Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (A)

48 minutes ago, tomski said:

Wow. We didn’t score but hey ho. 7/10 is wild. He’s never scored. I genuinely think the game was done when we announced the team sheet.

I can only think, with a majority home games to come, we played for the draw from the outset.

13 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Finishing outside of the top 2 is definitely a failure this season and questions has to be asked.

HOWEVER

I think 99% of us have associated the play offs as the end of promotion hopes, and it's true to an extent, nothing is guaranteed and it's doing it the hard way.

Yet, I still have a tiny little bit of faith, that despite recent performances, we could still get to Wembley and do the job, similarly to Wednesday last season who bottled March & April, finished 3rd but got over the line.

Either way, I'm personally already over today's game. 2nd is still more than possible and if it's not to be, then let's believe that we can do it in the play offs and go for it. 

Despite being top 3 all season it's not been enjoyable personally, however, by June, I'll be thoroughly missing watching the Wanderers play and be excited for the season ahead regardless of the division we are in.

Easter Monday, Reading at home, potentially 25,000+ supporters in attendance. It's why we all do what we do, for this team. Looking forward to it. 

COYWM.

Difference to Wednesday is we've been rubbish since December. They had 2 bad months

20 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Finishing outside of the top 2 is definitely a failure this season and questions has to be asked.

HOWEVER

I think 99% of us have associated the play offs as the end of promotion hopes, and it's true to an extent, nothing is guaranteed and it's doing it the hard way.

Yet, I still have a tiny little bit of faith, that despite recent performances, we could still get to Wembley and do the job, similarly to Wednesday last season who bottled March & April, finished 3rd but got over the line.

Either way, I'm personally already over today's game. 2nd is still more than possible and if it's not to be, then let's believe that we can do it in the play offs and go for it. 

Despite being top 3 all season it's not been enjoyable personally, however, by June, I'll be thoroughly missing watching the Wanderers play and be excited for the season ahead regardless of the division we are in.

Easter Monday, Reading at home, potentially 25,000+ supporters in attendance. It's why we all do what we do, for this team. Looking forward to it. 

COYWM.

Don't have faith in this lot to win when the pressure is on. Every big game in recent years (pizza cup final aside) there's be no bottle or fight shown.

52 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Said before seeing a game out you won't get much better than Cameron Jerome but trying to score may as well play bolty or one of his walking football mates

He's not alone.  When we've "needed a goal" (ie towards end of game, chasing an equaliser or winner), the only goals I can recall have been scored by Toal and CMG (we miss him), apart from the pen incident at Barnsley.  (All away from home as well).

I don't remember any from any other strikers or midfielders, when we need a goal they don't step up do they, although Bod scored v Charlton and Tomo v Blackpool but not exactly late goals.

Its harsh to single out one player, its a team problem, and he's contributed by earning 2 important late pens, not sure anyone else can claim that.

1 hour ago, Under_Score said:

The midfield three watched it sail over their heads for the majority of the game after Santos had dawdled for a while on the ball before booting it long time and time again. 

Jerome was the man supposed to hold it up today as we know that’s not what Collins is about. He didn’t. That’s why Collins had to come deep as he was getting nothing from Jerome who was supposed to be holding it and feeding him 

The last time thing they did was boot it forward. Like literally at any point today whatsoever. Might have brought some much needed urgency if they had.  

Edited by Leyther_Matt

35 minutes ago, wakey said:

If we win all our remaining six games, we'll still have done worse second half of the season than first half.

First time that's happened under Evatt.

We knew the fixtures upto 20th Feb (Cambridge away) were a lot kinder than the rest of the season.  Our position was unsustainable with the games to come, it was never a reflection of a whole season.

9 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

The biggest problem today is that we lacked self belief. Which is worrying when you consider the position we are in. 

Funny game football, and again goes back to what I said earlier about the players mentality which I seriously worry about. We are so reactionary, actually quite predictable if you think about it.

So we bottled it against Exeter, and we look to put that right on a Tuesday night on sky and absolutely wipe the floor with Oxford. 

We then bring that same confidence against Derby and actually play well, but miss chances and get undone from a set piece. Heads drop again, confidence shattered and back to zero.

We then come into this game with low confidence and belief, control the game yes, but lack belief and lose points again.

Then again we look for a reaction at home, which I do believe we will get and the cycle is complete.

What I'm getting at in this is the mentality of the squad, it's incredibly fragile and I believe it's a big reason for our inconsistency.

Edited by Lostock Whites

Latest ‘Sunderland til I die’ popped up on Netflix recently

Good watch. Season we gubbed them 6-0

Their run in at the end of that season has echoes of us now. Snatching draws from winnable games. Won the playoffs in the end

Is where we are at

• Moderators
4 hours ago, gonzo said:

The form of Collins is more worrying than Cameron Jerome for me.

I really thought he was the golden ticket :(

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

Yeah, I genuinely don't know what he's supposed to bring. What are his strengths, I've seen nothing 

We'll find out once he's got a pre season under his belt 

“We have to do something about it. We have to make sure we play our way and hopefully some of the cavalry returns."

This is the most ret***ed thing i've ever heard a football manager say.

At this rate I'm not even sure a premier league level team would get promoted out of this league with IE's "way"

Just a massive disappointment no matter how predictable it was.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Excluding McFarland aside as I was happy with Todd.

I think Evatt is only behind Megson for dislike now.

Bit strong!!!!!

Still, the lad has his opinion and at times you gotta wonder 🤔🤔

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

Incredible what happens to some peoples' brains when we don't win a game vital for our automatic promotion chances to ensure that Derby don't go 6 points ahead of us with a better goal difference at this stage of the season...

What goes on is that they start to think we might have blown any chance of getting an automatic promotion spot  - and they also question the manager's post match response in which he actually cited George Johnston's pre-season injury as one of the reasons we didn't win today.

What he didn't bother to mention was the fact that our passing was comedic at times, their goalie could have taken the day off and our defending was tragic.

None of that means that those people don't love or support the club any less than the most ardent fan - it just means they aren't blind.

Edited by Wanderlust

21 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

What goes on is that they start to think we might have blown any chance of getting an automatic promotion spot  - and they also question the manager's post match response in which he actually cited George Johnston's pre-season injury as one of the reasons we didn't win today.

What he didn't bother to mention was the fact that our passing was comedic at times, their goalie could have taken the day off and our defending was tragic.

None of that means that those people don't love or support the club any less than the most ardent fan - it just means they aren't blind.

exactly.

2 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Funny game football, and again goes back to what I said earlier about the players mentality which I seriously worry about. We are so reactionary, actually quite predictable if you think about it.

So we bottled it against Exeter, and we look to put that right on a Tuesday night on sky and absolutely wipe the floor with Oxford. 

We then bring that same confidence against Derby and actually play well, but miss chances and get undone from a set piece. Heads drop again, confidence shattered and back to zero.

We then come into this game with low confidence and belief, control the game yes, but lack belief and lose points again.

Then again we look for a reaction at home, which I do believe we will get and the cycle is complete.

What I'm getting at in this is the mentality of the squad, it's incredibly fragile and I believe it's a big reason for our inconsistency.

I sort of agree with what you're saying and have questioned the mentality of the squad myself in the past, especially when we were doing well and then having got into a title-winning position they became cocky and complacent or when they couldn't control their frustration and started collecting unnecessary bookings and dismissals - but today was all about a lack of quality. Poor passing, no penetration, little goal threat and occasionally kamikaze at the back. 

At times, this squad shows quality at this level, but they don't have enough quality to bring it every week regardless of the circumstances and they certainly didn't bring it today when it was needed. Plus they played like individual strangers rather than a well-drilled unit. A lot of the time, they just didn't pick up on the movement of their teammates and when they did the passes lacked quality.

We've been off the boil for ages now bar the one game, so yet again we're left hoping that they'll sort it out next time.

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just a solid performer compared to JDB and Collins twatting about with his shin pads. Proper pro and defenders don’t know how to deal with him 

And yet they did deal with him, as every team does. 33 appearances and 0 goals for a centre forward playing for a promotion chasing team is properly hopeless. 

Jerome, Collins and Bod have four goals between them in 67 appearances for us this season. They are all collectively a huge problem. Jerome's only saving grace is that he didn't cost us 750k.

8 hours ago, Under_Score said:

One thing that has become ridiculously apparent over the past few weeks are the amount of fans that seem to think Evatt is bigger than the club and we should just be glad he is here. He’s above criticism in some peoples eyes. 

I agree.it is as though a different manager signed all these poor strikers and somebody else organised them defensively to ship in 4 goals to Wigan and Blackpool.

7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We've been, at best, average since Portsmouth away. To be more precise, since Dion missed that sitter.

That's quite a while now.

Said this coming back

looked so comfortable until that miss and we have laboured through since with the exception against Oxford & Carlisle

7 hours ago, tomski said:

Excluding McFarland aside as I was happy with Todd.

I think Evatt is only behind Megson for dislike now.

Freedman

Hill

Coyle at the end

To name 3.

Evatts been nothing but a success...unitll this wobble where its probably going to count most.

It's not over yet old bean.