Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Funny one with Tommo who is no doubt a lovely lad with a great attitude.

On the other hand he doesn’t win many tackles, he doesn’t create much, he doesn’t score many and he isn’t that good in the air.

Basically he isn’t essential to our team and if the bids get up towards £2m maybe we should wave him off.

Tommo is replaceable.

8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

On the other hand he doesn’t win many tackles, he doesn’t create much, he doesn’t score many and he isn’t that good in the air.

Basically he isn’t essential to our team and if the bids get up towards £2m maybe we should wave him off.

Tommo is replaceable.

The bid won’t get close to £2m

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Tommo is replaceable.

Everyone has a price and is replaceable. Time is the limiting factor in that regard. 

As for tackling, GT does over-reach at times, maybe trying too hard, but he still is more robust than others within our squad.

Doesn't create much- be interesting to see a more in depth analysis and more games as to how that pans out.

We let MJ go, and GT is a natural replacement- I wonder how many goals MJ created, and he clearly didn't score many (maybe 1). I wouldn't say that that defined him as a player.

I'd also say that if a player makes a good pass to a colleague, but nothing materialises, then that's not the fault of the bloke that made the initial pass. 

Ultimately, we can keep going round in circles; the proof will come when we play Derby, Wigan, Barnsley etc. Last season these types of teams nullified Sheehan and Morley (to a lesser extent) and I wouldn't be surprised to see changes in personnel for those games.

12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Rob Atkinson, Mark Sykes, George Tanner; they also signed Anis Mehmeti last January

You might not rate Joe Williams but he's a regular at the league above ours (when not injured) and I think it's probably a bit harsh to make any judgement on Wilson given how quickly and seriously he got injured

They've just signed Jason Knight, who I think will be a good'un, and have had two of their own Academy graduates sign for Premier League clubs for eight-figure fees as well as having a couple more of their own Academy-produced youngsters playing in their first-team so they have an idea of what's required of a young player in the second tier

Fair enough, good reply, you've got more knowledge of their players than I have. I've nothing against Joe Williams, he was OK, but another I would never put in the £1mil bracket, admittedly I've not seen him play a full game for years. Its surprising to see some of our average ex players getting regular games in the championship, maybe we over estimate the standard sometimes.

17 hours ago, Cheese said:

If Bristol buy him, he's worth whatever they pay. Simple as that. There is literally no other way you can value a player. We've sold players for more and less than we "think" they're worth, but their value is determined by the transaction.

Don’t players get valued by the club for the accounts?

13 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

They got £25m for their player so we should be asking for much more than £1m for a 22 year old

One deal has nothing to do with the other. It makes no difference what they got for their player. 

They'll pay what they think he's worth, as most seem to agree, if that's c£1M, then we should be snapping their hands off

32 minutes ago, Sweep said:

One deal has nothing to do with the other. It makes no difference what they got for their player. 

They'll pay what they think he's worth, as most seem to agree, if that's c£1M, then we should be snapping their hands off

Disagree. We should be bending their hand on the basis we know they have considerable income. Other clubs can do it so it can be done.

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair enough, good reply, you've got more knowledge of their players than I have. I've nothing against Joe Williams, he was OK, but another I would never put in the £1mil bracket, admittedly I've not seen him play a full game for years. Its surprising to see some of our average ex players getting regular games in the championship, maybe we over estimate the standard sometimes.

He's an average Chammpionship midfielder, which is about what £1M gets you nowadays

• Members
45 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Newcastle would never have got £35m for Andy Carroll from Liverpool if they just hadn't sold Torres

• Members
6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think so, as they're classed as intangible assets.

That's what Derby tried on 

Buy a player for £10m say on a five year contract

So each year his value depreciates by £2m to the point when the contract runs out he's worth nothing 

They tried to put their own value on players to justify their spending 

12 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think so, as they're classed as intangible assets.

Their registrations are on the balance sheet as Intangible assets. 

Tha balance sheet values are likely to be at purchase price with the value depreciating over the length of the contract. 

The club will have a separate valuation for insurance purposes or as a starting point for negotiations for sale - which Evatt was referring to this week. It won't be the same number as the balance sheet valuation. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

6 hours ago, tomski said:

The bid won’t get close to £2m

Some loon on FB earlier was saying as they've just got £25M then we shouldn't be accepting anything less than £4M-£5M, because we know they want him, and we know they have the money 😁

Would be a shame to see Thomason go, as I think he could have a breakthrough season but I think for the fee being quoted, it would be hard to turn down. If it's 200k, up front then the 800k in bonuses then maybe not, considering the fee they've just received. I'd be wanting as much as possible up front. If it's 500k up front and the rest in instalments, I'd definitely take that.

As Barry says, Thomason is not integral to the squad. Although I do think he's a very useful player to have.

It would leave us with Dempsey, Morley, Maghoma, Sheehan to play the 2 deeper midfield roles, which is plenty. But Dempsey also plays the more advanced #10 role.

So, no Thomason may mean more chance for Mendes Gomes to play the #10 role if Dempsey has to be deployed in the deeper role more often.

I think George will need replacing , he does offer something different than the others in that he’s leftsided & is a grafter . Some games he is ideal for , others not .

An experienced upgrade would be ideal hopefully someone to add some bite when required .Easier said than done given Thomason’s improvement Year on year.

Mendes Gomez doesn’t need the ball anywhere near our penalty area , his tendency (so far) to give it away cheaply will need to improve although I don’t think he’s match fit yet.

• Site Supporter

Reading the BN report- and the comments from Evatt, I'm seeing it as the manager reckoning it's an acceptable offer from his point of view. That said, because of the way he has developed and been given a longer contract, I reckon Evatt would be happy for him to stay if he wanted to.

18 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

I think George will need replacing , he does offer something different than the others in that he’s leftsided & is a grafter . Some games he is ideal for , others not .

An experienced upgrade would be ideal hopefully someone to add some bite when required .Easier said than done given Thomason’s improvement Year on year.

Mendes Gomez doesn’t need the ball anywhere near our penalty area , his tendency (so far) to give it away cheaply will need to improve although I don’t think he’s match fit yet.

Agree about replacing him, he gives us something different and has a great football brain. He definitely has a role to play, even if it’s coming on for the last 20/25 minutes to conserve a lead.