Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Because we have been shit since the January signings 

When we're shit, we're shitter than shit.

And it's the same shit. We even haven't got a plan B shit.

If we do manage to get promoted, I can't see the owners trusting him with a big budget to keep us up. 

Watching us at the moment is unbelievably frustrating. There are times that the style works beautifully but in some matches the opposition understandably set up in a way that completely nullifies us. And we simply don’t have any sort of Plan B. The Barnsley game at the end of last season should have been a massive learning experience for Evatt but my fear is that in the exact same scenario this season, we would try to do the exact same thing. With the exact same outcome. Unfortunately it would seem that Evatt is a bit of a football snob when it comes to playing out from the back. Watching us reminds me of watching my daughter’s team where the coach insists on playing out short every single time. And once the opposition know what you’re going to do it’s very easy to stop. Same with us as we simply refuse to mix it up. I can imagine a situation where we’re taking a goal kick late in a match which we are drawing but need to win, the opposition have their entire team within 30 yards of our goal and yet rather than do the obvious thing of play over them and into the space behind, we will still play the ball short to someone already under pressure close to their own goal. All the best teams are unpredictable. And right now we are the exact opposite which makes us very easy to play against for a half decent opposition manager. 

I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading on here.. we absolutely pissed all over Wiggin and lost 1-0 without our leading goal scorer.

we’re still joint 2nd with lots of points to play for. Top teams can dominate the opposition but lose a game (it’s happened to City) and it’ll happen again. Now isn’t the time to panic..

We pull together and thump Cambridge 4-0 and we’re back on track.

Derby lost at home to Charlton, who we drew 3-3 with, so apart from Portsmouth no one is consistent which is normal at this stage of the season.

Evatt has improved this team/club year on year and I’m confident that trend will continue this season..

KEEP THE FAITH!

27 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading on here.. we absolutely pissed all over Wiggin and lost 1-0 without our leading goal scorer.

we’re still joint 2nd with lots of points to play for. Top teams can dominate the opposition but lose a game (it’s happened to City) and it’ll happen again. Now isn’t the time to panic..

We pull together and thump Cambridge 4-0 and we’re back on track.

Derby lost at home to Charlton, who we drew 3-3 with, so apart from Portsmouth no one is consistent which is normal at this stage of the season.

Evatt has improved this team/club year on year and I’m confident that trend will continue this season..

KEEP THE FAITH!

Good post, some are hysterical on here.

8 hours ago, L/H White said:

Does he still have 'credit in the bank'?

😁 I was expecting that after Blackpool to be honest. 

I'll stand by what I said. 

Does he need to improve and find a way to change things up when it isn't working? Absolutely.

But I really don't think getting rid this morning , like some want, would do us any good.

He's no closer to the door for me.

Last night was a greatest hits of bad performances under Evatt - lots of aimless possession, passing it around the back in stoppage time while losing, no ideas beyond giving it to the wing back, throwing strikers on for midfielders and hoping for the best (has this ever worked?).

Worrying that those same flaws still exist and we haven't played well in a while now. But, we're still in a good position and he'll be judged on where we are at the end of the season. 

I will, admittedly, always be quicker to sour on Evatt than most because I simply don't like the bloke. Think he's an arrogant, insufferable, bellend. 

I tolerate him for as long as he is improving and advancing our position as a club, but the longer we languish at this level the less that becomes the case. 

He will obviously get the rest of this year, but for my money we won't have enough, next season he gets until Christmas to have us as overwhelming standouts or it's curtains for me.

Whilst waiting for the game to start last night I watched a bit of the Derby game.

In a way they're not dissimilar to Wigan or several other teams in this league - physical athletic players all, but with a few talents in there.

They got mugged by a Charlton team who are also in that same vein.

Evatt's recruitment for his style of play is designed specifically for that style of play so

1. it can't be radically changed with these players

2. given that they are relatively low budget compared to the higher leagues they have flaws and inconsistencies both individually and collectively - otherwise they'd be playing at a higher level and would cost more

All of which means that in order to to overcome the teams in this league we have to do what Evatt's trying to do, only be better at it i.e. create better chances, be more ruthless in front of goal and defend better.

I also think we have to be tactically better i.e. don't risk losing possession at the back and don't bother so much if we risk losing possession up top when trying to create chances.

This high possession v low chances is nothing new. It has always been thus with Evatt, which is why I have never understood why we play in such a high risk manner for such little benefit.

It is neither edge of your seat entertaining or allows us to score loads of goals, so what is the point other than Evatt's ego.

Personally I think he needs an experienced Asst Manager who has worked at the top level and can bring some new ideas.

Does this poor run of results coincide with the new 1st team coach being appointed?

Did anyone really expect that appointment to be external and possibly challenge the Evatt consensus on the best way to win football matches??

Edited by JimmyRiddle

Evatt will never be sacked unless we have a change of ownership or he resigns which he never will we are stuck with him so let’s hope he sorts it out but I have very little confidence in that happening he’s too stubborn and arrogant for that . 

He's kind of in a no win situation (as things stand) fail to no up and he's gone but scrape up in an unconvincing way and we all know he's not good enough for the next level so he's gone.

He can still turn it around but its gonna be one hell of a transformation and like has been mentioned many times the credit he had in the bank has mostly been withdrawn.

42 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

He's kind of in a no win situation (as things stand) fail to no up and he's gone but scrape up in an unconvincing way and we all know he's not good enough for the next level so he's gone.

I don't think there is any evidence for that at all. My feeling is that he'll be here next season unless he leaves for another job.

1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

Last night was a greatest hits of bad performances under Evatt - lots of aimless possession, passing it around the back in stoppage time while losing, no ideas beyond giving it to the wing back, throwing strikers on for midfielders and hoping for the best (has this ever worked?).

Worrying that those same flaws still exist and we haven't played well in a while now. But, we're still in a good position and he'll be judged on where we are at the end of the season. 

The flaws will always exist because the players are division 3 players.

That doesn't mean they're crap, but they will be inconsistent- that's why they're playing at our level.

Completely understand Evatt saying you need more than hoofball to succeed higher up.

Just think the inconsistencies in the players make it tough to play his system well.

6 hours ago, Greg_BWFC said:

That doesn't mean they're crap, but they will be inconsistent- that's why they're playing at our level.

Completely understand Evatt saying you need more than hoofball to succeed higher up.

Just think the inconsistencies in the players make it tough to play his system well.

To some extent, maybe. But a lot of the flaws I mentioned have nothing to do with inconsistent players. It's not just poor execution, it's also poor ideas (throwing on every forward and still playing it around at the back).

I'm a fan, but Evatt has been very bullish about his qualities and where he sees himself as a manager. He's had more than enough resources to get us promoted. If he doesn't, he can't continue to hide behind this notion that he's on some crusade of trying to do it 'the right way'. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Greg_BWFC said:

And he's correct. But mixing it up occasionally from possesion in our own half to hoofball is the way forward. Literally. Unfortunately we don't have an SKD to get and distribute the ball.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

And he's correct. But mixing it up occasionally from possesion in our own half to hoofball is the way forward. Literally. Unfortunately we don't have an SKD to get and distribute the ball.

Leave the opposition not knowing which version you’re going to opt for.

If you keep doing what you’ve always done you’ll always get what you’ve always got. [paraphrasing Henry Ford or Albert Einstein]

I dont care what philosophy we are trying to practice. Theres no reason on this gods green earth we should have still been trying to pass Wigan to death with 3 minutes to play last night. Same at Barnsley last season.

Its life boxer keeping his guard up not getting hit in the last round of a fight hes losing on points.

Go down swinging for fucks sake.

I get the approach, Ill back it all day long. But fuck me 5 mins to go at Wigan. Get some balls in the bastard box.

8 hours ago, Rizlar said:

Evatt will never be sacked unless we have a change of ownership or he resigns which he never will we are stuck with him so let’s hope he sorts it out but I have very little confidence in that happening he’s too stubborn and arrogant for that . 

Not saying he should be sacked but it’s wrong to say he would never get sacked under FV . If the fans turn then he is done . FV are reliant on season ticket sales a down turn in revenue and tans voting with there feet it would be over 

Edited by Farnywhite

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I dont care what philosophy we are trying to practice. Theres no reason on this gods green earth we should have still been trying to pass Wigan to death with 3 minutes to play last night. Same at Barnsley last season.

Its life boxer keeping his guard up not getting hit in the last round of a fight hes losing on points.

I get the approach, Ill back it all day long. But fuck me 5 mins to go at Wigan. Get some balls in the bastard box.

Agreed.

We play with 3 centre halves- something different,  try wanging one forward and see what happens. They weren't exactly looking to come forward much throughout, so it may be worth a gamble. 

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Remember seeing tail end of a Utd Arsenal game when Wenger was manager. 

Losing 1-0, get a free kick on half way with literally 30 seconds left.

2 centre half's stood there passing to each other.

I'm thinking why didn't the keeper launch it into the box.

Bit random but it popped into my head reading all the posts on here 🤷‍♂️.

I like us trying to play football, but sometimes I think we need to get a bit agricultural. 

Anybody wanting him sacked is being a bit silly really. Hes clearly a talented young manager, his stats prove that. Some of our fans are begining to sound like Everton/West Ham/Newcastle fans and think for some reason we have a right to win every game. We don’t.