Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H) - Play-Off 1st Leg

Cheese

Got away with an off day today but at least we're still in the tie. Game panned out pretty much as the home league game, we didn't do anywhere near enough to change that. Evatt could have made his changes 10 mins sooner, before the time they scored. 

Kachunga a strange pick, not his sort of game at all. We were far too slow and ponderous throughout, still playing football stood still in injury time. Midfield outmuscled and outplayed in all honesty, Sheehan and Morley in particular were well off it. Would sooner see MJ in for Sheehan next Friday. 

Santos defended well, won a lot of headers from their long throws / corners. Traff was under a lot of pressure but kept goal very well.

We have to match them and start fast on Friday, score first and pressure is on them. Start ponderous and passive, they score first and we might as well head for the exits. 

8 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Got away with an off day today but at least we're still in the tie. Game panned out pretty much as the home league game, we didn't do anywhere near enough to change that. Evatt could have made his changes 10 mins sooner, before the time they scored. 

Kachunga a strange pick, not his sort of game at all. We were far too slow and ponderous throughout, still playing football stood still in injury time. Midfield outmuscled and outplayed in all honesty, Sheehan and Morley in particular were well off it. Would sooner see MJ in for Sheehan next Friday. 

Santos defended well, won a lot of headers from their long throws / corners. Traff was under a lot of pressure but kept goal very well.

We have to match them and start fast on Friday, score first and pressure is on them. Start ponderous and passive, they score first and we might as well head for the exits. 

Spot on… think Evatt team selection and subs was off today, I’d be surprised if he makes same mistakes next Friday. 

12 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Jeez I was in my 30s last play off game.. bloody hell!!

39?

5 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

They completely won the midfield (Connell to be fair is excellent)

Luca has developed into a really good player and fair play to the lad, after taking pelters from us all game, he did a full lap of the pitch at the end to applaud all the Bolton fans.

4 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

MotM for me has to be the ball boy in front of me. Spotted the Barnsley ball towel early on and kicked it into a puddle.

Top notch shithousery.

One of the towels ended up in the middle of WSL

4 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

How many times does Morley want to give the ball away...

Possibly his poorest game for a long while.

I agree with so many others on here, but my take is that we can't be collectively that poor again and having got it through still on level terms, I fancy us to dispose of the Yorkshire puddings like a fat man eating a Sunday roast.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Had a couple of pints in the Fanzone after the game and traffic was still at a standstill so up doing our big shop at Asda to give it a chance to clear. AMF. ☠️ 

Took over an hour to get off the arena, attempted fanzone pre match but the queue just after 1pm was already to the north stand offices

Great atmosphere, not the best game but I think we can beat these friday if we play like we did post-substitutions

It was absolutely bouncing walking through the ESL concourse prematch. Feel like it made a noticeable difference having our own fans in that corner of the South Lower too - noise seemed to carry more.

I’d just echo most of the comments so far. Too cagey really. Both teams playing quite risk averse, albeit they were a lot better than we were. Feel like the game at their place will suit us more. 

Morley lucky to have made it through the 90. Surprised he didn’t go off when Sheehan did. 

Can't say we deserved the win, honestly speaking. Only one shot on target all match & Traff made some smart saves to keep us in the game. Michael Duff is one of the frustrating, shithouse managers that we struggled to overcome when he was at Cheltenham so always going to be a tough one especially now he has better players. Seemed like we were beaten to most second balls, struggled to win the midfield battle & offered little going forwards although looked a lot more of a threat when the subs were made. Morley, Sheehan, Kacha specifically weren't really at the races but we go to Oakwell still in the tie with having a win there this season so got to say we're in with a chance. Barnsley will no doubt take it to us Friday so it's on us to pick them apart, we're capable on our day.

• Site Supporter

Getting away was a bastard too. It’s just a free for all every week. I know there were no trains running but fuck me.

There were cars parked up on the grass, walkways, behind buses, everywhere. I saw lots of Barnsley going over towards Next car park and beyond.

Ive never seen so many strangers today, and people who didn’t realise match etiquette. Two young people in WSL shouted over to me in NSL asking if the seats next to me were free, completely ignoring the young steward. He was a waste of space too. Another stranger came up with a pint. When the steward eventually noticed he just left him to it. Someone told the wayward toper who just poured it away.

14 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Watched the game with a couple of Barnsley fans.

They shaded it.

Cant see us winning there but it’s still been a great season.

UTW.

They did but couldn’t take advantage of it, Duff really will be pissed off imo we wasn’t at the races he knows we can play much better

I fancy us away really do

• Site Supporter

As much as I’ve slated Connell for going about things the wrong way when he left, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him.

Barnsley took a gamble on him, having watched him a few times this season, I wish we’d taken a gamble on him.

still a kid, he’ll have a solid championship career.

Anyway, we’re going up

Ultimate positive spin on a home draw - if we’d have won by a 1 goal margin then I think it’d be natural to go there and try and protect the lead, no matter how much Evatt would warn against it, and I don’t think we’re at our best when we’re playing conservatively.

At least now, we’re not out of it but we still need to go and win it. Probably complete rose tinted on yesterday’s result but over the 180 minutes it might just suit us to be level at 90 rather than a marginal lead to hold onto for a full 90 mins away from home.

Barnsley did a number on us and perhaps should have won the game, i was surprised they resorted to time wasting with 15 mins or so left.

It’s advantage Barnsley, but it ain’t over yet because we hopefully won’t play as bad in the 2nd leg & we’re a decent away side.

We can do this if all our lads play well.

Win or lose, it’s been a brilliant season.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ultimate positive spin on a home draw - if we’d have won by a 1 goal margin then I think it’d be natural to go there and try and protect the lead, no matter how much Evatt would warn against it, and I don’t think we’re at our best when we’re playing conservatively.

At least now, we’re not out of it but we still need to go and win it. Probably complete rose tinted on yesterday’s result but over the 180 minutes it might just suit us to be level at 90 rather than a marginal lead to hold onto for a full 90 mins away from home.

Said exactly that yesterday. If we’d won by 1, we’d be 1-0 down after 5 minutes away.

Also said in the hotel, it would be 1-1 at home and we’ll win 2-1 on Friday. Half way there.

Im fully confident we’re going up. If we do fail, let’s smash next season out the park

They pressed well and set up to stifle midfield which stopped our play and we didn’t have a plan B to overcome this. Also thought they hit Bradley in the first minute which should have been at least a booking but he showed very little going forward but had a brilliant game defensively.

midfield needs to be much quicker Friday. I would bring in Dan for Kachunga and maybe Thomason for either Sheehan or Morley. Also need to stop fucking about too much at the back because it’s not helping with their pressing.

play like yesterday we lose but we can beat these lot and win again at Wembley 

3 things I noted from the crowd yesterday.

It felt so much busier than any game this season - probably shows how many season ticket holders are missing every week

The noise after our goal was as loud as I’ve heard it for as long as I can remember (I was away for the Forest game).

As good as it was to see it that way - the Bradley Dack lookalike daytripper that was sat 2nd row from the front of the WSU and hurled abuse at the team all game, ending it with “fuck off Evatt you useless fat c*nt” can stay away. Id rather have empty seats than an extra thousand or so of them twats.

Barnsley came with a game plan and executed it well, so fair play to them.

However, were only half way thru and we will go there with our own plan so it’s still all to play for.

If you don’t score goals then u don’t win games, we were fortunate that Charles sniffed one out, otherwise we were never gonna net yesterday and that’s my main worry in the return.

great to see Connell enjoying himself and playing with purpose and skill, I’m so pleased for him! I’m also glad that he got a haircut.

im just gonna enjoy the next game whether we win or lose coz i know this team will be better n stronger next season whatever league we are in.