Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

32 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Got opening game of K-League on BBC app, crowd songs being played on the loudspeakers!

It's already showing that it'll be impossible to enforce the no talking or shouting on the pitch rule.

It sounds worse than flatdick tennis.

45 minutes ago, Traf said:

Tranmere like this.

Are they guilty of the same? Fucken tramps.

I do not like that continuous crowd droning sound that's on the concourse during home games either actually, though I know its probably to encourage people to go to their seats.

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Anyone else gone completely off football?

Apart from the day out and seeing folk at the match, I can’t say I’m missing the game in general. 

I won't be rushing back watching VAR fuck prem games over on TV. 

Will watch England in euro 96 reruns and hold out for our first game on Ifollow 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Anyone else gone completely off football?

Apart from the day out and seeing folk at the match, I can’t say I’m missing the game in general. 

I probably wouldn't have got a season ticket last season had I discovered Battlenips a year ago

Can't see how I go back to the match now

I'm managing but the thing I miss is anticipating the weekend, and looking forward to what's coming up next week, next month etc.  Just existing.  Nothing to discuss that gets juices flowing.  Everything flat, no anger, no joy, no dismay, no excitement.  Great for the heart rate, it must be like this for none football fans all the time.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

I probably wouldn't have got a season ticket last season had I discovered Battlenips a year ago

Can't see how I go back to the match now

Half time battle nips on the pitch. 

First up.... Ruth. 

105, 112

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

But the match ... the match, the live match is something else. The emotions, the songs, the banter,  the passion, the anger, the fear, the adulation, the euphoria, the pride .

But even the songs are a poor imitation compared with late 70s to mid 90s. As a group, our ability to chant a short line of song repetitively are second to none. Our ability to get a song going On the terraces is pretty poor really. We manage a few old school songs in the pubs before hand but this rarely transfers to the game itself.

The change from Burnden to Reebok stopped such songs being ‘handed down’ on the terraces.

In all ways the game has changed .The pals I went with either dont go any more or worse are no longer with us .Buried my best mate last week he stopped going a while ago due to a combination of poor health & financial problems.He was a Wanderer through & through though at one time he went to every single game Partick Thistle away in the Anglo Scottish cup springs to mind.He once got off the train at Derby ( London bound) to get twenty embassy for Terry Wharton the silly sod almost missed getting back on.

The craic we used to have dissolved over a period of time .The seventies were mad  & exciting .Loads of bevying trouble around every corner it was chaos.Of course we were younger then.

I stopped going to most aways in the eighties due to marriage & kids plus finances .My mate who was single carried on .He chalked up twice the aways compared to me.Although the eighties were pretty grim we still preserved the comeraderi & could still muster a good following on the day.

The Rioch era topped the lot football & atmosphere wise for me even though I was now in my forties the buzz was electric .The move to the Reebock sort of signaled the end of all the  mayhem of the past although we were more successful there was definately something missing

The European tours were fantastic & obviously had novelty value & will live in the memory but not in the same way as the promotion winning team that chalked up one hundred goals under Colin Todd.

Sometimes I ask myself why do I still go?Few mates still attend .Is it pure loyalty ?being a lapsed Catholic might be relevant a substitute for going to church every week ? Thing is I cannot imagine not going & the rougher times get the more unlikely it is that I will quit .Enjoyment from the game is minimal at the moment but there's always the hope.

Hope is was keeps us going .This time next year Rodders we'll be promoted .Once in never out.

I find it a difficult sport to like now definitely, obviously impossible to know for sure but I dont think I'd get so obsessed with it as I did, if I was a kid now. Like many others its more about the days out, seeing mates and seeing bits of the country you never would otherwise. I used to stay up till 4am watching C5 highlights from MLS, Brazil, Japan leagues ffs, not now.

I cant claim that football doesn't mean anything to me anymore though, I dont think I've ever felt as invested as I did in L1 promotion season, that's including everything from Rioch onwards. WC2018 had me hoping and dreaming like a kid, some of the Champions League games you watch as a neutral have been truly epic. Its easy to be down about football, but when its good there's still nothing better.