Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 minute ago, Big E said:

These cunts appearing in my Twitter feed who I don’t follow. How do I stop it 

At the top there should be 2 tabs, on people you follow, the other 'for you' which is based on who you follow and similar. The 'for you' section is just fucking weird mind police rabbit holes, very funny. 

8 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

How many players have we signed in the past five years for more than we've paid for Dan and Forrester? I don't think they're here to be just cover, I think there's a good chance they'll both feature in the majority of our games.

Paying a fee for them doesn't make them better than those already here.  If Jones, Santos, Johnstone, Toal, Charles and a fit JDB were under contract elsewhere we wouldn't get any of them for less than £200k.  I'd be surprised if Forrester or Dan start more games than their competitors, injuries permitting, but we'll see.

9 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

How many players have we signed in the past five years for more than we've paid for Dan and Forrester? I don't think they're here to be just cover, I think there's a good chance they'll both feature in the majority of our games.

Forrester not going off the iles interview with the guy from port vale . I think he is more for cover and for the future . The money we have paid looks like a good investment in a young promising player . 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, noxid said:

Everyone seems to be speaking another language.

For the older generation is there any latest transfer news out there today?

No. Best to not believe anything until you see a photo of them wearing a Bolton shirt or holding a Bolton scarf next to the pitch.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Big E said:

These cunts appearing in my Twitter feed who I don’t follow. How do I stop it 

Shite it defaults to that 

Also shite that I get to see things that people I follow like or comment on 

I'm only interested in see their posts

On 02/07/2023 at 12:01, Whitesince63 said:

I think it might have been the “I’m happy to be here” comment followed by the “at the moment” bit. Why add at the moment? May be nothing but sometimes you can read between the lines. Let’s hope it was nothing and George stays.

Yeah that was it and just a gut hunch , hope Im wrong as I think he is our best player ..

22 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

Never heard of Forrester.

Don't give a fuck. If he can pass a ball and tackle he'll do. 

Most Vale fans seem to rate their other young defender Cass as a better player than Will so let’s hope that Evatt’s got it right and Will turns out to be as good as we hope. I don’t expect to see much of him initially as long as none of our main 3 aren’t going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Most Vale fans seem to rate their other young defender Cass as a better player than Will so let’s hope that Evatt’s got it right and Will turns out to be as good as we hope. I don’t expect to see much of him initially as long as none of our main 3 aren’t going anywhere.

Most Port Vale fans are odd though. Must factor that in.

Not sure what to expect in this window now, but after all the hype about us having an increased transfer budget and having been linked to 3 quality players early doors I'm wondering if we'll still be getting a couple of top quality signings before the window is out? I'm happy we've got our own goalie(s) and have added to the squad defensively but I don't think we've spent a lot in the scheme of things and we need quality elsewhere.

Now that we're allegedly fishing in a different pond, have the recruitment team underestimated the wage expectation of the players they are targeting?  Do these players baulk at the idea of playing in League 1? Is it just a slower process than they anticipated? Is the release of £2 million of further shares an effort to up the budget even further to meet agent/player demands?

I know there's a long way to go and I'd rather have a late quality signing than no quality signing at all but I can't help but feel a little impatient. Sure I trust Evatt and Markham to come up with the goods and I'm equally sure they're working around the clock to sort it out but I hate it when there's no news.

Allegedly, we started the window with an increased transfer budget, then got income from the bond scheme and boosted it even further with the share issue so I'm hoping they are going to surprise us all with a couple of marquee signings when I know perfectly well that I shouldn't be hoping for anything.

Frustrating ATM.

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Not sure what to expect in this window now, but after all the hype about us having an increased transfer budget and having been linked to 3 quality players early doors I'm wondering if we'll still be getting a couple of top quality signings before the window is out? I'm happy we've got our own goalie(s) and have added to the squad defensively but I don't think we've spent a lot in the scheme of things and we need quality elsewhere.

Now that we're allegedly fishing in a different pond, have the recruitment team underestimated the wage expectation of the players they are targeting?  Do these players baulk at the idea of playing in League 1? Is it just a slower process than they anticipated? Is the release of £2 million of further shares an effort to up the budget even further to meet agent/player demands?

I know there's a long way to go and I'd rather have a late quality signing than no quality signing at all but I can't help but feel a little impatient. Sure I trust Evatt and Markham to come up with the goods and I'm equally sure they're working around the clock to sort it out but I hate it when there's no news.

Allegedly, we started the window with an increased transfer budget, then got income from the bond scheme and boosted it even further with the share issue so I'm hoping they are going to surprise us all with a couple of marquee signings when I know perfectly well that I shouldn't be hoping for anything.

Frustrating ATM.

Dont think we will be signing any more forwards, in todays BN, our new signing is Bod.

The only 'frustration' for the realistic, is that we got blocked by St. Mirren (🤪) from signing a player no-one had heard of previously and a very good 4th Division wing-back who'd been sidelined at Bristol City after an injury & 9 games & who was keen to join saw Bristol play last minute games.

We realistically know little about the various new players we have signed. They could be master strokes, or duffers.

I still want that Karl Henry type & not sure one's currently in the squad (though, possibly, Dempsey could be the man).

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Most fans will over-rate the one who hasn't jumped ship.

Gartside hailed Sammy Lee as a good manager...

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Frustrating ATM.

I think you could be right on the wages thing Lusty because IE already indicated that he couldn’t recruit players on wages that were significantly higher than those already here. The problem is that better players can demand better wages and it doesn’t look like we’ve so far been able to meet them. I’m still hopeful that IE and CM will deliver but it may mean we have to wait it out until nearer the end of the window so yes, frustrating!!

38 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I think you could be right on the wages thing Lusty because IE already indicated that he couldn’t recruit players on wages that were significantly higher than those already here. The problem is that better players can demand better wages and it doesn’t look like we’ve so far been able to meet them. I’m still hopeful that IE and CM will deliver but it may mean we have to wait it out until nearer the end of the window so yes, frustrating!!

That is a really sensible approach by the club and long May it continue. We are growing things steadily and that is the way to keep us on a sustainable financial path. 

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I don't have a problem with sticking to the budget or not setting a wage threshhold precedent that could upset the apple cart - in fact I think it's absolutely necessary we do stick to our guns. I was just speculating that seeing as we were allegedly after Wilson, Baccus and Flick whether or not there's been a slight miscalculation of player/agent expectations re personal terms?

I can see why those guys were targets in terms of the fit with Evattball and we didn't seem to be a million miles off the mark in terms of anticipated transfer fees, but I'd have thought that we'd have gone into it with a pretty good idea of what personal terms they'd want as well - and yet that seems to have been the sticking point with Wilson and Baccus.

But....plenty of time yet and hopefully we'll get the quality we need. Still it's frustrating that it didn't happen early in the pre-season.