Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

17 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

London Whites are still a thing. Was a member for a year, but never renewed. A different generation, but I still say hi when I see them.

There’s an alternative London Whites group, for those less likely to piss their pants*. No ticket privileges though.

* Garrp excluded

Mr Gething still involved?

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

There was someone on GMR from London Whites before the Barnsley game. So they're definitely still going.

Unless they've packed up since Tuesday like.

They are good lads. Often meet up with them for a pint on away days. Good mates with @davidjack who often lurks on here especially when attendances are being discussed, so expect plenty of lurking over the next week. 🤣

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Traf said:

Mr Gething still involved?

I should add that I joined in 2006/07 and never renewed, so not sure what has happened in the last 15 years… 😁

ps, I’m not old, honest…

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

David Jack still watching then.

Sure liked a crowd chat.

I saw him recently

One of the barnsley games

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Cheese said:

There's an interview with Sharon Brittan being aired at 9PM on BoltonFM. Recorded after the game on Tuesday night.

BoltonFM playing Waterfall in the run up to it. I know I'm talking to myself. I'm absolutely fucking obsessed with BWFC at the moment. Hoping to snap out of it in a couple of weeks. Even stuck a sign up in my home office saying "STOP THINKING ABOUT BWFC. DO SOME FUCKING WORK".

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

BoltonFM playing Waterfall in the run up to it. I know I'm talking to myself. I'm absolutely fucking obsessed with BWFC at the moment. Hoping to snap out of it in a couple of weeks. Even stuck a sign up in my home office saying "STOP THINKING ABOUT BWFC. DO SOME FUCKING WORK".

Do some work. That sign sounds awful. Should be the other way round. Stop work and think BWFC

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, tomski said:

Do some work. That sign sounds awful. Should be the other way round. Stop work and think BWFC

Just now, Zico said:

8pjsqz.jpg

I know. It's fucking daft.

2 hours ago, desperado said:

They are good lads. Often meet up with them for a pint on away days. Good mates with @davidjack who often lurks on here especially when attendances are being discussed, so expect plenty of lurking over the next week. 🤣

He's a nice fella, caught up with him at Xmas. 

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, Mantra said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cxr33wy45qqo

Sharon going in on the Premier League

Interesting read.

One comment was fair enough in that the "big" clubs certainly can't be allowed to lobby (influence) any regulator to the detriment of smaller ones, or it makes a mockery of it all.

The Brighton chap saying the clubs should sort it themselves- well you turnip, that's been ongoing but without success.

If he feels the efl clubs are effectively pushing their luck during negotiations as they know they have a back up (regulator) then have the balls to say so.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

Interesting listen. She says we need £20M a season just to compete in the Championship. Also says Evatt has turned down 3 approaches from Championship clubs who offered to treble his salary. She also basically called Ken Anderson a "semi-maniac".  😁

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

It’s worth a listen. Doesn’t sound like she’s going anywhere soon. She exaggerated a couple of things but only slightly. I’d like to know the offers IE has turned down with the wages he’s been offered

23 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

It’s worth a listen. Doesn’t sound like she’s going anywhere soon. She exaggerated a couple of things but only slightly. I’d like to know the offers IE has turned down with the wages he’s been offered

Think Blackburn was one last season, possibly Qpr one of the others.

1 minute ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Think Blackburn was one last season, possibly Qpr one of the others.

I'm going for Blackburn, Sunderland and Huddersfield 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Tremendous session. 

Her passion sometimes gets in the way of her evidence, but she's ace and doesn't pull any punches.

The Cambridge chap is more measured, but together they raise some fine points. 

The parachute payment scheme debate is something I hadn't thought about too much.

However, it is perhaps reflective of how precariously run some clubs are, that they have to have payments upon relegation to prevent them going tits up, but this is turn gives them huge competitive advantage.

Perhaps the right place is a much smaller set of payments, and/or a system of ownership that prevents such difficulties from arrising.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Interesting listen. She says we need £20M a season just to compete in the Championship. Also says Evatt has turned down 3 approaches from Championship clubs who offered to treble his salary. She also basically called Ken Anderson a "semi-maniac".  😁

Pointless going up then :D

Edited by L/H White

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Pointless going in then :D

Although she clearly wants to go up, there was more than an element of concern at the difficulties she will be faced with.

Given her general comments about wanting to do good for the game as a whole, she's perhaps the sort of person they'd need in the regulator.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Tremendous session. 

Her passion sometimes gets in the way of her evidence, but she's ace and doesn't pull any punches.

The Cambridge chap is more measured, but together they raise some fine points. 

The parachute payment scheme debate is something I hadn't thought about too much.

However, it is perhaps reflective of how precariously run some clubs are, that they have to have payments upon relegation to prevent them going tits up, but this is turn gives them huge competitive advantage.

Perhaps the right place is a much smaller set of payments, and/or a system of ownership that prevents such difficulties from arrising.

The number one fundamental issue with football finance is the lack of security around your revenue (I.e. you can get relegated from the Prem and lose 75% of your revenue from one year to the next), whereas costs (player wages) tend to be on 3+ year contracts and therefore you can’t flex your cost base in line with revenue.

Of course there are ways you can try and reduce the risk like relegation clauses in contracts but they just make you less competitive when trying to attract players, which in turn reduces your chances of staying up and therefore increases your chances of losing that revenue for the next year.

I understand the theory of parachute payments, they are there as a partial protection, essentially softening the blow whilst you try to cut your costs in line with that reduced revenue, but for those with owners that don’t give a fuck about the losses, it just means that can spend even more and make sure they get back to the prem ASAP, leaving everyone else at a huge disadvantage.

I’ve no idea what the alternative is, other than a nationwide clause that’s included in all contracts that upon relegation your wage will decrease in line with revenue, and therefore putting everyone on a level playing field when trying to attract a player. But even that would have all sorts of issues with players being poached on relegation and people finding ways around it.

In short, football finance is fucked. It has been for a long time and will continue to be until something drastic changes it.