Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool (A)

Duck Egg

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

With this fixture it's not just that we've gone 47 years without winning there (approx 15 games) but it's the ways we've contrived to balls up great positions. 

When we played them on Boxing Day 85 it was the first time since the last win at Christmas in 1977. We were 0-1 up with seconds to go (David Cross) and conceded an equaliser. That set the tone.

In the Sherpa Van semi final there in 88/89 it felt like a win but it was a 1-1 draw. Deep in to injury time they were down to 10 men and Jeff Chandler missed a sitter to make it 1-2 on the night and 3-1 to us on aggregate.

Anyone remember 89/90? We were 0-1 up late on in an FA Cup first round tie there in November and later the same season in a league (Easter). We lost both 2-1. Absolutely grim on both occasions. Even in 92/3 under Bruce we were leading 0-1 until the last couple of mins only for David Burke to concede a penalty. It was galling to go there with a forward line including Sturridge/SKD/Klasnic/Chungy and lose 4-3 in 10/11 in the first time we'd played there for 18 years. Then in the last 10-12 years back in the second tier I remember us drawing 2-2 after having twice taken the lead. I also remember Tim Ream missing a late sitter in a game that finished 0-0. 

The only consolation is they've had the same catalogue of missed opportunities to break their winless run at ours over a similar timeframe.

It's got to end sooner or later. Promotion is the aim - but doing this tomorrow would be a serious bonus on the way. It ain't going to be simple though!! 

Yes I remember all those 80s games, a great atmosphere in the away end every time and we played well generally (not like some of the meltdowns we've had at other local grounds).  That Sherpa Van semi, we were comfortably winning it 1-0 when Craig Madden went racing through towards our end and got "tackled" on the edge of the box by Winstanley.  Penalty given, we went ballistic.  An excuse to dig out one of Dave Higson's all time finest commentary, I don't think Dave thought it was in the box:

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

This board just wouldn’t be the same without you panicking about something. 

😆

Can’t worry about the team if all I worry about is logistics 🤣

You know the whole thing has gone to shit when Northern are seen as the reliable option 😂 

23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes I remember all those 80s games, a great atmosphere in the away end every time and we played well generally (not like some of the meltdowns we've had at other local grounds).  That Sherpa Van semi, we were comfortably winning it 1-0 when Craig Madden went racing through towards our end and got "tackled" on the edge of the box by Winstanley.  Penalty given, we went ballistic.  An excuse to dig out one of Dave Higson's all time finest commentary, I don't think Dave thought it was in the box:

Planned on going with some mates but spent the afternoon in Townleys with my heavily pregnant wife due to high blood pressure. They decided to keep her in overnight. She very kindly said I could go to the match. Which I did. Obviously a keeper. We’ve been married 40 years this year. 
It was a great night. Blackpool that is. 😊

The final is another story.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Possibly the worst decision I've ever seen given against us. George Tyson was the ref? Fair play to him though for spotting the handball later on.

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Anyone remember 89/90? We were 0-1 up late on in an FA Cup first round tie there in November and later the same season in a league (Easter). We lost both 2-1. Absolutely grim on both occasions.

The cup game was so dull, I remember talk on the terrace was how was MotD going to cobble together enough highlights to show it.

The Easter league game was grim. We were totally in control that day and should have been 2 or 3 up before a total collapse at the end.

Can recall a 1-1 draw in the mid eighties. Midweek. Dave Sutton scored. Also saw a 3-0 gubbing in the Sherpa Van when a young Trevor Sinclair ran riot for them.  

4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Possibly the worst decision I've ever seen given against us. George Tyson was the ref? Fair play to him though for spotting the handball later on.

It is funny hearing Dave Higson slaughter the ref for giving the pen which he said was clearly outside area but then Dave totally misses the handball for our pen, claiming a foul

31 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Blimey! There are a few contenders for that accolade. 
Barry Knight alone deserves at least 3 of the top ten slots.

Oh aye but it's still the worst I've seen live, that I can remember. I wasn't at the Knight game.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Zico said:

I want us to win for me, because I have money on us winning the title (as well as finishing top 2, and getting promoted one way or another)

I want us to win for the club, because we're on this upward trajectory journey going in the right direction and I like everything about the club at the minute

I want us to win for all us on here and other fans too

but most of all

most of all I want us to win for you, because you've been going on about not winning at blackpool for as long as I can remember, it clearly means a lot

oh and for @gonzo too

Wow, mate, I agree 😉

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

The cup game was so dull, I remember talk on the terrace was how was MotD going to cobble together enough highlights to show it.

The Easter league game was grim. We were totally in control that day and should have been 2 or 3 up before a total collapse at the end.

Can recall a 1-1 draw in the mid eighties. Midweek. Dave Sutton scored. Also saw a 3-0 gubbing in the Sherpa Van when a young Trevor Sinclair ran riot for them.  

The answer to that is that in them days they had no problem showing "highlights" that was just a bit of non event crap football!  And lots of chat from the commentator, with nothing going on of note.  Two great goals from Blackpool to be fair to them.

Refreshing to see a proper atmosphere for an FA Cup 1st round match, if that was now it would be 5k rattling around and both teams making a load of changes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blackpool+v+bolton+1989+fa+cup+match+of+the+day&sca_esv=24d434d1ee6f8031&sxsrf=ACQVn085D0NAqUmaevPlYk-TXWXYaJeCvw%3A1708722029495&source=hp&ei=bQfZZY2tG82N9u8P4_6WcA&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZdkVfXmyUWQtmLn8C8WycRQvKjyU_Qob&ved=0ahUKEwjNl9fMrcKEAxXNhv0HHWO_BQ4Q4dUDCBg&uact=5&oq=blackpool+v+bolton+1989+fa+cup+match+of+the+day&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6Ii9ibGFja3Bvb2wgdiBib2x0b24gMTk4OSBmYSBjdXAgbWF0Y2ggb2YgdGhlIGRheTIFECEYoAFI31dQAFidUHABeACQAQGYAYEDoAHQPKoBCjE0LjIwLjExLjO4AQPIAQD4AQGYAjCgArE_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&sclient=gws-wiz

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I know times have changed for all clubs but just looked back at season 88/89, we only got over 5000 on at home 9 times in the season. Some really poor crowds

Same for everyone, it was all relative (eg Everton, Arsenal, City, Leeds crowds nothing like they are now).  Nobody ever had to buy a ticket for a game in advance unless it was Manchester derby, Scouse derby etc.  I used to enjoy just turning up at away games - or any game anywhere - on the day, not saying I'd go back to that, but it feels like the days of just going to a game when you wanted to have gone.

And although crowds were clearly a fraction of what they are now, if the crowd was 7k, there were 7k there.  Now the numbers aren't reality with all the £35 S/Ts etc.

Actually my first ever game at Burnden, in fact my first anywhere was against Blackpool in March 1962 and it was a boring 0-0 draw. I just hope tomorrows a bit more exciting and it’s us that scores the goals?

Edited by Whitesince63

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Honourable mention to the first leg and Russell Coughlin. Only footballer in history to create a satellite from a football. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

He really took it personally did Dave. How many times did he say 'it was outside the uryerr' ?

Looks like a nice weather day today, just a shame the ticket restrictions in place, otherwise we could have easily taken 6k today possibly more, sadly I’ll be watching on the dodgy feed. Those with tickets enjoy the day and help the lads bring back the 3 points. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper