Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fa Cup

Con

I was watching BBC highlights, and commentator said it was the first time that Spennymoor Town had reached the First Round Proper.

Didn't sound right, so I looked them up, and it was a merger/takeover of Evenwood Town and Spennymoor United, both of whom had previously done so.

In fact Spennymoor United got to the third round in 1937. Frank Skinner's dad was a fan, went to a dance after a 7-1 thrashing from WBA, met his future wife, found work was readily available so got a job on the Monday. He returned home after 3 weeks for the rest of his clothes.

Football didn't exist before 1992

Much different circumstances now but didnt they outnumber us at least 2:1 in the 3rd round game during the Bayern/Atletico season?

I see a draw here, Tuesday night replay on Sheffield student night, beaten in extra time.

I have a recollection of 16k on. Dzemali had his one run out as well

I have a recollection of 16k on. Dzemali had his one run out as well

BBC archive confirms this. I remember thinking what a shocking attendance, now I'd consider that a bumper crowd!

I'm sure I saw a photo of you on fb lying on the floor leathered in Hamburg this weekend by the way... good do?!

From Bbc sport

Former winners Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield United will meet in the second round of the FA Cup.

The League One rivals - who have both won the cup four times - will meet at Bolton's Macron Stadium when round-two ties take place from 2-4 December

Is it just me that thinks its a good draw. On Saturday we had the biggest crowd of the first round. This tie more or less guarantees us the biggest crowd of the second round. Were at home, we've beat them once, we can beat them again and we need the money.

Happy with the draw as it's home fixture rather have opponents with large following than someone who bring 500 away fans and 4000 home fans. At least there will be 10k plus on.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

they're bang on form too, we'll need a strong team out.

prob just lower tiers again, but add a couple of thousand Bolton, unless it's TV, then similar crowd to Grimsby.

think it was so quiet against Grimsby as they had sold all the crazy corner tickets to folk who don't usually sit there, need to sort that out.

Not a great draw for me, would sooner us have had some minnows we could get by easy enough without a full strength team while we're a bit thin on the ground. Not guaranteed I know, but that and easy passage to chance of a TV payday at home or a good away trip to a big venue would have been my preference.

Plus side is likelihood of a decent enough crowd to make it financially bearable, a full throttle game and a decent atmosphere, provided enough of ours bother and haven't got laryngitis

Or, we continue with forward momentum and have a decent run in the cup, use it as opportunity to give a few 'fringe' players some game time and really get some positivity out of the season. The last few seasons have conditioned us to expecting worse case scenario all the time but it doesn't have to be like that.

BBC archive confirms this. I remember thinking what a shocking attendance, now I'd consider that a bumper crowd!

I'm sure I saw a photo of you on fb lying on the floor leathered in Hamburg this weekend by the way... good do?!

Haha yes mate, was a cracker. Really love the way its setup out there. We have a lot to learn imo