Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Them Wigan C **nts.

Burndens Bogs

No way somebody is buying them at this stage. Surely they will wait for admin and not pay debts of previous owners. Take over will take weeks and debts will keep building up. This is a smoke screen and the daft pie eating bastards can’t see it. 

31 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

How's it gone from an 8 figure sum being promised last week, to a sponsor walking out and the board quitting today, to a sale announced at half 9 on a Sunday night?!

2 of 3 directors don't resign, with the tale of woe the guy relates, when the lump of money/sale of the club is inches away.

More smoke & mirrors. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Don't think that all the big clubs don't have normal, innocent fans 

Look at the fans reactions when it came up the other season 

No one other than owners who want to make money want it

That's true. I just feel the same way about those big clubs now as I do about ASDA or TESCO. 

It's one of 3 things:

1) A delaying tactic to placate fans/efl/pass the buck - 'sorry players haven't been paid their wages again - the takeover is dragging, the new owners need to look at the books in detail, the efl need to do the Fit and Proper test... etc etc.'

2) a legitimate sale - maybe Whelan or someone like that is willing to step in to bridge the gap for now.

3) A botched sale to another dodgy lot. Seems very strange that they've gone from saying 'we're committed to this club and we're putting in an 8 figure sum', to now 'we're selling' over the course of a week. Strange that they claim they've found a buyer who is willing to 'resolve all outstanding liabilities'.

The statement simply says :

A statement from the ownership group:

A deal has been agreed in principle for the sale of Wigan Athletic Football Club to a prospective new buyer - subject to EFL approval.

The prospective new owners have committed to resolving all outstanding liabilities at the earliest opportunity.

Further updates on this process will follow in due course.

It gives absolutely nothing away, to me it seems like a 'Shut the fuck up and leave us alone for a second while we fix our mess'.

We all know from recent memory, there's usually a bidding process, a preferred bidder chosen... Any football takeover takes a long time to sort out, there's loads of lawyers and financial advisors involved. That's not just for admin, that's a standard procedure for takeovers. 

To me it smells dodgy as fuck that some white knight has suddenly shown up. Unless they've fallen into a barrel of tits again, or Whelan has decided to step in, I really think this is either (1) or (3)

Edited by Mantra

Not to mention, who in their right mind is going to buy a club that's:

got a massive wage bill in League 1,

and is starting on minus 8 points - possibly worse unless the takeover goes through VERY QUICKLY

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that they haven't got mega lucky once again but it does seem very odd, the change in tune over the course of a week. Couldn't trust them as far as you could throw them.

• Members
16 hours ago, Traf said:

I wouldn’t support anyone else.

To be honest, Bolton aside, I don’t particularly enjoy modern football.

Playacting/cheating, call it what you will, VAR and obscene wages are all conspiring to kill the game and I can’t be arsed with it.

I didn’t even watch the Cup Final and haven’t for many years.

Yep. All of these things. Seen games in 'non league' which are much more enjoyable at times. Stood on terraces with a pie and a pint too.

Another thing that has really started to make my shit itch lately is that pathetic 'Boxing Day' song. Only morons would and it seems United come out on top against City on this particular issue.

• Members
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

No way have they a hope in Hell of a fully funded, fully approved sale of the club in time to avoid yet more issues.

Even if true (& I very much doubt it is) it takes weeks to complete.

Hoping that this is pure bullshit. Want to see the fuckers die.

7 hours ago, Mantra said:

It's one of 3 things:

3) A botched sale to another dodgy lot. Seems very strange that they've gone from saying 'we're committed to this club and we're putting in an 8 figure sum', to now 'we're selling' over the course of a week. Strange that they claim they've found a buyer who is willing to 'resolve all outstanding liabilities'.

Appears it’s this one. Some Swiss mob 

agree that in usual circumstances a sale process is lengthy. Due diligence on both sides blah blah. However this lot are so keen to get rid and get away from the responsibility of paying folk they’ll sell to whoever shows a shred of interest. 

This sounds very holdsworth / sports shield.. 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Admin looks like it’s avoided. 

I'm no expert on Bury FC but during their winding up period didn't they suddenly announce a new buyer but it turned out to be stalling tactics?

I really can't see anything different here. 

Tick tock!

36 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I'm no expert on Bury FC but during their winding up period didn't they suddenly announce a new buyer but it turned out to be stalling tactics?

I really can't see anything different here. 

Tick tock!

They did.  Some random bloke from the Amazon (seriously) said he wanted to put £7m in and Ivan Lewis MP asked for the EFL to extend their deadline again.  Unsurprisingly, no bloke and no funds ever materialised.

I'd be staggered if less than 12 hours after 2 of the 3 board members stepped down due to lack of confidence, that there was a serious, viable buyer waiting in the wings, ready to complete a multi million deal in days.