Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

captainmed

1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

He's been struggling for a long time for me.

His positioning is dodgy, his distribution is poor, he's ponderous and slow to recover.

If you watch Dacres-Cogley closely he seems to spend half his time shouting at Jones in a "what the fuck?" kind of way.

He’ll have Forester or Toal next to him for the next 3 games which will be interesting to see whether there’s a better connection.

After getting past the satisfaction of seeing that out for a point, I'm actually starting to feel more disappointed that we just aren't that good... Peterborough were by far the better team first half when we were 11 v 11.

We just didn't seem to get started at all and aren't dominating play as we were. For me main problems are:

-Formation is not getting most out of the players. 5-3-2 means all the chances go down the flanks, which often bypasses our midfield and crosses in to players who can't score headers. Leaves driven crosses as our only outlet for goals which is too one dimensional

-Attitude is bad. Poor discipline and seem to think we're better than we are

Positives:

-Thomason had another great game

-Bodvarsson did more in 15 mins than Jerome and Nlundulu have done all season. Has to be starting soon

Big job now turning us from 1 win in 5 back to promotion contenders

They looked like theyve recruited really well from the team we twatted last season. 

Not sure who theyve bought in but they looked miles more physical in the first half. 

Was shaping up to be a proper battle and decent game in the 2nd half. The red completely killed it. 

JDB needs to be starting asap for me. Hes actually got a footballing brain. The other 3 are thick as two short planks. Hes what weve been missing, a bit of flair and decent touch up top.

Hate calling players but I barely noticed if Thomason was even playing. Man short didnt help obviously but hes not the standard we need. We look worryingly lacking in midfield for creation.

Take that point all day long, proud how they dug in. The fans were fucking brilliant. Nobody can say the tide is turning on Evatt or anyone else, they continue to get a full backing regardless of what the echo chambers of social media say.

Santos is our most important player btw. 

I've seen a few mentions of "3 games" but isn't it just a 1 match suspension?  Violent conduct 3, all others 1 I thought but happy to be corrected.  Either way I'm hoping Forrester is now a first choice CB alongside Santos and Toal when available, about a month later than he should have been.  And that's not a dig at Jones, I've got loads of time for him, we'll see plenty more good games from him than bad.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've seen a few mentions of "3 games" but isn't it just a 1 match suspension?  Violent conduct 3, all others 1 I thought but happy to be corrected.  Either way I'm hoping Forrester is now a first choice CB alongside Santos and Toal when available, about a month later than he should have been.  And that's not a dig at Jones, I've got loads of time for him, we'll see plenty more good games from him than bad.

Correct. It's a 1 game suspension.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

IMG_2663.thumb.png.6fbe101f4a74840c66dcf6eefdea6d5d.png

Their lad might not have been badly injured but he was lucky not to be.

It’s a bad’un that - ankle goes over and on another day he’s out for months. Similar to Toal’s in the pizza final actually but maybe with less venom.

I did think that

And I'm not sure how relevant intent is now either

We still look a shadow of the team that was on a hot streak pre-wigan, that really damaged the confidence of the players and supporters - plus the current injury situation isn't ideal.

Evatt will be safe in a job as long as he keeps us in at least play-off contention but the crowd was very flat first half, and I think a fair amount of supporters after the Reading result came to this game still a bit deflated.

Jones has gone from Mr Reliable to getting a lot of criticism. Victor, despite his goals so far divides opinion and I hear a lot of people slagging him off at the game and online. Thomason, Iredale, Nlundulu, Jerome and Williams also divide opinion and have a lot of doubters

Feels like we're not really getting the best out of the team. Dempsey, Santos, Charles and Dacres Cogley are all vital at the moment and undroppable. 

Edited by Mantra

For me in a strange way the sending off actually helped us because we were expected second half to sit back and try to counter them . First half they were to quick for us which causes the tackle from jones . Luckily the post 3 times saved us and I lost count how many crosses they put into our area . Only positive today was we stuck at it for the draw 

Dug in well today and it was a hard earned point.

That said,  we rode our luck today and Posh fans must've gone home furious that they didn't ram home their one man advantage.

Struggling to see how anyone can think Jones' red card wasn't the correct decision. It was a potential leg breaker ... and there was no need for it.

Positives are JDB made us look a lot better and Nlundulu wasn't dreadful.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Another Evatt masterclass. Tiresome. He’s draining my interest 

My concern is the team aren’t playing in the Evatt style,  there seems to to be a lack of confidence in the squad and it’s Evatts job to get them playing out from the back and play his preferred possession based game, we are failing badly on those 2 fronts.

He has to get both wingbacks further up the pitch and more often and in particular Williams who’s a chocolate fire guard defensively, the team is set up for the 2 wing backs to get to the byline and we aren’t doing it enough. 

We have to get through this sticky patch and keep on the coat tails of the top 2, if our current form continues I don’t think we make top 6 and if that happens then Evatts position has to be questioned. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Clarke Harris did alright, outjumped us to knock a header in and took a few good positions up but didn't exactly terrorise us, even against our lightweight, makeshift back line. Going to be another Stockton, every time we don't play well or our strikers misfire we should have signed him. 

Obviously had some big numbers in L1 last couple of seasons but only got into double figures once in Champ, not at age where he's going to get better so £800k+ for someone arguably just to score enough to help get us up wouldn't be good business for me. 

Edited by ianofcleveleys

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My concern is the team aren’t playing in the Evatt style,  there seems to to be a lack of confidence in the squad and it’s Evatts job to get them playing out from the back and play his preferred possession based game, we are failing badly on those 2 fronts.

He has to get both wingbacks further up the pitch and more often in particular Williams who’s a chocolate fire guard defensively, the team is set up for the 2 wing backs to get to the byline and we aren’t doing it enough. 

We have to get through this sticky patch and keep on the coat tails of the top 2, if our current form continues I think we won’t make top 6 and if that happens then Evatts position has to be questioned. 

Evatt style is square pegs in round holes. He proves this week after week

We aren’t going anywhere this season. 

1 minute ago, tomski said:

Evatt style is square pegs in round holes. He proves this week after week

We aren’t going anywhere this season. 

I wouldn’t say square pegs round holes and I’ve not given up even on autos yet, just need to see him instill believe in the players to play to the style he’s insistent on playing because currently we’re a way off being a possession based team who use wing backs in advanced positions as a main goal assist threat. 

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He has to get both wingbacks further up the pitch and more often and in particular Williams who’s a chocolate fire guard defensively, the team is set up for the 2 wing backs to get to the byline and we aren’t doing it enough. 

We have to get through this sticky patch and keep on the coat tails of the top 2, if our current form continues I don’t think we make top 6 and if that happens then Evatts position has to be questioned. 

Going forward I didn't think we were too bad first half, some sharp bits of play that caused them problems. I also didn't miss Santos and his standstill football out from back, we moved it out and forward a bit quicker today and looked better for it.

Problem with the wing backs is we rightly want them to get forward and provide assists (JDC usually good at that, Williams got no change out of the lad on his side) but if they're too far forward when we lose it Iredale and Jones lack of pace against their wide men is exposed and the desperate tackles follow. 

Williams is piss weak as a defender but stuck at a difficult task pretty well second half. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I wouldn’t say square pegs round holes and I’ve not given up even on autos yet, just need to see him instill believe in the players to play to the style he’s insistent on playing because currently we’re a way off being a possession based team who use wing backs in advanced positions as a main goal assist threat. 

When we click, we click

Otherwise it's frustrating 

First three games I thought we'd piss the league, since then not sure how it will pan out 

PJ final we're unstoppable, play offs we're shit 

Dunno if still the case but the two games ago we had the most clean sheets in 2023 

This time last year we had the most points in 2022 or something like that 

We're almost there

But we're not

But we could be

Not sure if we should be

So frustrating

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

IMG_2663.thumb.png.6fbe101f4a74840c66dcf6eefdea6d5d.png

Their lad might not have been badly injured but he was lucky not to be.

It’s a bad’un that - ankle goes over and on another day he’s out for months. Similar to Toal’s in the pizza final actually but maybe with less venom.

There’s no argument 

The radio commentators kept saying it was harsh through the second half. Then it just stopped working for 20 mins and all you could hear was the crowd. Fckn useless.

Shits hit the fan since the 2nd half red card Vs Fleetwood.

Since then included we've had 3 red cards in just 8 matches, the most in the league.

Just 1 win in our last 5 league matches, but albeit some very tough fixtures at this level, Wigan, Derby, Reading, Peterborough.

Johnston out, Toal suspended although back, Thomason suspended, Jones suspended, Santos out, Ashworth out, Maghoma out, Gomes out, Coleman out,  Charles and Dempsey fighting through pain.

Christ we're only 8 games in and it's like we've been in a war.

Least we need right now is silly challenges like Jones and even Dempsey right at the start of the 2nd half.

It's definitely a sticky period but hopefully we can really put it behind now. We need to start putting some wins together as teams like Pompey and even Oxford might start pulling away.

Edited by Lostock Whites