Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton (H)

Wanderlust

25 minutes ago, Cheese said:

My name's not Eddie, but thanks for the advice. By the way, what mobile network are you on? You were posting on here throughout the match yesterday, and I don't even get enough signal to send a text message when I'm in the stadium cinema.

• Members
30 minutes ago, Zico said:

There seems to be a new stat every week about how good we are at the moment 

Rather just get promoted though as otherwise they mean nothing 

Not moaning or anything, I think we'll get promoted 

Then I'll enjoy all the other stats

Makes a change from a few years back when we seemed to be setting new records every week for how shit we were.

• Moderators
Just now, DazBob said:

Makes a change from a few years back when we seemed to be setting new records every week for how shit we were.

Aye but at least we were able to back up those stats by tumbling all the way down to 20th in league 2

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Remember when I was being paranoid about TV companies not giving us the same coverage when we win as other clubs get?

I mentioned the EFL show in an earlier post and FWIW our game got less than 20 seconds - despite us being 2 points behind the leaders with a game in hand :)

They showed Crocombe saving Vic's effort and the OG - that's it.

Surely the story of the game was about us trying to break them down so you'd expect more than that e.g.  Crocombe's other saves especially the deflected effort that he somehow got to.

I wouldn't mind but there were boring nil all draws and "average" efforts and saves in other games that got more coverage than us.

I think the ITV4 EFL show uses film from SKY and then edits it down.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/13040536/bolton-1-0-burton-league-one-highlights

The EFL show was much better when it was on Quest.  With ITV4, leagues 1 and 2 are almost treated as an afterthought.

Mind you, how bad is SSN these days? Time was, it was full of highlights and goals from across all 4 divisions. Nowadays, it's some journo or social media bod chatting away on Teams.  I made the mistake of waiting to see the Fleetwood goals the other night. They had a couple of herberts chatting about bloody fantasy football leagues for 20 minutes!

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I thought at the time he didn’t do much wrong with that chance, and I’d stick with that after watching the replay, too.

Big touch to give himself space to get around the keeper and in all fairness it was just a really good recovery save. Maybe if he’d taken a tighter touch and hit it early then it might have gone in, but by the same token it would have been a simpler save to make. 

I agree. Good keeping. I thought he may have gone a touch wide, but the shot would have gone in and the keeper did well.

I do think that if you ask any striker in that situation though, they'll feel they should score.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agree entirely, we don't have to applaud every player if we win a game.  As you say we still praise individual players when we lose or don't play well as a team, but it doesn't always follow that if we win we can talk about which players were in our opinion bad or indifferent - only good.  And its never ever black and white, its degrees of what we as fans noticed, there's loads I don't notice that others pick up on.  But chatting about it is all part of why we love the game/BWFC surely (as long as its not personal - I cringe when I hear "you absolute wanker" etc at one of our players making an honest mistake - happens every game, embarrassing).

For sure. I think the players should always be there to applaud and sing about, but also to criticise and give our opinion as supporters.

However there is a clear line when that criticism turns into abuse.

As for the atmosphere, completely understandable tbh, especially yesterday, I knew a few people around my seat who didn't even turn up because they were hungover.

In terms of our support, I can't remember it being this good ever at this level or in the Championship. Whether people turned up or not yesterday, to get 20,000 home fans with 100 away fans would've been unheard of just a few seasons ago.

1 minute ago, Lostock Whites said:

For sure. I think the players should always be there to applaud and sing about, but also to criticise and give our opinion as supporters.

However there is a clear line when that criticism turns into abuse.

As for the atmosphere, completely understandable tbh, especially yesterday, I knew a few people around my seat who didn't even turn up because they were hungover.

In terms of our support, I can't remember it being this good ever at this level or in the Championship. Whether people turned up or not yesterday, to get 20,000 home fans with 100 away fans would've been unheard of just a few seasons ago.

Absolutely, and while Evatt might have commented post match yesterday that it was all a bit flat (from everyone, not just the fans) he's commented a few times this season on how good the atmosphere has been and has lifted the players (Blackpool, Derby, Peterborough). 

Klopp had a nibble at Liverpool supporters about upping the volume the other week so by no means a thing exclusive to us. 

My stepdaughter is a City ST holder and I sometimes go along with her. They often have games like ours yesterday, where the negativity of the opponents and patient fatiguing / dismantling of them hardly makes for a rip roaring occasion. It's the nature of modern football, the ball doesn't get put into the 'POMO' (as it used to be called) as quickly or as often

My old man was drivng on his way back yesterday with Pete and his good mate Roy, been going games together since we met him in Tenerife in 1991.

Roy had a heart attack in the car just after getting on motorway. They did CPR at Bolton North services but it was in vein, pronounced dead shortly after at Hospital.

Plenty off here will have seen him with my Dad in hotel, they are in there like clockwork every home game.

Another Wanderer gone and kind of puts everything into perspective.

Another Wanderer gone.

Must have been so traumatic for Dad and Pete :(

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

My old man was drivng on his way back yesterday with Pete and his good mate Roy, been going games together since we met him in Tenerife in 1991.

Roy had a heart attack in the car just after getting on motorway. They did CPR at Bolton North services but it was in vein, pronounced dead shortly after at Hospital.

Plenty off here will have seen him with my Dad in hotel, they are in there like clockwork every home game.

Another Wanderer gone.

That's awful. RIP Roy 

Hope your dad & pete are ok pal. 

Awful for them to witness 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Another Wanderer gone.

That's awful to hear about, sad news, must have been a nightmare experience for them 😢

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Another Wanderer gone.

Awful news, thoughts with all concerned and particularly your dad and Pete

7 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

That's awful to hear about, sad news, must have been a nightmare experience for them 😢

My best wishes to your dad & Pete and obviously condolences to Roy's family. That will have been a horrible experience for them.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Another Wanderer gone.

Fucking hell. Sorry to hear that mate.

18 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Another Wanderer gone.

Jeez sorry  to hear that. Early contender for best/worst 2024/25 

28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Another Wanderer gone.

Bloody hell thats awful. Was stood with your old man and Pete as they were leaving. Pass on my regards