Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

25 minutes ago, DazBob said:

No chance, if we do sign him, that we're signing him for the B team.

He played as a trialist for the B team yesterday, would have thought if he was coming for the first team he would have played in the behind closed doors against Bratford 

Must have been tricky for the lad getting so much attention and a costly transfer at 16 based on one performance. Despite his popularity and transfer value plummeting once reality set in he still seems to have retained a fantastic attitude if his interview on arriving at Ipswich is anything to go by. I'm amazed his head isn't f****d. He clearly has potential and maybe with the right guidance he'll fulfill it but going off what fans at the clubs he's been at say, he's a way to go yet.

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Or Premiership clubs have money to burn.

He may be worth a punt, but we've had failed youngsters before ... some are diamonds, some are coal.

I'm all for the riches of the Prem occasionally filtering down to lower leagues and that fee may have saved Rochdale but its also the fact that relatively small clubs like Wolves can chuck £1mil at a player as a gamble with little pressure to make it work, simply because a fortune to the rest of us is small change to them.  

Its hard to believe Matheson's career would have stalled as much if he'd continued in L1 and L2 with Rochdale, admittedly no way of knowing.

He did continue with Rochdale JR because Wolves loaned him back for the season but then injuries intervened and after that he just seemed to have bad luck after bad luck with managers being exchanged. I think he’s deffo worth a trial which appears to be what Evatt’s offered so probably initially in the B Team with a possibility to move into a contract and the first team squad in January if he’s proved himself. 

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm all for the riches of the Prem occasionally filtering down to lower leagues and that fee may have saved Rochdale but its also the fact that relatively small clubs like Wolves can chuck £1mil at a player as a gamble with little pressure to make it work, simply because a fortune to the rest of us is small change to them.  

Its hard to believe Matheson's career would have stalled as much if he'd continued in L1 and L2 with Rochdale, admittedly no way of knowing.

Small club like Wolves?

Get real. They've had top dollar for years that we haven't and average over 30k attendance. And they have a better record than us historically.

Since our demise there's a new reality and the sooner Wanderers fans accept it, the sooner they'll realise the difficulty of the task in hand.

No club has a divine right to sit at the top table. Even us. We have to work for it but we seem to be on the right path and we need to be grateful for that.

But all this Billy Big Bollocks crowing will get us nowhere. Tell me about it when we finally get somewhere.

Edited by Wanderlust

3 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Small club like Wolves?

Get real. They've had top dollar for years that we haven't and average over 30k attendance. And they have a better record than us historically.

Since our demise there's a new reality and the sooner Wanderers fans accept it, the sooner they'll realise the difficulty of the task in hand.

No club has a divine right to sit at the top table. Even us. We have to work for it but we seem to be on the right path and we need to be grateful for that.

But all this Billy Big Bollocks crowing will get us nowhere. Tell me about it when we finally get somewhere.

Am pretty sure jonnyrotten meant 'small club' in relation to premier league clubs and they ain't on a level of a citeh,arsenal,liverpool etc.    

However you are right about some of our lot thinking we are big bollocks, some will never get it into their head that we are in league 1 and not premier league bolton.  I think more of this thinking has crept back in this summer when seeing the comments about possible targets and signings ,  now I like a lot of folk am a big mr evatt fan but as soon as he said we have money to spend this summer then some of our lot are expecting Declan rice (example) to be a target.    He must wish he never said nowt.

Imagine if, one day, we'd played, say, Oldham in a nonentity pre-season match & found their centre-forward a handful as he scored a hat-trick so went in & signed him. Just like that. Coz we had the cash.

Imagine he then played a total of 4 league games for us and we loaned him out 6 times.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Imagine if, one day, we'd played, say, Oldham in a nonentity pre-season match & found their centre-forward a handful as he scored a hat-trick so went in & signed him. Just like that. Coz we had the cash.

Imagine he then played a total of 4 league games for us and we loaned him out 6 times.

Or some promising kid from Millwall who we pay 10 grand a week and get him loaned out all over the place but nowhere good enough for our own team.

34 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We need one we can rely on, for sure

Is he a left back or a left sided CB who could replace Johnston whilst he's out - never heard of him tbf

Edited by Wiso

32 minutes ago, Wiso said:

Is he a left back or a left sided CB who could replace Johnston whilst he's out - never heard of him tbf

I've never heard of him either, 6'0" Left Back he's listed as, so cover for that LCB position in our system you'd have thought.