Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

WWR?, WWW? & What will u do Differently Next Time?

Ruba Mustafa

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Tbf, They let us leave our bags in a luggage room at our hotel and we checked in gone 10pm.

Fair do’s.

The point I was making was that all the rooms are not miraculously ready at bang on 3PM (it was 2PM but never reverted back after Covid!!!).

Most of the chains rarely deviate from the 3PM neither, when a flexible customer centric approach & quick shower after a long journey would be most welcome.

I’ve been in many a situation where I’ve been refused storage and then I’m accessing my car late at night and full of ale, which I believe is an offence.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Fair do’s.

The point I was making was that all the rooms are not miraculously ready at bang on 3PM (it was 2PM but never reverted back after Covid!!!).

Most of the chains rarely deviate from the 3PM neither, when a flexible customer centric approach & quick shower after a long journey would be most welcome.

I’ve been in many a situation where I’ve been refused storage and then I’m accessing my car late at night and full of ale, which I believe is an offence.

Pretty weak point really. You can't handle your ale, and it's all the hotel's fault?

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

This (although we did figure that out by 1.15 so not too bad)

Hoping to be able to go on the train next time and stay in central London rather than having to drive back from Watford the next day 

Watford was spot on. No issues with trains in.Or back.

Good pubs  , belting curry house

25 minutes ago, embankment said:

Watford was spot on. No issues with trains in.Or back.

Good pubs  , belting curry house

We must have missed the pubs. Only went to Market Tavern on the Saturday night (Greek place next door was great) and then Spoons on Sunday morning. Must have been 100 people queuing to get in to Walkabout on Saturday night with no better prospects either; thought I was back in 2005. 

The coach (one of the Walkden whites ones) was very well run, left at 7am at Wembley around 12, departed at 6 home for 10. Only problem we had was the fanzone saying they were full when they blatantly weren’t, basically an excuse to try and get folk in the ground. I’d probably go on the train next time, a few of the lads went to Kilburn and said that was a good crack .

Level 2 was ace. Fuck all queueing time for beers, loads of options and felt like being in an airport terminal. 

Staying over 2 nights near Wembley - enjoyed it, probably not essential 

Driving - fuck that again - trains all the way 

Don't think I could be arsed with coaches. 

Fanzone and pre match drinking ... Don't let the Mrs and kids take 8 hours getting ready and miss out on getting a pint before the ground opened! 

Train going down on Saturday at 9-15 was only five coaches and standing room only when it reached Wigan fucked that off and waited 15 mins for a train to Crewe, had another 20 mins to wait for the Euston train, got a decent seat but it was reserved from MK and stood up for the last 50 miles.

Like a few on here I think, I was in the Club Wembley level 2 near Campo's box.  Bobby Moore entrance area was smart, concourse and bars were excellent compared to the concrete shit hole I was sat in for the Stoke game.  Decent view, a sun tan and padded seats.  Would definitely go in there again but presumably will cost more for the playoffs.  

Drove over Sunday morning from my lad's in Dorking and parked at Canons Park.  10 mins on the tube to Wembley.  Was on the M1 heading north at 5.50pm.  Landed in Rugby services at 7.15pm. Pret & KFC was closed, Greggs had no stock and waited 25 minutes for BK.  Imagine it was even worse half an hour later.

26 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Level 2 was ace. Fuck all queueing time for beers, loads of options and felt like being in an airport terminal. 

Staying over 2 nights near Wembley - enjoyed it, probably not essential 

Driving - fuck that again - trains all the way 

Don't think I could be arsed with coaches. 

Fanzone and pre match drinking ... Don't let the Mrs and kids take 8 hours getting ready and miss out on getting a pint before the ground opened! 

Was chatting to will at HT, was he with you pal?

If we make the playoffs, I'll

• Clear the friday and the monday out of my diary and fuck off any work stuff, hospital appointments, etc
  • Not rely on the ticketing network that I'm in, who one day say let's have a jolly boys weekend, then decide to go with a massive extended family network instead and cause mass confusion about buying tickets together and having a weekend away
  • Make an extended weekend of it and do my own thing and drag Mrs Manc along who absolutely hates football but will drink hugely and will be be happy if I do a "That London" type weekend around it

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Was chatting to will at HT, was he with you pal?

Yeah pal. 

I was in block 225. He was 2 rows in front.

I'd gone down a few mins early as my lad needed a piss 👀 so I stayed near our entrance with the kids as everyone else went in search of drinks at half time. 

Wouldn't change much.  Drove down Friday, came back Monday morning. Went to a Lebanese cafe pre match then an Uber to the ground.

Like others I'd have gone in the ground earlier and started supping then.  I missed Kachas goal cos I was still necking a half time pint!

What I'd definitely not do, is go and see Les Miserable again. Meh!

• Site Supporter

Drove down early Sunday morning - happy with that

Got down to Greenford Premier Inn for 9.40 in time for Brekky and a few pints - happy to repeat that (although that prem inn is now twice the price we paid so just put a refundable booking on Ealing Prem Inn for the 29th May for £64 per room) similar distance 4/5 mile from Wembley)  

Got on the bus to Wembley direct - 20 min which was great but won’t repeat that because of Wembley pubs.

Walked away from 3 pubs, queued 30 mins for Fanzone - won’t repeat that although I’m glad we stuck with it as Fanzone was good once we got in.

Bus back (too long) But the Sunday carvery was cracking back at hotel. 

Next time I’ll repeat the travel and hotel combo. But Ealing Broadway is 1 change to Baker Street. So I’ll be adding that change into pre/post match proceedings.

• Site Supporter

Booked a minibus and set off at 7 with the intention of doing the Wembley pubs. Got there at 1100 and dropped off near the Torch. Saw the queues so walked to Wembley Park train station. 10 mins to West Hampstead and had a few beers there instead. Can't remember the name of the pub but decent. 10 minutes back to Wembley on train and straight in for kick off just on time. Minibus picked us by the Torch later and home by 10 30pm

One of the best days of my life, thanks to everyone I went with and everyone I met, and even everyone I didn't meet, great day for this club and going forward. I was sat with an Arsenal and Spurs fan in our group who are associated through mates family, they fucking loved it too.

By the way, club shop queues were out the doors today (2.00pm).

Ticket office that is.

Edited by Alf Hartigan

• Moderators
2 hours ago, royal white said:

The coach (one of the Walkden whites ones) was very well run, left at 7am at Wembley around 12, departed at 6 home for 10. Only problem we had was the fanzone saying they were full when they blatantly weren’t, basically an excuse to try and get folk in the ground. I’d probably go on the train next time, a few of the lads went to Kilburn and said that was a good crack .

I’d rather set off 30 mins earlier and it take 4 hours, rather than 5.

Go in to the stadium for a beer instead of yomping all round looking for a rammed out boozer that stops serving at 1. We were in the second tier and I couldn't believe how luxurious it was. No queues. Shit loads of room and comfy seating. Brilliantly organised. There's a time and place for pyro and beer fights, and that time and place is the lower tiers with the peasants.

Fuckin nightmare journey. Set off at 6.45am from Blackhorse Farnworth, got to Warwick services for just after 9. Happy days, i thought!, meet up with my mate from Canada, and a Gloucester white for a few bevvies. Not to be! Coach broke down, wouldnt go in gear, 4 hours for a replacement coach, missed the 1st two goals. Only consolation was that Bolton had scored them. 4,500 mile round trip for an hour and a quarter football. Loved it when i got in, loved the aftermatch celebrations. What would i do next time? Not got a fuckin clue!