Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pay rises

fatty

If not too much of a personal question, what sort of pay rises are people getting at the moment to help with rising living costs ?

Spoken to a few people and one got 1.75%, another 2%, but one got 4% at beginning of year with another rise due in 6 months if company can afford it. 

5%

Unfortunately I'm not a £150k elite so it barely covers the cost of the increase in gas and leccy

I'll be back in the office full time next winter at this rate! Maybe that's what this is all about get all the work from home furlough shaggers back in the office 

Coincidence I Think Not GIF

My pensions have gone up by varying amounts.

The main one by 7.5%, state pension by 3.15% (because of the lower interest rate used to calculate the Contracted-Out Deduction), my SERPS optout by 8.5%, my smaller scheme pension by 5.0%, my L&G annuity by 10.0% and my tiny Prudential annuity is fixed so 0.0%.

7 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

The main one by 7.5%, state pension by 3.15% (because of the lower interest rate used to calculate the Contracted-Out Deduction), my SERPS optout by 8.5%, my smaller scheme pension by 5.0%, my L&G annuity by 10.0% and my tiny Prudential annuity is fixed so 0.0%.

My Miners pension gets raided every year for tax.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

How old are you now Malc if you don’t mind me asking. Sure you’ve said before but can’t remember your answer, tell me to fuck off if if you want 

Nil.

Self employed and clients seem to want better holidays than ever before, but at pre-lockdown prices.

Yeah, but it's 13p cheaper at On The Beach, then go and deal with a faceless online retailer with no customer service at all.

46 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I put my prices up last week for the first time in 7 years. Excluding contract stuff obviously.

Everyone was absolutely sound and totally understood 🙌

Bloke who has a coffee shop local was saying his paper cups had gone from 5p to 15p. Was regrettably putting his prices up hoping people didn't go somewhere else. 

I told him he's still a quid cheaper than cafe Nero. 

I'd pay local and independent traders the difference where I can. Big chains can get fucked. 

9 hours ago, stevieb said:

Bloke who has a coffee shop local was saying his paper cups had gone from 5p to 15p. Was regrettably putting his prices up hoping people didn't go somewhere else. 

I told him he's still a quid cheaper than cafe Nero. 

I'd pay local and independent traders the difference where I can. Big chains can get fucked. 

You do right mate. 

Best way to stop recession, keep spending as normal and support your local independent dude. Keeps that local independent dude spending 🙌

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, tomski said:

3.25% but had a tax code rise which has done me better since swapping my company car that kicked in.

I’ve upped my pension, illness covers and life insurances though. Result virtually flat.

Question: Do you get a certain amount of time off for sickness?

I ask because I also had an illness cover policy which would kick in when my employer stopped paying me full money and put me on SSP. That was six months. So paying for an illness cover when the life cover you have may already contain an element of Critical Illness Cover may not be the greatest value for money. 

I’m no financial expert but it saved me a shilling or two when I realised and was reimbursed when I contacted them for mis-selling.