Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

captainmed

57 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

This 100%… JDB is a class above the rumours of a fall out could well be true given lulu started before him.

I sit looking down on that touchline in West Upper. JDB looked properly fed up going through the motions of warming up, watching Nlundulu get on before him (he did a bit better today, to be fair). 

JDB has game nouse and experience, more than most in our side. We need him on the pitch more. The only way he'll play himself into fitness is to get gradually more minutes, not 10-15 mins here and there. Surely he must be fit enough now, two months into the season, to manage half an hour.

No complaints about the sending off ( or any of our yellows ),from NSL we said red straight away, but there was some inconsistency with their bloke clearly diving within a minute of being booked & the foul on Ndululu when he was clean through but no red for either.

Pluses...Forrester looks promising, Dan & Bod both did well as subs & the character of all the players cannot be questioned after their 2nd  half efforts.

A point gained rather than 2 lost.....I'd have snatched your hand off for a point at half time.

44 minutes ago, royal white said:

Just watched it again and I completely disagree, that's what yellow cards are for, late challenges that aren't dangerous (IMO).  But like I said I respect other opinions, that's just mine.  

Oh and how poor was Kioso?  How I remember him, I know he's a good bloke and he scored a couple of nice goals for us, but crossing is still woeful and easily gave up possession countless times.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just watched it again and I completely disagree, that's what yellow cards are for, late challenges that aren't dangerous (IMO).  But like I said I respect other opinions, that's just mine.  

Oh and how poor was Kioso?  How I remember him, I know he's a good bloke and he scored a couple of nice goals for us, but crossing is still woeful and easily gave up possession countless times.

Not dangerous? 

Agree with the vast majority of what’s already been said.

Poor first half all over the pitch. There were various reasons, some of which were specific players, but overall I just think we lack any intensity at all. Everything is slow, done half arsed etc. - it’s like it’s a pre season friendly and it’s felt like it for large chunks of games for a while now. It’s usually Santos setting this tone but even without him today the first half was exactly the same.

Their goal was coming and we just kept letting them get crosses in as easy as they liked.

Our one bit of quality in the first half resulted in a goal and it was a massive get out of jail. Fair play to Vic for being a poacher and I actually thought he played alright in the first half and his hold up play was improved.

Then Jones does that and we’re fucked. 30 seconds to go in the half and flown in when he could have just shown him down the line. It’s poor from him and could open the door for Forester to take his spot (I thought he was MOM).

2nd half, once we settled into the new formation and realised who was picking up who (which took 10 mins or so) then I thought we looked pretty comfortable and grew into the half (I know the woodwork saved us a few times).

Positives - JDC gets better and better for me, impressed with him every game. Forester looks a proper player and loved the backs to the wall in the second half (Iredale was actually miles better as a CB in a 4 than he has been in a 5). Baxter had a good game. JDB showed that he can still be very useful, he was brilliant. Dan actually did something for once. The whole team worked their bollocks off in the 2nd half.

It’s a good point, I feel a hell of a lot better than I did at half time, there are positives and we still haven’t clicked yet.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I’m struggling why folk don’t think it was a red 

Good to see you by the way pal 👍.

I think it’s borderline. 

I don’t think it’s dangerous or reckless, there’s no intent to harm him. And he’s up and about without any damage a minute later.

I don’t think anyone would have been arguing if it was a yellow. 

• Site Supporter

Felt is was a yellow, just a late challenge, not malicious..

But if that was a red, then their challenge on DN was a red too.. it's the inconsistency that's the issue..

Which of our player hit our bar with their clearance.. heart was in my mouth, think was Iredale?

I do think that our 5 3 2 is covering some cracks with defence, i don't think we would cope with a back 4 ads we don't have proper full backs anymore. 

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Not dangerous? 

No more dangerous than yellow card fouls in my opinion.  Lots of fouls that aren't even yellows cause damage, so all fouls can be deemed dangerous, its a physical contact game.  Dangerous is like the 2 fouls that Plymouth dished out at Wembley on Toal in particular, none of which were bad enough to warrant reds but Jones gets a red where there was no injury.

A fine effort second half, with the lightest-weight defence I can recall for many a day. A few showed they care a bit about not conceding and can actually defend a bit. 

Jones's red (was nailed on for me) was symptomatic of our defensive issues recently. Neither him or Iredale have the pace to deal with quick wide lads who can carry it well or get onto balls played over / beyond them.

When we lose it we're not quick enough to turn 3-5-2 into 5-3-2, with Williams/JDC dropping back closer to Jones / Iredale to lessen their exposure, the spaces around them are big and inviting. We're too easily crossed against, too easy for heading chances to be created, as per their goal. 

Forrester was really sound, maybe not the most physical but defended well, blocked, intercepted and organised. 

JDB and Dan contributed lots and we actually looked like nicking it when they were on. Sometimes simple physicality and a bit of guile is enough to unsettle L1 defenders, not just running ragged pressing. 

A point we'd have snatched hands off for at HT

6 minutes ago, desperado said:

Good to see you by the way pal 👍.

I think it’s borderline. 

I don’t think it’s dangerous or reckless, there’s no intent to harm him. And he’s up and about without any damage a minute later.

I don’t think anyone would have been arguing if it was a yellow. 

Likewise mate think I chewed your ear🍺😀, see you again soon 

• Site Supporter

Think Jones saw red because his foot was up. It was a yellow and a bollocking for me. 

New scoreboard is shit, but landscape shit. Like looking through next doors letterbox.  I think we were worth a draw, but if the changes had been earlier we might have nicked it.

We're getting too many bookings but I think it more the quality of officials that is to blame.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Think Jones saw red because his foot was up. It was a yellow and a bollocking for me. 

New scoreboard is shit, but landscape shit. Like looking through next doors letterbox.  I think we were worth a draw, but if the changes had been earlier we might have nicked it.

We're getting too many bookings but I think it more the quality of officials that is to blame.

Said at half time, the standard of refereeing in England is appalling. Watch the European games or internationals, our refs must be the worst in Europe

11 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

A fine effort second half, with the lightest-weight defence I can recall for many a day. A few showed they care a bit about not conceding and can actually defend a bit. 

Jones's red (was nailed on for me) was symptomatic of our defensive issues recently. Neither him or Iredale have the pace to deal with quick wide lads who can carry it well or get onto balls played over / beyond them.

When we lose it we're not quick enough to turn 3-5-2 into 5-3-2, with Williams/JDC dropping back closer to Jones / Iredale to lessen their exposure, the spaces around them are big and inviting. We're too easily crossed against, too easy for heading chances to be created, as per their goal. 

Forrester was really sound, maybe not the most physical but defended well, blocked, intercepted and organised. 

JDB and Dan contributed lots and we actually looked like nicking it when they were on. Sometimes simple physicality and a bit of guile is enough to unsettle L1 defenders, not just running ragged pressing. 

A point we'd have snatched hands off for at HT

There’s a reliance / expectation on the midfielders to push over and double up with the outside centre backs. I’m not turning this into a dig at GT but when he’s in the holding role it’s on him, and to be fair to him he does see the danger and tends to cover / get out to the winger, but he just isn’t mobile enough to close down and stop crosses - he got out to their left winger two or three times before the goal but they only had to turn in and out a few times and GT couldn’t positionally track them to stop the cross. It’s one of the main reasons why he picks up so many bookings - he doesn’t fly into tackles and pick them up for ferocity, he’s often late to them or in the wrong position. I actually think he has a much better footballing brain than his ability / athleticism. He’ll probably make a really good coach / manager one day.

Jones tackle right in front of me. Certainly heard it but definitely thought a yellow at the time.
Having watched back, it could go either way, but play acting definitely shaped the ref’s decision. Their mon rolling around until the card came out and then straight to his feet thereafter.
Had he got straight up after the challenge it may have been different.

First I’ve heard of an Evatt/JDB rift. Hope that’s not the case.

Oh, and calling Thomason a ‘useless cunt’ and to ‘fuck off’? Gethin arrogant? Always seemed incredibly grounded to me and has been a very good servant to this football club. Some of you need to get a grip.

Edited by BWFC_LOVE

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Nlundulu changed the game when he came on. We were getting over run, it at least stemmed the tide.

1st time this season Bod looked properly fit, give him an hour on Tuesday.

Jones is not a top player. Got away with him last season but we have better than him. Iredale equally as poor.

Good point in the end. Could have been 2 down after 15 mins so will take a point

Jones is 'in credit' with people on here, whatever that means I don't know, but it's stupid 

He's very poor, likely to be the next moved on