Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

21 Today

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Finished school at dinner so we could stand in the king bill for 3 hours longer than usual :)

I did the darcy lever pub crawl. Never done them all previously; usually one or the other. Loads of folk with banners etc- reminded me of white Friday walks.

Great atmosphere and a wonderful evening.

Always wish I could be transported back there to that night but at drinking age, just to live it and see what town was like after.

McGinlay’s face after he scuffs that second in, says it all about the man and what the club meant to him.

stood on the embankment that night, after being on the MRN week in week out wanted to tick off every stand but felt weird not being in there for the final time

few days later went back down with my mates, sneaked in through a hole in the fence between the embankment and paddock. diggers on the pitch beginning the work but not a soul around. Walked round the pitch for a final time, all proceeded to nick some turf of our own. walked down the tunnel, gate in to the changing rooms was open, went in, few showers still on and loads of stuff still dotted about.

ended up lifting Chris Faircloughs players copy of the final programme (gold if i remember) which was still in a sealed envelope, loads of socks & shorts from the 3rd kits that never went on sale and i remember being gutted my mate got the Number 10 old substitution boards we used to use (white with red numbers)

as kids that memorabilia meant everything. Wouldve happily got nicked for it but just waltzed back out and up Manny road with our loot

Fantastic night and get emotional looking at the videos of pre game and the game itself, It was great that they let the fans play matches on the hallowed turf before ground was pulled down and we played twice, drew one game then played Coventry police no idea why they played, but battered them. One of the lads has video of one of the games gonna have to ask him to get me a copy. Happy days would love a time machine to go back and press play again.

• Site Supporter

Used to use the changing area for search and rescue training; a dummy hidden somewhere and a massive gave of hide and seek only using your hands and feet. Your vision obscured to imitate a smoke logged building. Afterwards we went up to Supporters Lounge and were given the OK to cut the carpets up with stanley knives. I'm fairly sure one or two had the individual badges framed.
On another visit we stumbled upon boxes and boxes of programmes from the last game. I still have three or four of them somewhere knocking about.