Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wembley 🍕

Eddie

On 01/04/2023 at 00:25, Leyther_Matt said:

Worse still, a Cheltenham or Accy against Wolves U21s or whoever. Surely to fuck, whatever happens, they have to see sense with this tournament.

Well done to both clubs. Not even arsed if it ends up as a weird love-in, but we have precious few big occasions and we’re going to be the biggest crowd in Europe this weekend ffs. 

I got really emotional at 2-0 seeing 34k wanderers fans in full voice , the team playing beautiful pass and move football , then thinking to the dark hours when we almost went under and most  teams were thumping us 4, 5 , 6 nil in our first FV season.  

The second goal was a thing of beauty and kachunga's finish superb for the third 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In fairness to Evatt, he may have pulled off a master stroke.

I suspected Jerome would start, but he gave Kachunga a confidence boost and he repaid it.

Also good that the injured players came back and got a cameo.

Unfortunately Toal wearing a protective boot afterwards, but hopefully it won't be too bad, and Johnston back is a big bonus.

Guy could hardly walk..

How did he get up those steps???

Well that was just the most perfect day. When the second goal went in, my 13 year daughter went absolutely crazy with her best friend. I turned to find my Dad hugging my son with tears in his eyes. Anyone who chose to skip this match really missed out. It meant so much to so many people. Everywhere you looked there were families with people of all different ages. A play off final would be a very different occasion. Today was the perfect chance for Bolton fans to enjoy a day out which they will never forget

2 hours ago, desperado said:

Quote from BBC

“The 4-0 victory is the biggest-ever in the 41-year history of the competition with a crowd of 79,389 the highest anywhere in Europe this weekend.”

Been to all of the finals since 86 and that was the best. Drama wasn’t as good as Reading, the prize wasn’t as big as Preston.

But put into context against what we’ve faced in the last 13 years of decline, I’m actually quite emotional about the whole day. Being there with the whole family, 3 generations with my 83 year old dad. And for that young side and manager to perform and dominate like they did was immensely pleasurable. 

They’re young and growing, so I’m wise and experienced enough to know that’s not going to happen every week. 

What a platform to put in place for the run-in. But do you know what. Im not going to get too upset if it doesn’t happen this season. It will come soon enough.

Thanks players, thanks Ian and thanks Sharon, I had a feeling we had, but now I know we’ve got our club back and we are going places 😅

This 👏🏻👏🏻

Best day as a Wanderer in at least 20 years and possibly in my lifetime.  Seeing friends and family, celebrating with strangers and ultimately just being part of a huge army of Bolton devotees was something else.  Feckin beautiful weekend. Love you all x

Watching Sharon Britton hugging all the players, Evatt & the coaching staff was utterly fantastic. Of course being happy when you win is straightforward but we know her heart win, lose or draw.

It'd be lovely if she was a £squillionaire, but she'll do for me whatever. An absolute breath of fresh-air. Thank you Mrs. B.

12 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Best day as a Wanderer in at least 20 years and possibly in my lifetime.  Seeing friends and family, celebrating with strangers and ultimately just being part of a huge army of Bolton devotees was something else.  Feckin beautiful weekend. Love you all x

This x 10.

I’ve been lucky enough to experience many of the great occasions in this clubs ups and downs during the last 50 years. From playing Coventry at home with a team of kids with shirts bought from Sports Direct to winning at Wembley in front of 79,000 is something we will all remember for a very long time. 

1 hour ago, wiggy said:

Well that was just the most perfect day. When the second goal went in, my 13 year daughter went absolutely crazy with her best friend. I turned to find my Dad hugging my son with tears in his eyes. Anyone who chose to skip this match really missed out. It meant so much to so many people. Everywhere you looked there were families with people of all different ages. A play off final would be a very different occasion. Today was the perfect chance for Bolton fans to enjoy a day out which they will never forget

Yep, really fantastic day when everything went to plan. Only sour note was the challenges on Sheehan and Toal.

From a footballing point of view I struggled to pick a player of the match. Superb performances all over the pitch. Can’t think of anyone who didn’t have a great match. Trafford didn’t have much to do but his brilliant near post save at 2-0 saved us from a far less relaxed second half. 

Probably the best day I've ever experienced watching the Wanderers.

Forest in 2018, Peterborough promotion in 2017, Atletico Madrid all great moments.

But today was super special, the whole day out, seeing so many friends from Bolton, being with my family and 35,000 other Wanderers fans, the flags the dominating display, 4-0, the Bolton flags all on the motorways and to top it off, see us lift a trophy...

What a day and what a club. 

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

I think Trafford & Bradley enjoyed it :D

Just catching up on the thread after getting back to hotel, so apologies if it's been mentioned further on, but the vid I've just seen of them pair screaming "white army" had me absolutely beaming with pride. Your not supposed to fall in love with loan players, but by christ I'm head over heels for them two.

Great day, they don't come much better as a football fan. Love our club, love our team and love all you lot that was there to share it. Even the early start victims that looked like they wouldn't have known their own names by 2 o'clock. 😂

Edited by boogs
Spelling. I'm pissed 😁