Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

On 16/07/2023 at 08:53, paulhanley said:

That Blackburn away game - two masterful late goals by Shearer. But Bolton were absolutely all over the home ends. When Scott Green scored our equaliser it was going off in little pockets all over the show. Blackburn hadn't played us at home for 12 or 13 years and were taken aback.

Was at that game in the away end and when Greeny scored about 500 bolton fans piled forward in the bottom left of the side opposite the riverside and went nuts . That was almost like the signal, and pockets of uprising started in the River side and the Blackburn end. carnage through town after the game . All the pubs were shut by the time we got met up and got there (Im from Blackburn and all the lads are rovers fans) , the only alternative was to go into Burnley , fuck that, or an old traditional pub crawl from Brownhill thru wilpshere and back into Langho.

On 15/07/2023 at 09:47, tomski said:

Curcic was stunning that season too. Genuinely the most gutted I’ve been at a player leaving. Blake to Blackburn was up there too. 

Mad when you think we lost Mcateer and Stubbs had gone in his mind (though from memory he gave a good fist of it) 

Sadly we were out of our depth though. I never thought we’d make it back.  Let alone do 11 years on the bounce.

Nearly cried when Curcic left , most gifted footballer id ever seen until JJ & youri . City had Kinkladze we had curcic, an curcic was by far the better player .

There is a fairly recent TV interview with him where he was introduced as an ex aston Villa & Crystal Palace player and he corrected them and said he only played for Bolton Wanderers . 

Said apart from marrying the playboy model that took him for every penny his biggest regret was leaving Bolton .

Just got his head turned by ££££. 

Did cry when Frandsen left for rovers as he was the heart of everything good on the pitch and I thought we were doomed when he left.   Amazingly Claus Jensen stepped up and filled the gap like nothing had happened, which nobody saw. Then we lost him and fish to Charlton who went on to do fuck all but allowed us to bring Frandsen back . 

He wasnt the same after rover tried to ruin him , blake 7 macateer , but he came back to be the best dane we have ever had ! one f in frandsen . 

hope he gets well soon . 

37 minutes ago, Krimzon said:

Nearly cried when Curcic left , most gifted footballer id ever seen until JJ & youri . City had Kinkladze we had curcic, an curcic was by far the better player .

There is a fairly recent TV interview with him where he was introduced as an ex aston Villa & Crystal Palace player and he corrected them and said he only played for Bolton Wanderers . 

Said apart from marrying the playboy model that took him for every penny his biggest regret was leaving Bolton .

Just got his head turned by ££££. 

Did cry when Frandsen left for rovers as he was the heart of everything good on the pitch and I thought we were doomed when he left.   Amazingly Claus Jensen stepped up and filled the gap like nothing had happened, which nobody saw. Then we lost him and fish to Charlton who went on to do fuck all but allowed us to bring Frandsen back . 

He wasnt the same after rover tried to ruin him , blake 7 macateer , but he came back to be the best dane we have ever had ! one f in frandsen . 

hope he gets well soon . 

He’s ace Sasa. Basically find it hard to dislike anyone from that era. 

I remember being so underwhelmed signing Bob Taylor and what a signing he turned out to be. 

Even though he likes of Solako, Gilanza and Beardsley who didn’t quite deliver, they were still part of a team that fought all the way to the end. Was gutted at Stamford bridge on that last day but I felt like they were a team of heroes top to bottom who nearly achieved something i never felt possible.

I know Sam isn’t underrated but thinking about that only makes his achievements some what more incredible.

Always say to mancs do you remember Kinkladze and then tell em he was a poor man’s Sasa. I think this why I get on with people so well😂

Edited by tomski

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2023 at 13:36, gonzo said:

He was the club chaplain wasnt he?

Reverend mon

He did my mates Dad funeral earlier this year, had chat with him at the reception after and as you’d expect lovely fella, as an aside Micky D was was one of the funeral directors… had a beer with him at the wake.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He did my mates Dad funeral earlier this year, had chat with him at the reception after and as you’d expect lovely fella, as an aside Micky D was was one of the funeral directors… had a beer with him at the wake.

I attended another funeral yesterday, in the Premier Suite. Spoke to Phil Mason on my way in. He was pushing a shopping trolley full of crap to a skip somewhere. Glamorous job this COO thing.

On 03/08/2023 at 17:30, tomski said:

I’d go with that and I drove

20 hours ago, Ani said:

I agree and I also drove.

I agree, and I drove too. It’s a wonder any of us got parked up.

In fact we’ve got a photo on our living room wall of me, Mrs and t’lad at that game as it felt like such a momentous day, one way or another. 

• Members

I'm generally a big supporter of FV but things like:

1. Charging a minimum of £7 per person (regardless of age) for the matchday buses then scheduling them to arrive at the stadium an hour and forty five minutes before kick off

2. Requiring a paid subscription to view standard pre and post match interviews, extended highlights, etc.

3. Charging £28 for an Over 65s ticket for a routine third tier fixture

don't sit right with me

💣

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm generally a big supporter of FV but things like:

1. Charging a minimum of £7 per person (regardless of age) for the matchday buses then scheduling them to arrive at the stadium an hour and forty five minutes before kick off

2. Requiring a paid subscription to view standard pre and post match interviews, extended highlights, etc.

3. Charging £28 for an Over 65s ticket for a routine third tier fixture

don't sit right with me

💣

They've been very clever in sucking people in but are now squeezing more out of people hoping it gets swept under the carpet as 'cost of living increases'.

Won't take many bad results before folk start to moan about it.

• Moderators

Its probably pretty basic sales stuff

Drag folk in for giveaway prices then maximise the extras

But, you dont need to do any extras

I saw hart a cpl of times today...looks a right smarmy cunt up close

Then michael james came through..cool as fuck and a proper nice chap

Was gonna get a pic to go with ipswich away, but let it go

• Site Supporter

I'm always in support of FV, but....

I went on the number 5 bus from Farnworth (instead of my usual stop at Lever Edge Lane). There was only one bus on, but it didn't get any more full than last season for some reason. I got there that early that the turnstiles were still closed. Consequently maybe the queue for the  bar at FZ was as long as I've ever seen it. When I got served my £4.90  (?) pint had gone up to £5.70

Subsequent enquiries, in two pubs on my return people said that they didn't know the buses were going an hour earlier.

• Site Supporter

Don't know if they've done something to speed up the serving at the bars on the concourse, but the queue was half the size it normally is at half-time. Could be an accidental bonus of having loads of additional time, so by the time the ref blows the whistle, most people who go to the bar on 40 minutes have already been served.

53 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Don't know if they've done something to speed up the serving at the bars on the concourse, but the queue was half the size it normally is at half-time. Could be an accidental bonus of having loads of additional time, so by the time the ref blows the whistle, most people who go to the bar on 40 minutes have already been served.

Quite possibly. Also meant all the usual 88 minute types had clogged up the car parks before the even had even bloody finished. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Bigger shambles than ever, not in terms of staff, but nowt left at half time in terms of food. ESU.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Bigger shambles than ever, not in terms of staff, but nowt left at half time in terms of food. ESU.

No issues in NSL. Easiest it's been for a long time. Went down as soon as the ref blew, and was served within 2 minutes. Only bought drinks, but there was plenty of grub available.

Edited by Cheese