Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Just seen on BBC North West News an article about Henry’s. 1980. First drive through in the U.K. North West? Remember it well. It’s now a McDonalds on Derby St.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-63049417#:~:text=In 1981 the BBC visited,by broadcasting legend Brian Redhead.

As it happens, my daughter is General Manager here. She didn’t know this. (She does now)

You’d think they’d celebrate the fact.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-63049417#:~:text=In 1981 the BBC visited,by broadcasting legend Brian Redhead.

As it happens, my daughter is General Manager here. She didn’t know this. (She does now)

You’d think they’d celebrate the fact.

Great clip! £1.99 for the lot too for the chap in the mini metro.

I remember it opening and it was still Henry's 3 years later because I remember the Geordies pulling down their advertising board at Burnden thinking it was something to do with 2 goal hero Tony Henry.

Mother Hubbards afterwards & a Chinese for a spell before it became a Maccys?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Went in one time when it was China Garden, they did a lunchtime special, can't remember if the cost but it wasn't expensive .

OMG it was one of the worst meals id ever had.

Service was bobbins too.

I remember as a kid going past it into town thinking it looked really posh and fancy, must be 35 years ago

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics, that dial a pint was still going to in the early 80s, never tried it but used to see it knocking about.

If i remember right a pint of Tetley Bitter was about 44p in 1980 so that pic of the price on the van must have been 78ish.

Although the P**s they served in the B.I.T bar around 78 was only27p

10 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Great pics, that dial a pint was still going to in the early 80s, never tried it but used to see it knocking about.

If i remember right a pint of Tetley Bitter was about 44p in 1980 so that pic of the price on the van must have been 78ish.

Although the P**s they served in the B.I.T bar around 78 was only27p

I went to BIT around that time. Never went in the bar though. Remember the last day at college before Christmas and went to the the Sweet Green  at lunch time to see my workmates and got pissed. Rather than have my pay cut ( I was on day release) went back to college knowing everyone  else wouldn’t. Got back and I was the only one who turned up. The tutor still made me do some experiment in Engineering Science though. It’s lucky I didn’t blow the place up! Didn’t lose any pay though.😊

Can't blame Bolton town centre for this but, yesterday i was in Lancaster and walked past a Greenhalghs, Now i always enjoyed a Greenhalghs Cornish pastie (the dinosaur ones) so i sent wife in and a purchase was made.

Don't even ask how much she says, apparently £2.80 ea.

Well not had in years so here goes.

SHIT. Very Very bland. 

• Site Supporter

Went for a wander around town with MrsD today and noticed a lot of the currently empty shop units, and there are a lot, have had Bolton Council signs and window stickers. The old C&A is now an annex of the Children’s Library.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Been for a wander today, feels like the centre has contracted massively, some good stuff, the cafe where Game was etc. Didn’t spend anything apart from £1.50 parking.

Is debenhams still empty?

Maybe they could get some independents in there and flatten a bit more of the TC

Dunno what they might call it