Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

I don't mind Thomason and would be sorry to see him go. I think he offers something different from midfield when we need to move the ball more quickly (and forwards). 

Seems to have a great attitude and improving year on year. 

Not the finished article by any means but who is. I's be less concerned if Sheehan left tbh.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't mind Thomason and would be sorry to see him go. I think he offers something different from midfield when we need to move the ball more quickly (and forwards). 

Seems to have a great attitude and improving year on year. 

Not the finished article by any means but who is. I's be less concerned if Sheehan left tbh.

Same here. He's only 22, and I honestly believe he has the potential to play a massive part in our resurgence, even if that's just from the passion and effort he puts in. That pass he played to Dempsey in the build up to our 3rd goal last week was absolutely top notch. Would be very disappointed to see him leave at this stage.

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Same here. He's only 22, but I honestly believe he has the potential to play a massive part in our resurgence, even if that's just from the passion and effort he puts in. That pass he played to Dempsey in the build up to our 3rd goal last week was absolutely top notch. Would be very disappointed to see him leave at this stage.

I put my tin hat on every time I put something pro Thomason on Twitter, still of same view as yourself about him though, he has a lot about him, has strengthened and improved a lot over recent months and has a role to play for us. 

He takes more responsibility on the pitch than most of our others, is prepared to have the ball in tight areas and be brave about what he does with it. I'd much sooner have a lad try what he did with that first time pass, even if it didn't always come off, than take the low risk option and go back to back three or keeper. 

I like him, he's a cracking professional and there will be games and opponents where he'd be a better option at base of midfield than Sheehan or Morley. But, if there's a deal to be done that works for the club and him, good luck to the lad, I hope it works out for him.

• Site Supporter

I reckon we've reached a point where we don't need to be offloading anyone. This squad is more than capable, well-balanced, a good mix of potential and experience, back ups in every position, and there's no Big Time Charlie's rocking the boat as far as I know. Wouldn't mind if we brought a couple more faces in of course, but more than happy to stick with what we've got. Having said that - money talks, but I trust Evatt and FV know perfectly well what they're doing.

Edited by Cheese

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I reckon we've reached a point where we don't need to be offloading anyone. This squad is more than capable, well-balanced, a good mix of potential and experience, back ups in every position, and there's no Big Time Charlie's rocking the boat as far as I know. Wouldn't mind if we brought a couple more faces in of course, but more than happy to stick with what we've got. Having said that - money talks, but I trust Evatt and FV know perfectly well what they're doing.

Yep. Go with that. Only outs now I’d want guaranteed better replacements that we’ve orchestrated.

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

There are not many clubs o the country that would not sell a player for a big enough offer. We will have a value in mind for GT at which we will sell. If Bristol match/better that he will go. 
I have always been a fan of GT but others were saying he could go out on loan this season. 
As it always will be the test will be if we will sell how we then use the money. It is a sign of the process under Evatt and FV  that we are talking about a 7 figure bid for a player who is not guaranteed a start. Whatever the outcome it shows that backing Evatt and FV is the right thing to do, despite the army of experts we have on Twitter. 

9 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Once we've got a fit Toal and Bod back we'll be set.

Perhaps a Liverpool/City kid in on loan as Evatt & Markham seem to be on their good side.

I'd still like to see another RWB, I like JDC a lot but risky the amount of minutes he's going to be asked to play if we don't add some depth.

9 minutes ago, meanderson93 said:

I'd still like to see another RWB, I like JDC a lot but risky the amount of minutes he's going to be asked to play if we don't add some depth.

Reckon Matherson could get a chance in pizza cup, be a good chance to see if he’s ready to challenge for first team.

4 hours ago, bwfc87 said:

Reckon Matherson could get a chance in pizza cup, be a good chance to see if he’s ready to challenge for first team.

Yes I’m pretty sure that’s the idea with him so let’s hope it comes off but when Toal returns we’ll have Jones, Forrester and if he’s still here Sadlier who could fill the RWB position to rest Cogley so I wouldn’t say it’s an essential position to fill. If we do bring another in it means another less position on the bench and I can already see keeping everyone happy and fit becoming a problem. I’d stick with what we have for now and look to review again in January.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Horwich said:

Agree with most of that. I focus on him when he plays and I am not sure he looks for the ball.

He may have more of an opportunity now MJ has left.

Me too. I think he could get more involved sometimes. Maybe MJ going will give him more of a chance to show us what he can do.

28 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thomasson has improved more than anyone in the squad in the last 12 months and he has looked superb pre-season, saying that if we got a decent fee (has to be 500k plus) and with the cover we have available I would take the money.  

Agree re the improvement & he’s a real leader on the pitch for such a young lad.

It dont think we will let him go for less than £500K, but I would be disappointed if he goes for that.

45 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thomasson has improved more than anyone in the squad in the last 12 months and he has looked superb pre-season, saying that if we got a decent fee (has to be 500k plus) and with the cover we have available I would take the money.  

I’m just being picky here and take your point on Tomo, big improvement. But being the “most improved” since last August is a small field to pick from, the only others still here that have made an appearance so far are Charles, Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Iredale, Santos, Jones.  Fair to say Tomo has improved more than those but arguably started from a lower base.

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We still need a wing-back on each side for me

We only have Randell on the left really, and Dacres-Cogley has started well but to all intents and purposes was brought in to be second choice

Wing-back is a pivotal position in our system and we currently only have two

Cogley, Williams, John, Forester, and thats if you dont count Jones, Conway can also play that position.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper