Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

2 hours ago, freds dad said:

They will focus on Sheehan tomorrow if he plays and will take it in turn to foul him.

We either need to rest him and bypass that phase of play or let them kick lumps out of him and hope the ref is tough, but having seen the last few times he's been targeted I don't hold out too much hope.

I would put Morley and Thomasson in there to take the fight to them.

Morley a no for me

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I can’t believe people want to leave Sheehan out because other teams will target him. Surely we need our best team not weaken it by taking out our best players. We need to be in the refs ear right from the start and instead of the gentleman he is jumping straight back up again, Josh needs to play on it a bit like others do. Evatt must know what to expect in this so whatever they do we need to make sure we play on it where we can and George needs to be told not to react when he will also be targeted. We’ve suffered too much shithousery from other clubs and it’s time we did a bit ourselves.

In principle you would play Sheehan. 

Unfortunately though, for some of our tougher games, it hasn't worked. Might not be entirely his fault because of weak refereeing, but it's about getting the best result on the day.

Can't be asking for increased shithousery from us neither, but expect George not to get involved. 

• Site Supporter

Thing is, if he gets booked we lose him for a game or two. Leave him out v Barnsley then Derby, we’ve lost him for a game or two.

I’m surprised it’s even being discussed.

He knows he’s walking a tightrope so it’s down to him and his self-discipline 

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

And that is my point. What we do isn't particularly successful in certain games.

It may work tomorrow, but if IE chooses to tweak things, you can't blame him. 

If Sheehan plays deep to pick up the ball it means we either lose a  body further forward or the WBs have to be in attack mode and Evatt may not risk that. he could go with a more solid WB combo and midfield and play Maghoma at 10 seeing as he is the most attack minded passer. Thought he was doing well but having watched the video of Maghoma v Cambridge on BWFC Analysis on Twatter I’m convinced he could be the key to unlock Barnsley - loads of attempted killer passes most of which were successful notably Collins goal.
That said if he goes down that route Maghoma will become the target for shithousery. A real talent.

Barnsley are probably the most 'solid' team in the promotion hunt. Very organised and everyone knows their job. We all know exactly how they will play and how they will try and stop us playing.

Given this you would hope that we can come up with a half decent plan to combat this based on our strengths. 

Let's just go there and fucking batter them. 

On 02/03/2024 at 23:42, Jol_BWFC said:

A point is a good result here against an in form team. Steady the ship and be ready to go toe to toe for the last 11 games. I fancy us more against Derby and Pompey than I do against these lot.

It would be a good point had we got 3 from either Blackpool or Wigan.

Sooner or later you will have to beat teams around you.

Thats the way it works.

Win on Tuesday it’s on. 

Accepting a draw will mean we haven’t won an away game in 4.

That doesn’t get you promoted.

Evatt knows how they set up and play we played them enough times so a good coach would have a plan to combat them let’s see if he does or will stick to his normal tactics! 

4 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Evatt knows how they set up and play we played them enough times so a good coach would have a plan to combat them let’s see if he does or will stick to his normal tactics! 

I’m not sure Evatt works on plans to counter the opposition just to play our game and trust that’s enough if everyone does their job which is why I’d be surprised if we don’t start with the eleven we had against Cambridge. Is that being stubborn or sticking to the plan? I’m not sure but whatever he does I just hope it’s enough because a defeat could be terminal for the automatics.

12 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Thats the way it works.

Win on Tuesday it’s on. 

Exactly. We have put ourselves in the position that we have to consider the games against Barnsley, Derby, Stevenage, and Pompey as opportunities to stick one on the opposition.

21 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Exactly. We have put ourselves in the position that we have to consider the games against Barnsley, Derby, Stevenage, and Pompey as opportunities to stick one on the opposition.

Indeed, it’s a great chance to take points off our rivals. But we won’t win them all and they will be thinking the same about taking points off us.

I think Barnsley is the toughest of those and that’s why I’d be happy with a point tomorrow.

To be clear, I wouldn’t be happy if we only got 4 draws from the above 4 games.

On 03/03/2024 at 00:02, captainmed said:

Thats the way it works.

Win on Tuesday it’s on. 

On 03/03/2024 at 07:43, Jol_BWFC said:

I’ve lost count of the number of must wins this season that we haven’t won. The number of times “teams that get promoted win these games” etc. Yet here we are - top 2 firmly within reach. I’m not looking back at games we’ve lost. I’m looking forward to the ones we have left.

42 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Thats the way it works.

Win on Tuesday it’s on. 

As you’ve quoted me twice, I’ll post twice 😁

I’ve lost count of the number of must wins this season that we haven’t won. The number of times “teams that get promoted win these games” etc. Yet here we are - top 2 firmly within reach. I’m not looking back at games we’ve lost. I’m looking forward to the ones we have left.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

As you’ve quoted me twice, I’ll post twice 😁

I’ve lost count of the number of must wins this season that we haven’t won. The number of times “teams that get promoted win these games” etc. Yet here we are - top 2 firmly within reach. I’m not looking back at games we’ve lost. I’m looking forward to the ones we have left.

You should be on Bolton till I die 

9 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Top 2 firmly within reach. I’m not looking back at games we’ve lost. I’m looking forward to the ones we have left.

Nah, top 2 has gone, remember?

2 hours ago, captainmed said:

Anyway I hope that the IE quotes appearing on FB are wind-ups.

If not, your timing is impeccable. 

I saw something that raised an eyebrow with me today. 

Something along the lines of the last couple of weeks have taken their toll on him and he'll consider his options at the end of the season. 

Sounded a bit like a thinly veiled 'stop moaning or I'm off'