Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Turn back time

bolton_blondie

We would all love to own a DeLorean and go back and change things but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I've been fortunate enough to have never been out of work since I left school and had some good well paid jobs but it doesn't always buy you happiness. 

I got divorced in 2000 after she thought the grass was greener* on the other side and it knocked me down for around 12 months but I have 3 wonderful kids out of the marriage, two who went to Uni and cost me a fortune but worth every penny and all of them have decent jobs. I had some counselling to help me through it and was on medication but got there with the help of family and friends.

I threw myself into work after the divorce, maybe to make me forget and have grafted ever since. I've now got a couple of companies that are doing okay in the current economic climate and I'm also mortgage free which is a huge help.

I now always look for positives in everything and try not mix with people who suck the happiness out of things.

*The grass wasn't greener and she now lives alone in a small flat after several failed relationships.

Think the only stuff I regret is stuff I did not do as was too lazy. 

You make decisions at a point in if your life some work out well, some do not. I could have done a lot better in work with a different attitude but I equally could have ended up being a jobsworth. Overall I am happy where I am , got incredibly lucky with a works pension I never paid into that has made older age a lot easier.

I do regret not taking Yoof to a Euro away game, he was 10 when we played in Madrid and his mum said 'no'. 

Hmmm?, Good thread.

See lifes what is you make it, if you make it hard then its gonna be hard, me? I never take anything seriously, pissed about at school, wasn't particularly a wrong un but never bothered putting any effort in to much, discovered alcohol and weed at an early age and was good at it. Got a job straight away with some of the best lads you'll ever meet.

Got on property ladder in early 20s as most mates all did ,sold up to make one shit purchase and had to live in it for 11 years before losing money that took years to make back.

Have yer kids young is my best advice and never force them into anything they don't wanna do and NEVER go to their parents evenings. Still have to work in a shitty job with a few arseholes but again i don't take it seriously enough to bother , got beautiful grandkids, wife is getting on but a still get the occasion leg over and she makes me laugh all the time, we spend much of our time and money on drink or drink fueled mini breaks but wtf? You only live once.

So yeah to sum up if you can't be arsed today try tomorrow and what will be will be, its fate, and for my final cliché (and this is very true )

The person that has never made a mistake has never made anything.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Not sure I regret too much to be honest - possibly the only slight regret I have is waiting 12-18 months too long because I listed to some people who said "these prices are unsustainable, there will be a crash and prices will reduce in the next year or so*" and of course they didn't, they just kept rising and rising.

* you still here people trotting this line out, and it's pretty much bollocks - if you can afford one, get on the ladder as soon as you can, if the prices do dip, don't worry, they'll soon be back way above what you purchased for

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, Sweep said:

* you still here people trotting this line out, and it's pretty much bollocks - if you can afford one, get on the ladder as soon as you can, if the prices do dip, don't worry, they'll soon be back way above what you purchased for

If prices do dip.. well still a home.. 

1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

Being too nice when i was younger. Looking back i should have ragdolled a good few.

THIS 

both times involved a Lady 

one i finished with without sleeping with caused i got a better offer  Could have Humped and dumped her 

But im too nice a Guy for that 

To this day i always think i should have stuck with her she was Beautiful  but went for a Slag instead 

Second met my EX Mrs on Holiday (Lets not go there) there was another Girl  i should have rang but didn't 

but like you say 2 Amazing Daughters 

15 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

If you could turn back time and be able to change your life somehow,  would you? 

I definately know what I would change. But I wouldn't have my two ankle biters if I did that. 

I'd deffo not go down the career route I have as much as I love nursing its fucking soul destroying and my knees are knackered. 

I'd also would have gotten on the housing ladder as soon as I could. Be laughing my tits off now. 

Anyway it's that time of night where I over think. Please say others do this  😂

What you Doing on your Knees as a Nurse 

or should i not ask 😜

• Site Supporter

I dumped someone the day before Valentines because I couldn't be arsed going out getting her a card.  What an absolute cockwomble.

Other than that....  Nothing.  I'm incredibly happy with my lot, Our Peg is amazing, kids are mint, the business is doing well.

If I'd have changed any of the past I'd not be where I am right now.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, freds dad said:

We would all love to own a DeLorean and go back and change things but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I've been fortunate enough to have never been out of work since I left school and had some good well paid jobs but it doesn't always buy you happiness. 

I got divorced in 2000 after she thought the grass was greener* on the other side and it knocked me down for around 12 months but I have 3 wonderful kids out of the marriage, two who went to Uni and cost me a fortune but worth every penny and all of them have decent jobs. I had some counselling to help me through it and was on medication but got there with the help of family and friends.

I threw myself into work after the divorce, maybe to make me forget and have grafted ever since. I've now got a couple of companies that are doing okay in the current economic climate and I'm also mortgage free which is a huge help.

I now always look for positives in everything and try not mix with people who suck the happiness out of things.

*The grass wasn't greener and she now lives alone in a small flat after several failed relationships.

image.png

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not forgetting subbing holdsworth just before he smashed it over the bar at Wembley denying us our rightful place in Wembley history. 🤬

In fact, let’s give Villa a proper fucking over tonight just for that miss by Holdsworth.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I wish I'd found a job or career that I loved.  Most I've had have been ok but I do wonder what it must be like to look forward to work and enjoy going in.  I don't suppose it's something many folk experience though.

Got to admit, I think I got it right; career-wise. There’s not much I can think of better than making your way down Bradshawgate sirens blaring on your way to a fire. I think the driving is the bit I miss most on retirement.

Same here. Sales and sales management has meant that no two days are the same. Not having to go to the same place every day is bliss. The pandemic has been hard working mainly from home. I hate it. That’s why I can’t see me retiring any time soon. I actually enjoy working and my job

In terms of regrets, thinking about it, one thing I do regret is not doing the European aways. I was on my arse financially, with the CSA rinsing me, and having to hand over the whole £100K equity in the house to the ex-Mrs. Had STs with the daughters and did all homes and lots of aways but felt I should be careful with money and the European aways were a step too far. Probably would have made little difference overall in hindsight

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

In terms of regrets, thinking about it, one thing I do regret is not doing the European aways. I was on my arse financially, with the CSA rinsing me, and having to hand over the whole £100K equity in the house to the ex-Mrs. Had STs with the daughters and did all homes and lots of aways but felt I should be careful with money and the European aways were a step too far. Probably would have made little difference overall in hindsight

Aye 

I regret not doing Besiktas and Belgrade

Think it was Lucille Ball who said dont regret the things you do...

I regret not being confident as a teenager*

I regret listening to others and not believing in myself

I really regret not understanding that 'hard work makes up for talent when talent doesn't work hard enough' until I was in my 30s

Future is mine... And if anyone wants some grip socks 😉

* Should've tipped that shot over the bar, and realised Jill L wanted me to go down in her when we kids... FFS

4 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

First Euro campaign I was 17 so the thought never really entered my head even though I was doing away games over here. By the second Euro campaign I had just become a teenage parent so had no chance! In the circumstances I’m actually quite proud that I managed all of the Euro home games