Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

But what is his role?

unless he really kicks in and shocks everyone he will just be used as a sub as Charles, vic & bod will start before him

said it before you sign someone permanently after a successful loan period he showed very little so to pay a fee on a 3 year deal is crazy imo 

I kind of feel he's meant to be some sort of second striker. Other than a really well taken goal at Bristol Rovers and some neat control/touches in one or two games like his debut at Derby, I've seen nowt. The guy wilted under the grief he was getting from home fans away at Portsmouth!

He must be another that's great on the training ground.

The no loan thing is the most confusing bit for me. We must be well favoured by the bigger teams after Trafford and Bradley’s success and I’d imagine it’s a low cost way to add options and depth to the squad (wing backs options could have done with being boosted). 

Obviously Evatt will have his reasons but there’s not an obvious one for me why we haven’t seen a Prem loan or two added in the last few days (saying that isn’t Maghoma on loan? Maybe there just wasn’t anyone else available that he fancied 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I'll miss Lee, but understand and MJ Williams but he was probably at his max.  Isgrove a sad loss but injury after injury made it inevitable. John will remain an enigma. I liked his performances but he has a history of freezing himself out at clubs. Maybe we'll find out one day.

The incoming looks decent &, player for player, an improvement on what we lost ... minus Traff & Bradley who weren't ours to begin with.

Like most others I'm eager to see wtf Dan can do to justify his 3 year contract.

Have to remember we're still building back from a brush with oblivion. We didn't get our top transfer targets because we stuck to our guns re wages and personal terms so we aren't going to overstretch ourselves financially again. The bond money is predominantly going on consolidating our infrastructure. All in all, the foundations of the club are still going in and I for one won't question the wisdom of that.

On the pitch, we have a manager who wants to deliver an attractive style of football but the obvious conundrum is that it's tricky to play like Barca/City with players drawn from non-league/lower leagues/development squad and a few modest transfers. But it looks like this season a) we're weaning ourselves off developing players for other clubs (loanees) b) we're not panic buying or overspending on "quick fixes" c) we're signing "rough diamonds" that in theory at least have the potential to deliver that style of play and d) the manager is backing himself and these players to fulfill that potential - with the help of older heads like CJ and JDB around the squad to guide them.

It's a gamble - but at least it's not gamble that will break the bank and send us spiralling downwards again. Minimum return is another huge step towards consolidation and stability. Whether it will be enough to move us up the ladder in May is yet to be seen but if this prudent approach is to "bite us in the bum" as Tomski fears, what is the worst that can happen?

We may not get promoted but we'll have developed some prospects and enhanced the value of the squad, we'll have a better ground and infrastructure and there's no way we'll get relegated so will have consolidated our position in League 1. Certainly would have taken that 3 years ago.

And you never know - it might actually get us over the line.

2 minutes ago, 1969 said:

And some fans say we haven't strengthened 

OK we lost Trafford and Bradley but they were never our players

Screenshot_20230902-085121_Samsung Internet.jpg

Of course they were our players, contracted for last year but we always knew they were going. At the same time we’ve lost Williams, Lee, Kacha, Aimson, John, Sadlier in addition to Bradley and Trafford. That’s some big holes to fill for me and on the face of it I’m not sure we have. Time will tell whether the likes of Forrester, Maghoma and Gomez will fill those holes but I don’t think so far they have and I believe we missed an opportunity yesterday to do so better. Still early days but with now a smaller squad than last season, especially with injuries to Rico, Coleman and Johnson, I thought it was essential to bring more depth in yesterday and we didn’t.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Good to see the over reactions in full swing.

We have players just coming back from injury, others playing catch up with match fitness and others being blended into the squad slowly.

Fwiw, I don't think we're anything like a fully gelled squad as yet. I can even see positional tweaks yet too as Evatt assesses best positions for players.

We'll be alright.

Spot on 👍.

Welcome to the Happy Clapper Brigade 👏🤣

20 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Of course they were our players, contracted for last year but we always knew they were going. At the same time we’ve lost Williams, Lee, Kacha, Aimson, John, Sadlier in addition to Bradley and Trafford. That’s some big holes to fill for me and on the face of it I’m not sure we have. Time will tell whether the likes of Forrester, Maghoma and Gomez will fill those holes but I don’t think so far they have and I believe we missed an opportunity yesterday to do so better. Still early days but with now a smaller squad than last season, especially with injuries to Rico, Coleman and Johnson, I thought it was essential to bring more depth in yesterday and we didn’t.

Your 1st sentence is a bit of a contradiction,they where never our players we never had a contract their parent clubs held that.If you look at the list(player for player)I think we've improved on most if not all of them

14 minutes ago, 1969 said:

Your 1st sentence is a bit of a contradiction,they where never our players we never had a contract their parent clubs held that.If you look at the list(player for player)I think we've improved on most if not all of them

Not questioning that 69 but I don’t think it’s a contradiction at all. They played for us last season so were effectively to all intents and purposes our players that’s all I’m saying. 🙂

Loan players, and how you replace them when you give them back, has to be counted in any assessment of where we are and whether we're evolving compared with how we were at the end of last season or even last Jan. It's the way any club outside Prem has to operate so it has to be factored in rather than just looking at the permanent outs and ins.

53 minutes ago, 1969 said:

And some fans say we haven't strengthened 

OK we lost Trafford and Bradley but they were never our players

Screenshot_20230902-085121_Samsung Internet.jpg

But if you are talking about the strength of the team to ignore Bradley and Trafford is nonsense. They were probably our best 2 players over the season. Big Dan was here last season too. 

On the list above 2 are keepers , so replace Trafford , CDG replaces Bradley. So we have added Forester, Ashworth, CMG and Maghoma.  We have lost GJ for the season. I like the look of Maghoma and CMG has started to show glimpses. But where does he fit in ? 

Fair to say we were unlikely to match Trafford and Bradley so we are 'behind' so to speak there. So do the others give you the confidence the think we are going to improve from a play off team scoring 62 goals to a promotion team that probably needs 80 goals ? I am struggling, I still back IE and FV 100% to do a good job in the long term but do not think this transfer window has done as much as I expected based on the idea of us 'pushing on' into the automatics.  

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

If you add Bradley and Trafford to the list we're two players down 

I'm not on about squad numbers,more about quality.Barring the 2 mentioned I think we have.We where never going to get better than them 2 in league 1,but the replacement seem descent for this level