Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

2 hours ago, kent_white said:

The moment you stop going apeshit for a last minute equaliser (whoever it's against) is the moment you should give up following the football. 

Yeah that match we drew with Blackpool 2-2 (can't remember when) me and my dad went mental. The thought of losing to Blackpool.

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

The moment you stop going apeshit for a last minute equaliser (whoever it's against) is the moment you should give up following the football. 

I get what your saying, but it got me thinking of last minute equalisers (not winners) when I've only celebrated mildly.  Yeovil in 2013 when Baptiste equalised, hardly raised a clap from me, I was so gutted at how crap we'd become.  That was the 9th game of the season and we still hadn't won.  Our overrated, overpaid bunch of no-marks then failed to beat Yeovil, I didn't feel like celebrating.

More recently - Mansfield last season when Sarcevic equalised about 10pm, I was already pissed off at the state of our team and didn't celebrate.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, kent_white said:

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah that match we drew with Blackpool 2-2 (can't remember when) me and my dad went mental. The thought of losing to Blackpool.

Always remember THAT game against Burnley at Turf Moor when we drew 2-2 or THAT 2-2 game at home to Leicester on Boxing Day. 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, MickyD said:

Always remember THAT game against Burnley at Turf Moor when we drew 2-2 or THAT 2-2 game at home to Leicester on Boxing Day. 

Two unforgettable days in our history…

8 hours ago, MickyD said:

The Nicky Spooner leg break game. McGinlay didn't throw the ball back and we equalised, inject that feeling straight into my veins. "We only need 9 men", not sure Spooner ever really got back, such a shame as he had a decent future.

10 hours ago, MickyD said:

I still take great pride that you can see me jumping about on the front row behind the goal in my cream coloured Le Coq Sportif trackies. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
10 hours ago, L/H White said:

lazy fuckers

To be fair, Crewe’s entire match build up, predictions and aftermath is posted below.

Bolton

So, no predictions - I don't really do them (and even less the ones on Radio Joke when people name an exact score with names of scorers - football doesn't work like that guys) - but to get the ball rolling Alex 3 Trotters 0! 

That should raise a few eyebrows, but do I mean it?

Just going out of the door, I'll go optimistically 1-1

Well what can you say a terrible game with two terrible teams, Bolton just about deserved their win. Lowery was poor today by his standards but still was our best player and that says it all. On a previous post I said that the entire first team squad are simply not good enough and today has done nothing but reinforce that comment. I also said that this squad will struggle in league 2 and again today has done nothing other than reinforce that as Bolton were about as good and played a similar way to most league 2 teams big a physical and we will simply collapse under that kind of examination. Truly truly dreadful I fear that our football league status is under serious threat if these people stay at the helm. And a side note the pitch is dreadful and the scoreboard is poor by other clubs standards, the pies are overpriced the coffee tastes terrible, to a lot of people on this forum though will think the club is improving and heading in the right direction which is true downwards.

Dave blaming the pitch....For Gods sake buy a bloody mower then.

The only problem with the pitch is all the supporters who have their head's buried in it, next season is going to be a big wake up call.

Looking forward to next season....if only to count the number of posts from those predicting (wanting?) us to go straight through to the National League.
However, back to real world.... it was a tough watch. Some positive forward play at times but still toothless. I do hope that next season the plan is to inject some pace into movement forward. I also we improve our first touch and that Long can play off someone instead of chasing down lost causes.

That’s it. No wonder nobody could be arsed.

• Site Supporter

Took a look on Wigan’s forum. They even chat about us when we’re playing other teams.

Bolton at Crewe today.

3300. Where did they put them. We sold out for boxing day and it was 2500 I recall. Where did they find room for 3300. Unless there's a mistake on Fotmob.

They are only small mis-shapen people.

Our Boxing Day sell-out was 2,300 so it will have been a mistake the number you've seen. Looks like their pitch invaders were at it again, though they not in quite the ridiculous numbers when they did it at Morecambe....absolute shower that lot of fans. Hope we lock them in the DW till the Sunday

Bolton away stand will be empty on about 70 minutes in a fortnight just as the home stands were at their place. They won't hang around to listen to " Bolton get battered" every 5 minutes.

That’s one game these lot will be fired up for just hope it’s not another Sunderland game

• 2 weeks later...

Go on then.

PREMATCH

(about the time change)

Looking at the behaviour of both sets of fans over the last few years i would say this is a good idea. Every single time both sides have met for a good few years, they have been brawling round the corner from my house. Fighting over a game of football though...... soft sods.

Looking forward to sending these delusional clowns home with their tails between their legs.

Hello, welcome to the Real world where you're not a huge team just a very average 3rd tier side.

Despite Evatt calling it a cup final, they haven’t even sold all their tickets. As such shouldn’t be too much of an issue re home sales.

I don't understand horwich infatuation with us
A club on the level of Bury Rochdale and oldham
Last time they won anything was during the British empire
We are a bigger club nowadays they don't even play in bowton anymore ffcks
Shit club shit fans
Everything about them is shit
Up the tics at least we did see us win an fa Cup
Not just read about it in history books lol

Be a very hard game this they will be up for it could go either way this one

Anyway, back to the match. It's a funny one with several moving parts....being the business end of the season nerves will play a part at least on our side and could affect our performance. They will be desperate to throw a spoke in our wheel but also we can finally put an end to any last flickering hope they have of reaching the play offs. Also on their day aren't a bad side but if we approach it positively we should edge a tight match. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world as long as we follow it up with victory on Wednesday.

I think this will be a really tough game, i think it's going to be a much tougher game than back in October. We went quite direct with lots of long balls but we had Wyke dominating them in the air and they couldn't live with it. They also had no out ball in Doyle up front on his own if they went long (they did have Bakayoko on the wing but they didn't aim for him much) so we had a lot of joy with a very high press forcing mistakes. They tried to play the passing football that we have so often struggled against but they weren't skillful enough to play through or around us and weren't physical enough to cope with us in the battle we dragged them into.

Last time we played their weaknesses played very well into our strengths and they were pretty much ideal opponents on the day. But as both teams have changed over the season; we haven't got Wyke or the ability to go long effectively anymore and they've also recruited a number of new players that have improved them, changed system and signed a 6'5 striker to give them an outball if pressed high. So i think stylistically they will be a far tougher opponent this time as we will be playing more of a passing game and they are better suited to coping with our physicality.

Even though points wise they are pretty much playing for nothing they'll obviously be highly motivated to try and regain some pride by beating us after their humiliation last time.

Looking at their stats Bolton do seem to be very slow starters, with them seeming to concede a lot of goals in the first 15 minutes of games and they also concede the first goal in over 60% of their games. But to counter that they are pretty good at equalising about 50% of the time and they are strong finishers scoring a lot of goals in the final 15 minutes, they've managed to score even more than us! Also if they get the lead they are very good at holding it, seeing it through over 75% of the time.

They've played 14 games against the top 8 teams with 3 wins (1 against Sunderland at home, home and away against Oxford), 1 draw (MK home) and 10 loses. So they have generally struggled against the better sides in the league.

Bolton do play a style along the lines of Oxford, MK, Lincoln, Sunderland etc that has given us problems more often than not. But we showed against MK recently how effectively we can deal with that by keeping the ball away from them. So hopefully we'll be able to turn in that type of performance again and with McClean and Lang available this time plus Magennis finding his feet that will give us the added edge we maybe missed against MK to get the win. Looking at their stats if we can come out of the gates fast we have a good chance of catching them cold and the first goal could be crucial. We'll also need to watch out for late comebacks even if we are on top heading into the last 15 mins.

I'll be shitting myself. These knobs owe us one big time and sooner or later they'll give it to us, I'm just praying it doesn't come for a few years yet. To be honest, I'd take a draw that's how nervous I am. Just the thought of losing to THEM knocks me sick.

If we can't beat this shower of shit we don't deserve to go up
6.0 wigan

Who's this then?

You won’t be far off with that team Latic but I expect Dempsey to be in for either Sadlier, or even Dapo who hasn’t been in good form lately. Evatt may decide to bring them in later along with Bakajoko. Either way, it will be a tough game and our last opportunity to both continue our outside chance of the play offs, or spike your gun for the drubbings you’ve given us recently. Much as I’d like to get our own back, I fear you may be just too strong for us and sneak it.

What the hell is everyone getting in a flap about its only bloody Bolton ffs.

Yes they'll be up for it after the 4-0 spanking we gave them but so will we, my hard earned is on Latics 2-0.

Going for a nervy & edgy 2 - 1 win.

They are not nearly as good as their delusional manager likes to say they are ….I will be disappointed and surprised if we don't give them a good leathering.

TBH if we have any susceptibility it tends to be at Home more so than away, so on this season’s evidence Bolton have more of a chance here than they would in Horwich.
Nonetheless it’s disappointing to hear Evatt’s sometimes inane ramblings …unlucky …ref should have done more…injury crisis …look at Wigan’s budget…..etc …a load of waffle.

Probably up there with one of, if not the worst team I’ve seen all season. That said it’s a derby so that it evens out of the contest. Looking at the table even if they win all their remaining games it won’t be enough to get them into the play offs so the pressure will be off them and they’ll be playing to restore some pride.

It's a totally different team than the one we played in October, that's the danger we face. Gone are the L2 cloggers like Doyle, Sarcevic and that keeper who basically palmed one in his own net, this will be a totally different match.

'Mon then Latics. Eight Nil. Fuck em.

DURING

One-way traffic, Bolton seem to be defending with 14 behind the ball. Just needs a bit of class, or luck, or both with the final through-ball or delivery. Could be 2- or 3-up here, hope it doesn't bite us on the arse.

Magennis has been excellent, Lang has been utter shite. Our worst player on the pitch by a mile. Should have gone same team. Also McClean should be off the pitch and needs subbing.

Take McClean off before he gets sent off.

Not enjoying this spell of Bolton possession. Great game to watch though. Plenty of needle...Need a second or they'll do us with a set piece or lump into the box. ARGH.

Just like that.

AFTER

1-1 FT fair result in the end, we defended well and I thought Kerr and Naylor were top class, we need to be way better and calm when we’re 1-0 up though, way to frantic, with a bit more composure we would be out of sight.

If ever there was a game of 2 halves this was it. We were excellent in the first and piss poor in the second. 2 points dropped imo

Wouldn’t say it was two points dropped as we were lucky to get one. Bolton would have felt robbed had they got nothing. Had Humphrys started, I think I we’d have scored more than just the one goal in that first half. Bolton’s subs were good and their goalscorer was outstanding.

Completely outplayed em first half…they didn’t have the ball in our half until 20 odd minutes in……but….we failed to turn pressure into goals ….wouldn’t say for a minute they bossed the 2nd half but they certainly had the last 20 minutes. Also had FAR too much room and time to swing that cross in from the right wing for their equaliser and on earlier occasions.

McLean deffo got out of jail in first half injury time ….he does seem to get too wound up sometimes and I was surprised he wasn’t’ subbed at HT
That Afolayan will never get jobs as ‘Weebles’ when their playing days are over.

Give over …first 45 minutes Bolton were one of the worst teams that’s been down here all season….they certainly improved that last 20/30 minutes but the only thing they could feel aggrieved about is McClean not getting that 2nd yellow On the stroke of HT

excellent first ten minutes & bossed the game but the missed chances in that 1st half came back to haunt us. 2nd half we came down to their level, hardly kept possession and sat back off them.  As to that Evatt, what a horrible, horrible guy...probably aptly suited to those horrible set of supporters. 

Should have been 4 or 5 up well before they equalised. The first half we completely outclassed them and wasted so many chances. Second half we had several occasions to finish it off. Bolton had 1 chance all game and they score to get a completely undeserved point.

Decent first half and should have been more than one goal up. Non threatening second period. Bolton were shit in both, though improved a touch when their goalscorer came on. We seemed content to just soak up pressure, though bar a couple of minute spells never really came. They didn’t have a sniff all match so was disappointing to concede in the manner we did. Two points dropped for me on the balance of play though thought it would end up a draw so not overly despondent. Important now we capitalise on Tuesday,

Oh how we miss big Charlie. Magennis never got a sniff against Santos and it impacted our ability to hold the ball up. 

However the final word must be on that prick of a manager of theirs. Confronting the ref at half time, start of the second half, full time. He’s an absolute tool. The way he came sauntering toward the ref before the second half kicked off was purely to intimidate him and just smacked of a bully, of which he has form for. An arsehole of the first degree abd someone I hope yo never see near our home dugout.

Thought Bolton were piss poor 1st half and there for the taking. They improved mainly down to us letting them.

All Bolton did second half, was pass, pass , pass. Their defenders and midfielders just kept passing it to each other and made very little attempt to get near our box. We robbed possession multiple times to break forward and were the only team creating chances in the second half. Bolton had just 1 clear chance all match.

Will update later on.

2 hours ago, matty2094 said:

Go on then.

PREMATCH

(about the time change)

Who's this then?

DURING

AFTER

Will update later on.

Interesting 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

At least one or two of them admit McClean got away with it.

More than their commentators. The scouse cunt more or less admitted he should have gone but the other guy just stayed silent. 

Then said Santos should have gone in the second half. 

13 minutes ago, stevieb said:

More than their commentators. The scouse cunt more or less admitted he should have gone but the other guy just stayed silent. 

Then said Santos should have gone in the second half. 

Turned them twerps off second half why do wigan have so many scouse associates? Jewell cook newell yon mon on commentary makes me hate em even more!

A reasonable performance, I thought Naylor was immense.
Their Manager is the BIGGEST knob to have ever been in the away dugout.

They must be the biggest set of morons to ever play at the DW kicking cars on way back to the bridge so much for being kept in then attacking the police but when you think of the actions of their manager possibly no surprise

I thought Bolton played some decent stuff toward the end but as others have said only ecause we let them.

Yes we should have won, and with a bit more good luck would have done so easily.
Bolton deserved nothing from the game, contrary to what some seem to think, but got lucky with a goal that was poor from our point of view. In a derby game the important thing is not to get beaten and we looked for ¾ of the game as if we were going to win, but nothing like as bad as some on here seem to believe.

Mclean goes looking for cards ???? his card today was nothing to do with him being gobby, it was down to a cheating bolton player who conned the referee by throwing himself to the floor, something the whole team are particularly good at, Mcleans anger and words were aimed at the linesman who had the same view as we did and knew he didn't foul him.

Thing is refs confuse us fans.they are not consistent. I always thought the rule is you can’t raise your hands and that’s a red card if you do. So how did that santos stay on the pitch. Yes some might say MCLean should have been off. But they were tackles.

They came with a game plan of sucking the life out of the game and it eventually worked. We again lacked that little bit upfront that would have put the game to bed, but it's good to see us now dominating the middle of the field. 

If you go on the BEN. Web site. That idiot says they were the best team.

I don't think we were settling at 1-0 if that's what you mean? Them going to ground screaming on the slightest touch stopped our forwards getting momentum going. The guy at the back was rock solid until someone blew on him! Admittedly as the half dragged on we allowed that to affect our play and the game slowed to a stroll

Bollocks, I must have gone to the wrong stadium today given some of the angst on here.

Nevertheless the game I saw was a cracker of a local derby game with some really hard tackles, lots of confrontation between players and a ref that let the game flow.

MotM was a certain player called Tom Naylor who was supported well by an outstanding back three who looked calm and composed until the opposition "knob head" manager played his wildcard in the shape of a battering ram Icelandic forward who changed the game for them. Up until his arrival they looked devoid of ideas and their talisman January signing from Accrington,was being well martialled.

Bolton are not the worst team I've seen by any stretch but when you have your knee on their throat what's the point easing back and letting them play ? We also didn't work their keeper enough , had plenty in and around the box but little end product. It's another point though and move on to Tuesday.