Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jussi

Farrelli

I'd rather Jussi have been at club last summer than Gartside.

Amos was the fall back remember, first choice was paying Premiership wages to Bogdan.

The fact is we were throwing money around until Eddie Davies turned the tap off.

All this is hindsight but we should have been pragmatic and cut our cost base like Wigan did.

• 1 year later...
  • Site Supporter

He started off a bit shaky and took it in turns with Banks. Struggled on crosses and got pwned by Rodney Jack but ever since that he was immense, worked on his weaknesses and went on to become a phenomenal shot stopper. Surprised no bigger club ever tried to snatch him. Well done Jussi.

He started off a bit shaky and took it in turns with Banks. Struggled on crosses and got pwned by Rodney Jack but ever since that he was immense, worked on his weaknesses and went on to become a phenomenal shot stopper. Surprised no bigger club ever tried to snatch him. Well done Jussi.

Good point that about bigger clubs not trying for him, was there ever even any interest shown that we know of?

As Gonzo said, the best keeper I’m likely to see.

A wider point, was watching Champions League classics other night, Arsenal going to Inter and smashing them 1-5 in about 2003/4 and I thought “we were going toe to toe with these back home at that time”. Jussi’s time, a genuine Wanderers legend.

Fuck me, I really don’t know why I look at the Bolton News comments section. Some guy on Jussi’s retirement article:-

Two lasting unfortunate memories. Being the first keeper to give a free kick for holding onto the ball too long after a new ruling and helping in a Gerrard shot that was going wide. Unfortunatey both incidents live on telly. Loyalty lay with Allardyce not Bolton. Turned out to be one of the seven ex Bolton players that followed Allardyce to West Ham Wanderers.

One of his lasting memories being an incident eleven years before he left us. Before qualifying for Europe twice, a league cup final, FA cup semi, and countless match-saving performances. It wasn’t “live on telly” either.

As for having his loyalty with Allardyce not us; he was with us for five more years after his departure, and only left having lost his place in a relegated side. He left to be number one, in the Premier League on presumably higher wages.

Really not sure why I wasted my effort on this prick. Must be bored.

Anyway, I wish him all the best. Legend. No doubt.

Fortunate to have been at many of the jussi key moments.

Such a shame the double penalty save wasn’t infront of the away fans.

Although it made up for it by showing Blackburn fans queueing in the corner to get out and rushing back in to see a second penalty saved.

• Site Supporter

Fortunate to have been at many of the jussi key moments.

Such a shame the double penalty save wasn’t infront of the away fans.

Although it made up for it by showing Blackburn fans queueing in the corner to get out and rushing back in to see a second penalty saved.

Still enjoyable watching the chicken botherers with their head in their hands after both saves. Poor old Mike Dean for once not the star of the show

Charlton in the cup en route to the semi. Charlton runaway league leaders I think... Eidur scored a peach, Jussi's double save- the second whilst on the floor, raising his foot to block a point blank effort, made the day for me.

De Gea was still in short trousers then, the media would rave about him doing it now

• Moderators

One of his lasting memories being an incident eleven years before he left us. Before qualifying for Europe twice, a league cup final, FA cup semi, and countless match-saving performances. It wasn’t “live on telly” either.

Aye it wasn't on tv, but the lasting memory would be he was the only keeper who was ever victim to that rule and only because shearer demanded the ref gave it, never seen it before or since

One of the best PL keepers of the noughties even if he did go to his knees far too early far too often

• Site Supporter

He won that game at Hull they absolutely battered us and Jussi made save after save think Taylor scored scruffy goal a proper away performance.A few years ago I was walking through Longsight park and stopped to watch a junior game got talking to some parents who were watching and kept noticing the young keeper standing lent forward with his hands on his knees it was an uncanny resemblance,asked the question and it was his lad.

• Site Supporter

He won that game at Hull they absolutely battered us and Jussi made save after save think Taylor scored scruffy goal a proper away performance.A few years ago I was walking through Longsight park and stopped to watch a junior game got talking to some parents who were watching and kept noticing the young keeper standing lent forward with his hands on his knees it was an uncanny resemblance,asked the question and it was his lad.