for 30 minutes.We needed goals.

It's not just that we lose every week, we get absolutely bent over every game.

If the club don't refund the travelling fans I will start to get very annoyed at how we are being run

Disagree with this. Surely no fan went up to Bolton expecting anything different?

No one was expecting a win today.
However it is the manner of defeat.

110% effort and a slight defeat - 4-0 is embarrassing.

5-0

Any football fan asking for a refund needs to give their head a wobble. Peak snowflakeyness.

Wow

Bolton bringing on some attacking players.

I expected a hammering but this is embarrassing

We want 9

Solid first half hour, had a shot off target- If that goes in it's a completely different game. It's these small moments, isn't it. Just not dropped for us.

78th mins
34% possession
1 shot (blocked)
0 on target
0 off target
0 corners

Cmon Bolton....apply the coup de grace. 5 might not do it.

6-0

6-0

YES SIX!!!

Sweeney is doing all the talking to his team mates.Nothing from Aimson.

Disgrace of a captain, that aimson

There it is!!!

7 is of course better

6-0. Which is the score I predicted.

fml. I predicted 5-0 but was obviously too positive.

Jesus we have had 1 shot and 0 on target. There's losing and there's this.

I sat on the fence and said 5 or 6 nil.

FFS 6 minutes added time. Let this misery end.

I’d take a draw now.

7-0

WE WANT 8-0

Obviously, we didn't park the bus properly.

Laughable. Pathetic.

Wow, under GC we've lost 6 on the bounce last season inc a 6 nil embarrassment at Ipswich and a 9 nil and 7 nil loss this season. 

FT

Now we know why it's called the Tough Sh!t Stadium.......

There aren't strong enough expletives for that.

How can anyone in their right mind stand there and clap that shower of *****.

Well, that was fun 😏 Bolton fan just said to me on the way out, he'd never seen a team offer so little.

So there we are! Bolton are a bunch of cheating *********. We wanted them to attack down the left and they attacked down the right! How dare they

(from Rusty Lusty - anyone off here?)

A view from the other side guys if it’s not too painful. We’ve all suffered days like today but in fairness it was a perfect storm. We’ve been getting better every game as the new players we brought in really hit form. At the moment I’d say this is the best Wanderers side I’ve seen since our PL days and I don’t think there’s a team in L1 that can live with us at the moment the way we’re playing so I wouldn’t feel too bad because a spanking for someone was coming and it just happened to be you.

Your players just looked devoid of confidence, though to be fair you frustrated us for over 30 minutes and we were just beginning to get frustrated. If you could have kept it level, until half time you might have gained some confidence but those two goals before just seemed to kill you. I can’t comment on your manager but I am aware you’ve had injuries and lost your best player in the summer. You made a cracking start to the season so maybe when you get some players back and add can one or two in January, all isn’t lost yet. In Evatt’s first season here we were 24th in L2 in January and many wanted Evatt gone. We eventually finished 3rd and promoted so things can turn round quickly. I’d personally stick with your manager and give him the chance to get it right in the Window, there are some poor teams in this division and I don’t think you’re one of them. Good luck for the rest of the season and a win on Tuesday will help.

We've got a bigger spanking fetish than your average Tory MP.

Well I think I was closest with my 6 nil thrashing forecast on the match prediction thread. We have been utterly useless since our 9 nil thrashing at the hands of Reading youth. Not including the Reading shambles we have 6 goals scored, 35 conceded.

55 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Nice one @matty2094

Did realise Yannick Wellshit played for these

When he came on, we had a look at where he had been after he left us. May well have played European football at Maccabi Haifa and/or CSKA Sofia but not 100%. Now coming off the bench at 5-0 down in League One 🤣 Such a weird career

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Mantra said:

Not had one of these for a while... Not the funniest forum I've ever seen but few good lines in here

Pre Match

During Match

Post game

Bolton fan below

Source:

https://thebuzzisback.boards.net/thread/929/match-thread-bolton-sat-2024?page=15

Good work 🫡

Gives me something to read later. Haven’t had chance to even contemplate doing one of these recently! 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while...

PREMATCH

Christ that badge is awful. It hurts my brain trying to read those letters. The ‘f’ is especially wrong.

If we win the meltdown of their fans will be glorious

A little digging in their nickname may have yielded some insight on that badge. Bolton Trotters were practical jokers, one notable exponent challenged a visitor to an endurance contest where they both stood one leg in a bucket of hot water to see who could last the longest, the big joke being that his was a wooden leg. Perhaps this artwork is a modern take on the trotting tradition.

Bolton fans always seem a decent, respectful measured bunch for the most part. Don't have the delusions of grandeur that other big clubs that end up in this league suffer from.

Seconded. I've always found Bolton fans to be a great bunch

I went to have a look at the Bolton forum and came away in shock. A very simple design with no adverts or pop-ups and the matchday thread made almost no mention of us and was just a load of thoughtful posts about team selection and tactics.

Where's the fun in that?

I've always like Bolton fans too. Good to have you back @FarmerCee

Also, they brought the magnificent Jay-Jay Okocha to English football, one of my favourite players of all time.

Totally agree, they are a real good bunch of supporters.

Bolton are the best club in League one, apart from Wycombe. Great supporters and a Beaconsfield owner.

Agree on Bolton - always a bit of a mutual love-in, as I know their fans appreciated the reception at Adams Park when they were in dire straits as a club. Good fan bases recognize each other, and there seem to be some similarities between the supporters, as we also have a thoughtful, interesting forum, with the added bonus of the odd stellar pun.

Hopefully we'll see a 22 man punch-up today in honour of Shrove Tuesday, where it was traditional for villages to attack each other with a football somewhere in the mix.

IN GAME

Good header, but unmarked.

Undeserved goal for them. Think we’ve started excellently out of possession.

mccarthy is not up to it...Bolton are poor and we need to attack them

Well we're certainly creating chances !

WE DEFINITELY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE LOSING THIS.

We've been the better team here, just need to take our chances!

Can't criticise that first half at all. We're solid defensivley (apart from that one moment) and industrious going forward. Lots of chances being created - would've loved to see Kone on the end of one of those 1 v 1s.

Another 45 minutes like that and I don't think we'll lose it. And if we lose playing like that well then fair enough.

Frustrating to be losing a game like this with a goal like that.

Good 45 minutes from us, particularly considering the changes we've made. Just missed chances costing us, we've had several really good openings and not scored. Bolton have had 1 half chance and taken it. We could nick something here with the players we have on the bench.

Ref seems to be giving a few cheap free kicks this half

Sadly those subs seem to have really killed any momentum we had.

After that baffling double sub I’d be amazed if we got anything out of this. Might put a movie on.

Ahhh that's the chance, Taylor had to score. One of those nights I think.

Only 8 points between 13th place and the bottom 4. It's going to be a hell of a scrap for half of the division.

Wank

Poo ...

This does feel like a mismanaged game, getting too cute. 0-2 now too.

Q: You have just won 5-2 against a good side, do you:

1: Keep the momentum going.

2: Make four changes.

What a shit goal to concede. Wakey wakey Max

Dreadful goal to concede, poor judgement from Max, but what exactly was he remonstrating with the ref for?

Well, don't take your chances, and you won't win the game. We've had more than enough to get something from this game, but dispensing of the high press in the 55th minute has made life much easier for Bolton. Bounce back on Saturday.

Bolton showed that they’re a good side, but they were definitely beatable, especially if we had we taken our chances in the first half or implemented a better strategy in the second half.

Does that count as a "legit" challenge from their keeper there to only get a yellow?!

dangerous and reckless how on earth was it not a red? Answer: the ref. He didn't even book one of their players for punching the ball, clear as day.

Very frustrating. On another night we’d have had that wrapped up by halftime.

There was definitely a point at least available tonight.

You can’t just high press regardless. Our high press v Posh worked as they were sh1t with the ball at the back. Bolton are not.

Better team tonight. They took their chances we didn’t. Simple as that.

We've lost away to a team that might finish the season as champions. Yet it still feels wrong.

I think that's very arguable when he's so late and wild.

But when all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail with Sam Vokes' face on it

A Red would have been to our disadvantage. Only a few seconds left, changing their keeper would not alter this result.

Boltons next three games, the ones their keeper would potentially have missed, are against Charlton, Cambridge and Blackpool. We could do with Bolton beating Charlton and Cambridge so I’d prefer they had their first choice keeper for them.

Max should have done better for the first goal, a slow, looping header from six yards out when he was on the goal line.

Max couldn't have done worse for their second. A diagonal back-heel from the corner of the goal area while he was standing and in full sight of the shot?

The more embarrassing the goal he concedes, the more he remonstrates with the officials. Not a great look.

@FarmerCee - now that you have the double over us and our meetings this season are complete, I wish you and Bolton all the best in snatching one of the automatics (preferably from Derby!).

You are welcome back any time, of course!

I thought it was another good performanc. Bolton were better than us in both boxes. The scoreline could have been the other way round had we taken our chances. The reality is we have some relatively inexperienced strikers who will miss chances. We can't afford to go and get proven 20 goal a season strikers.

Was at the game last night but missed Bolton's first goal. There is no blame on Max for that goal, I would not expect a keeper to come for that cross.

2nd goal he looks wrong footed as expecting a bigger touch from their forward who hardly touches it at all. I'm not sure that is a genuine mistake. Keepers rely so much on anticipation to save something at that close range. He would have had to dive to reach that before the player touched the ball, and if he had he would have been criticised for not standing up if the ball had gone where he was standing instead of the far corner.

We were excellent last night and but for some wayward finishing really could have come away with at least a point if not all three.

Was also at the game last night and I did see the first goal. My comment on that goal is that it seemed to happen in slow motion the ball for the cross seemed to be in the air for a long time outswinging deep into our 18 yard box. I agree the cross was not for Max to deal with - Taff attempted to chase but had too much ground to make up. The header was well directed but had to travel a long distance looping back across the area. Max did look like he had lead in his boots as he didn’t seem to get off the ground in his attempt to reach the header. Collectively we didn’t defend that cross well!

All taken from https://gasroom.org/discussion/8697/match-day-thread-bolton/p9

• 2 weeks later...

PRE MATCH

I'm sure Bolton will try and take advantage of our poor starts.

1st Twenty Minutes @ Home

For 2
Against 10

Collins with the cheeky mind games with Mcatee

If that fat ****** from their dugout comes on to the pitch at the end of the game he wants chinning, he was at it again against Wigan.

As good as it gets. A good start and I strongly fancy us to get all 3 points.

1st HALF

2nd best all over the pitch now Bolton looking very strong now.

yessssssssss 1-0

I hope Collins gets praise for how we scored that goal.

Great pressing by MdG.

"Ian Evatt is absolutely fuming", lol, good, the fat get.

They are falling down at every opportunity.

This Bolton team are shithouses.

We win this we win the LEAGUE !!!!!!!!

HALF TIME

Bit frantic but think we are deservedly ahead. Hopefully that was our bad half

I think their keeper must have dropped some acid before kick off.

A few heart-in-mouth moments in that first half...

Imho a good 45...and I reckon the neutral would possibly have enjoyed that.
Reds slightly better but very even....they look dangerous down our left...and we know they have some decent players to get behind our wing backs.
Mcatee looking very lively and causing Bolton problems. Good pressing by reds hope we keep this up. Earl with another classy performance, Pines showing what we have missed...some srentghth at the back

2nd HALF

Get in pines what a lad 2 in 2

Taking this auto business seriously aren't we ;)

Bolton no18 chickened out of that challenge on pines for his goal. Not surprising with the size of him.

Definitely need a third!

BIG VIC SCORES

We do now.

Bloody Big Vic scoring!

Totally switched off then all started with mcatee giving another needless free kick away. Ffs.

Ffs victor adebajo

We are going to throw this away.

Wow lucky now poor header back

Thought it could have been a penalty too, seen them given.

Evatt will be crying about that post game.

BOLTON CONTINUE TO PRESS

Has sheehan got glue ear, why can't he stay upright?

Long ball stuff by Bolton everytime

Weird because their fans have gone on about them being a possession based team who fanny about at the back!

This last 10 mins is gonna be the longest 10 mins of 2024 so far praying we see this out! We’re getting barraged here

Wow we have been lucky this 2nd half

How the fook are we still in front?

Cmon you Reds.

We've been shocking this 2nd half

INTO ADDED TIME

8 minutes Jesus! Can’t take it lol emoji23.png

There winning every ball at the moment!

This is going to be the longest 8 minutes of all time

Great stop by Roberts

Just keep the f’ckin ball!!!

Where has the midfield gone to this half?

RICO MAKES COSGROVE EAT GRASS 

Another clear foul on Cosgrove not given.

PEN AWARDED

Penalty stupid by earl

Ffs 97th min

Slowest to react to the penalty and to every ball in the second half….

I'm afraid this 2nd half has been very poor.

One of the worst half's of the season.. slow to react to everything 2nd half.

Where were our players following in? I reckon the goalscorer must have been encroaching too.

FULL TIME

Got what we deserve, poor game management. Our ***** defence costing us automatics.
Still a long way to go, but we keep conceding.

**** off

Had that Cosgrove foul actually had been given pen wouldn't have happened.

Well we can't say that wasn't coming. Gotta say disappointed in that. Worked hard in that first half and went completely missing for last 30 mins.

Ffs. We have allowed Bolton to come out of this looking like a massive point for them and on a big high. Well I always thought the autos would be out of reach and now I think that it’s just going to be too much of a stretch for us.

Yeah we just didn't react to the pen save, poor that, but...........Bolton and Derby will take points of each other, win our game in hand, we're 2nd.....its in our hands

Don't be a melodramatic tit.

If I managed a football club that demonstrably can’t keep a clean sheet, I’d definitely shut up shop after 60 minutes

Foooookin gutted, saw it coming time an time again, good game, fair result, move on, keep the faith, C,O,Y,R.

It’s going to sting this one, but a draw was as much as we deserved in the end.

To be fair best two teams in the division out there tonight, point fair as they really had some good chances.

The Bolton lad has got Earl and Earls got the Bolton lad. How he's given a pen I will never know. I hate Bolton.

Then again, a draw is better than a loss, and it means that win out game in hand on Bolton and we go above them on goal difference.

Tot up the chances at either end, we've been lucky to get a point, as disappointed we all are

Bolton deserved that, we stopped playing completely. Haven't a clue what the plan was, but it wasn't very good.

First time I have seen the team this season and I know its only 1 game, but Bolton looked miles better than us.

Just glad we didn't lose.

We handed that to Bolton but you can’t deny they deserved a point. Terrible substitutions.
Take McAtee off, fine, but give them something else to worry about. (Cosgrove). Instead we just handed over possession for the rest of the game.

AND FINALLY A SPECIAL THREAD CREATED JUST FOR IAN EVATT

Post match reaction.

Reckons a draw is the least they deserved.

Just to add, after Bolton recently lost at Wigan, Evatt got involved in a post match confrontation on the pitch which all stemmed from his unhappiness at Wigan's players celebrating a goal right in front of the Bolton fans. Subsequently both clubs have been charged with failing to control their players.
Correct me if im wrong but didn't the Bolton players go and initially start celebrating right in the corner of the ESL after the equalising goal?

Yes that is correct mate 2 faced bellend him

Same ilk as Barton, Steve Evans & Blackwell.

So he caused a **** storm at Wigan but yet on the flip side he's ok for his own players to do the very same thing. Two faced ****** with no morals!

Odious fella.

To be fair I can't stand the bloke but that is an excellent summary. Can't argue with him on any of that

He’s the most unlikeable manager in our league, which is an accolade to be fair with some of the bellends in it.

Just glad we've got a decent manager!

I can't listen to it because I can't stand the bloke but I cant disagree with the sentence the op quoted our goal led a charmed life up until the ref stepped in. Disappointing from the position we got ourselves in but overall a decent point in the end onto the next.

To be fair, he's thick.