Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Athletic (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter

Not looking forward to it one bit.

If it wasn’t already, this is massive.

If we lose a large section of our fans will lose faith, a smaller section will speak and behave in a way that will only make the situation worse.

Evatt will probably react in a way that will antagonise the haters and the mountain will become bigger.

A win however would quickly address Saturdays woes and going 2nd would provide a much needed boost.

1-1 😊

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Spider said:

Wigan have become our kryponite in recent times.

I honestly think this game could not have come at a better time for us. If they can’t get up for this after recent humiliations, and fresh on the back of a shit day at Blackpool then they don’t deserve promotion.

I’m optimistic and have zero reason to be.

Football, eh

One of them, yes.

3 hours ago, desperado said:

Not looking forward to it one bit.

If it wasn’t already, this is massive.

If we lose a large section of our fans will lose faith, a smaller section will speak and behave in a way that will only make the situation worse.

Evatt will probably react in a way that will antagonise the haters and the mountain will become bigger.

A win however would quickly address Saturdays woes and going 2nd would provide a much needed boost.

1-1 😊

We’ll win this in a canter.

Don’t worry.

0-3.

6 minutes ago, captainmed said:

3 reasons.

We’re far better than them.

IE will have them fired up.

We always react well to a bad result.

I hope you are right but I don’t think they can be fired up for a derby these lads. 

also don’t think we are better than them. We crumble when teams press us 

5 minutes ago, Big E said:

I hope you are right but I don’t think they can be fired up for a derby these lads. 

Their XG, if it isn’t the worst in the league, its not far off. 

We’ll be fine.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Big E said:

Definitely seems like all the teams in the league have found our soft underside and will now try to exploit it with a high and aggressive press.

Hopefully class will show through but we certainly don’t get a head start because these muppets have no history.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

I've lumped on Wigan to win by more than 2 clear goals. 

If nothing else it'll soften the blow. 

Injury time winner by one goal incoming

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

the manager & the team don't have the bottle for these games

please prove me wrong

I think the manager does, probably too much, less sure about the players. As Big E said earlier, not easy to fire up players to start being and doing things that aren't in their nature. Result is likely to be more yellows and reds through ill judged, rash non-tacklers tackles. Fighting fire with fire doesn't come naturally to a fair few of our lads

I've been saying it for a long time, it's the way he makes us play that makes us brittle.

When it works it's brilliant and we blow teams away, but when it doesn't we have the same recurring themes, 

•Struggle to break teams down who sit deep,

•Prone to errors when pressed high and hard.

•Vulnerable at transition as so few at the back, which is what Blackpool's tactics clearly were.

•Key players have to be on form for our 'system' to function.

So while we are still improving as the squad evolves Evatt has plenty of credits, but I am convinced we'd be better off playing in a way that makes it easier for us to win games, this can still be possession based, but currently the same inherent issues keep cropping up.

A poor performance and loss out of the blue - 'we weren't fast enough moving the ball'

A battering to out local 'rivals' - 'Apologies to the fans!'

Yet they keep happening, so either sort it or change it so they less likely to keep occuring.

Even when we do win, Its annoying how hard we sometimes have to work to get a win against a shit team, we rarely win any at 75%, maybe teams are up for it for us, sure they are.

I just believe there are alternative ways to play that would make it simpler to win games when the planets haven't aligned as Evatt's instructed. And stop us being on the wrong end of silly results and performances that do not bely a title chasing team.

This is the third division at the end of the day, just be consistent.

Edited by JimmyRiddle