Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

6 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I’m concerned the fans took their criticism too far in the last week without looking at the bigger picture.
Yes it happens at all clubs, and maybe players/staff need to avoid looking online.

Atmosphere was horrendous Saturday (not  unusual of course), but it was notable that I didn’t once hear a chant for Evatt. 

I get that emotions are running high after two derby losses, but the man has a 51%+ win percentage, has done an awful lot more good than bad, and he’s proven me wrong when we’ve been had the occasional bad run with every season he’s been in charge.
I’ve learnt to trust the process with him.

The more negativity drags on, not to mention towards the players too, and especially considering we actually won to nil on Saturday, the more I feel we could undo all the progress we've had in the last four years.

Some of the comments I’ve seen in Evatt’s direction on Twitter are vile. Quite personal  and I’ve no doubt he’s seen them.

We have this manager and squad up until the rest of the season regardless. Our best chance of going up is getting behind them. 

It’s no coincidence our form has taken a downturn since Baxter’s injury either. I’m not blaming Coleman, but Baxter was very solid and the team bred confidence as a result.
I feel like Coleman/defence are a bit shaky and lacking coordination, and this is flowing through the rest of the team.

A-Fuckin-Men

9 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Footballs a game of opinions, just beat Barnsley tomorrow night and we’re back on track and heading up. Lose or even draw and the malaise goes on. We just have to start beating teams like Barnsley and I know that’s not easy but we just have to find a way. I’m afraid if IE can’t do that he won’t get us back in the Championship so as much as I respect and admire the job he’s done it’s not far enough I’m afraid with the backing he’s had.

Agreed. There are some on that weirdo group on FB claiming the season is over tomorrow if we don't win. Obviously a win puts us right back in it, and the mood will change no end. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world, but a loss would make things pretty tricky. 

If we can get 4 points from the Barnsley and Derby games, then it's all back on........

Top jobs come with top money but also top pressure. 

The travelling can’t be easy but I’m led to believe he stays in the hotel 2 nights.

Anyway If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.  

• Moderators

I'm sure loads of managers do it 

Gary Megson used to drive from Sheffield to West Brom every day 

Paul Merson used to get the train from London to Middlesbrough for training!

7 hours ago, Zico said:

I'm sure loads of managers do it 

Gary Megson used to drive from Sheffield to West Brom every day 

Paul Merson used to get the train from London to Middlesbrough for training!

Exactly, and it won’t be a rigid 9-5 where he gets rush hour traffic I’m sure he can flex it and let his coaching staff help him 

There are things that Evatt does that I disagree with but I don't think there's a football fan in the world who ever 100 per cent agrees with everything the manager of their club does.

IE finds himself in the broad situation Phil Neal was in. Fans of a third tier Bolton Wanderers become impatient to get out and back to second tier respectability. It consumed Neal in the end. It was in the 91/2 season after the Tranmere play off defeat that everything went stale. I don't feel like we are anywhere near a state of affairs like that regardless of how horribly grim those two derby defeats in late Feb were. And as plenty know, defeats in those games are certainly the ones that hit me hardest.

If we don't go up this year the board will stick with IE. There's a huge amount to be said for stability. You only have to look at the decade before the pandemic at BWFC to realise that! Will anybody come in for him and would he good if it came to that? I doubt the latter. Would have to be quite some alternative opportunity.

It took Ian Greaves two near misses before finally getting us promotion in 77/8. For me IE still has a lot of credit in the bank.

9 hours ago, captainmed said:

Top jobs come with top money but also top pressure. 

The travelling can’t be easy but I’m led to believe he stays in the hotel 2 nights.

Anyway If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.  

he was there friday night

An attempt at a rallying cry/damage limitation from Evatt's latest BEN update. What a time to be moaning to the papers yesterday, huge game today and they'd better be up for it.

I still back Evatt overall but he needs to learn when to shut up. These comments make him look as soft as the team.

I think IE trips himself up a bit now and then satisfying the current insatiable desire for comments, views etc to fill online versions of the papers and provide content for all the blogs. If I were him, the thing that would make me most weary would be constantly having to think of something to say. 

Social media age causes a lot of issues, far more inflamed, polarised views (that often turn into abuse) being allowed to be chucked around willy nilly. Then those views have to be responded to as the journos have a poke about them, then we get to the stage of the  'lets all pull together' message, then if that doesn't work it's bunker mentality and cupping their ears at the crowd time. Given IE's apparent tone in that piece, Maghoma's Twitter post, it looks like we're entering bunker mentality phase. We'll see if that results in a full blooded 'we'll show the bastards' performance tonight.

Its the Kevin Keegan syndrome.

Keegan had 2 terms at Newcastle utd and was loved by the fans, he wore his heart on his sleeve and was probably too passionate at times. The pressure there was much greater than BWFC but when the shit started flying Keegan saw his arse (twice).

Would love it, Love it, to see Ian Evatt do well for us , i think it suits him and 90% of the support think he suits us so please stop acting the Kev and COYWM!

Edited by Whitestar
Spelling

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

There are things that Evatt does that I disagree with but I don't think there's a football fan in the world who ever 100 per cent agrees with everything the manager of their club does.

IE finds himself in the broad situation Phil Neal was in. Fans of a third tier Bolton Wanderers become impatient to get out and back to second tier respectability. It consumed Neal in the end. It was in the 91/2 season after the Tranmere play off defeat that everything went stale. I don't feel like we are anywhere near a state of affairs like that regardless of how horribly grim those two derby defeats in late Feb were. And as plenty know, defeats in those games are certainly the ones that hit me hardest.

If we don't go up this year the board will stick with IE. There's a huge amount to be said for stability. You only have to look at the decade before the pandemic at BWFC to realise that! Will anybody come in for him and would he good if it came to that? I doubt the latter. Would have to be quite some alternative opportunity.

It took Ian Greaves two near misses before finally getting us promotion in 77/8. For me IE still has a lot of credit in the bank.

Totally agree. We’ve had a boatload of critical player injuries, suspensions and mistaken sendings off yet can still go second with even one point tonight so despite what was written the other day I can’t believe some actually think Evatt should leave. We’re building and that takes time but even if we don’t make it this year, which I believe we will, I’d want IE to stay and try again. As you say Paul I don’t think for a minute that Sharon would force him out and I can’t see Ian leaving unless it’s for a much better offer. Surely if someone higher up sees the good in IE what would be the sense in us parting with him? Let’s just all stick together, get behind the boys and make sure this discussion is irrelevant, starting tonight at Barnsley.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Or you could say that thumb headed news nonce drops in bombs out of context to sell clicks for his biscuit funds?

The more likely explanation.

I think Evatt was the right person at the right time for the club and i think Bolton and Evatt have progressed together.

In that time Evatt has been Ruthless and driven in his football beliefs.

Just the kind of manager this club needed. Alarm bells rang for me with the home Defeats of both Wigan and Carlisle

I posted on here about him not willing to change formation and not having a plan B.

Since then we have done pretty well and us natives have gone along with the way we play. The Northampton game give a slight glint of hope that he would change the system if needs must. Alas that was just a stop gap and the few weeks have led me to the conclusion he has brought the club as far as he can go..........Yes we can get promoted then what

Our team cannot play his brand of football in the championship. We wont have 70% of the ball against teams like Norwich and Burnley etc

I dont think it is coincidence that we have a terrible record against teams that come to play against us with a high press

• Site Supporter

I think the opposite. He was correct when he said teams need to be able to play a bit when in the championship, and it's wasn't purely about physicality. 

We've seen that play out.

The team we have now won't be the same as one we would have once promoted neither- we just have to get there.

The last bit is the issue, being able to win more of these top of the table clashes to see us home. At the moment, that's the difficulty. 

If we had of come out of last weeks games with more positive results then his comment this week wouldn’t have happened. Simple.

Yes I can imagine the workload is intense but there’s much less criticism when the results are there. 

He has done very well for us and still has the backing but if he is debating going in the summer so be it. Football moves on. We nearly didn't have a club but we do. We've lost managers before and it continues.

I imagine it is tough commuting and staying away from the family but that is no different to what many people do for a lot less money. 

Hopefully he sorts it out and we progress but his inability to win the big games and change his ways of thinking when the pass to Sheehan hasn't worked for the 15th time in a row means we will probably continue spanking poor teams and losing to anyone that presses.