Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Accrington (A) EFL Trophy

L/H White

Atmosphere felt pretty flat tonight.  Didn't think we started particularly well but found ourselves 2 up.  They're a horrible, scrappy team, always leaving a foot in, very physical etc but couldn't cope once we went less direct.

Jerome and JDB were excellent. Matheson played well and will get better. Midfield in the 2nd half bossed it.

Tell mi mam, mi mam...

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, tomski said:

Not that bothered about this comp but I do enjoy the winning mentality and I defo think there is something in this breeds confidence malarkey.

Aye, and good to get players like Ashworth and Mathesson in on some wins, and to see JDB get a full 90

It's good to be able to change a winning team and keep on winning 

Bit sloppy at times and we were certainly more direct than usual. Thought Morley struggled a bit and Maghoma seemed obsessed at taking one touch too many. Main thing was getting in the hat, though, so job done in that sense. Don’t blame Holt for the price in the end, that police bill must have been fucking ridiculous. Home draw, please.

Just got back , thought Accy were very attack focussed so had some decent possession early. Then suddenly we were two up and it was clear they could not defend.

Paris had a moment.

Second half thought we battered them Big Daddy MOM for me excellent for 85 minutes looked shot at the end. Dempsey superb second half capped by the goal. 

We looked a class above them, not sure how many changes they had made. Booing Pritchard a bit strange, I do not even remember him. Throughly professional performance .

Think Pritchard just got stick for the hair band and being on ‘our’ side of the field. Those around me had no idea he even played for us. Put in a couple of decent deliveries tbf and is probably one of the most successful of that crop of kids if he establishes himself in League Two. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Think Matheson has a lot of potential for us, can he play on the left?? 😛

Maybe not - but Dacres-Cogley did well there against Wycombe is we wanted to keep Mathison right

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It looked bloody cold on that terrace.

It was very intimate.

We were like Emperor Penguins.

Taking turns on the outside.

Edited by Steejay

• Members

I thought Jerome and JDB looked a class above the level of opposition they were playing against.

Maghoma at times looked too good for them ... but also like he knew this and a bit arrogant and lazy.

Thought Luke Matheson did very well again. 

22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I thought Jerome and JDB looked a class above the level of opposition they were playing against.

Maghoma at times looked too good for them ... but also like he knew this and a bit arrogant and lazy.

Thought Luke Matheson did very well again. 

Yep, totally agree. Plus Dempsey was very good. I knew that shot was going in as soon as it left his boot.

6 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Maybe not - but Dacres-Cogley did well there against Wycombe is we wanted to keep Mathison right

That’s fair enough but we all know that we really need a quality LWB because none of Williams, Iredale or Ashworth are really up to it. Randell is the best of those three but still lacking defensively. Hopefully it’s on IE’s list for this window.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

That’s fair enough but we all know that we really need a quality LWB because none of Williams, Iredale or Ashworth are really up to it. Randell is the best of those three but still lacking defensively. Hopefully it’s on IE’s list for this window.

None of them are really up to it? That must be why we're having such a poor season. Jesus wept.

25 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Feck off! 

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Think theres only 5 clubs in the entire football league that have conceeded less.

Mad how we all see stuff differently.

Think Cogley is sound as a pound and the best WB/FB we have. Great going forward and loads of pace to get back.

Randall for me does a job, not bad going forwards but a little lightweight. 

Iredale solid enough.

Fuck all wrong with em.

Edited by gonzo

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Think theres only 5 clubs in the entire football league that have conceeded less.

Mad how we all see stuff differently.

Think Cogley is sound as a pound and the best WB/FB we have. Great going forward and loads of pace to get back.

Randall for me does a job, not bad going forwards but a little lightweight. 

Iredale solid enough.

Fuck all wrong with em.

Randell has been poor recently but was brilliant at Luton; he also had a very good start to the season. Iredale has also had some good performances there. 

been disappointed with Cogley in a few games but definitely good enough for this league and on form is brilliant 

1 minute ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

been disappointed with Cogley in a few games but definitely good enough for this league and on form is brilliant 

Matheson doing well hopefully means JDC can get some rest in a bit more often than he has been.

As for the other side Randy does ok for me can't say I've noticed him being as poor as some seem to have done. Doesnt help him that he's not paired with left footed CB so doesn't get the same link up and support as JDC gets on the right.

36 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Matheson doing well hopefully means JDC can get some rest in a bit more often than he has been.

As for the other side Randy does ok for me can't say I've noticed him being as poor as some seem to have done. Doesnt help him that he's not paired with left footed CB so doesn't get the same link up and support as JDC gets on the right.

You need to concentrate more. All our wing backs have weaknesses and make mistakes, pretty much like every other player in the division. But if you do not concentrate and get distracted by the fact we are second in league with games in hand, scored more goals last year than ever before, a pretty solid defence, two goals from Wembley and just drew away at a Premiership club you might miss the odd mistake they make. 
No point watching the game if you do not exercise your right to criticise the players.