Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H)

Steejay

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It worked for the full time that we had the right players last year, I.e. from January, and we’re 7th in the league this year, so my comment of “half” this year is probably a bit harsh.

Would you change the system and change how we play? Genuinely interested by the way, I just think it causes too many issues.

We have to go one up top, I’m not sure who plays right wing, who plays right back (is Carty a full back or does Jones go back there and lose some attacking emphasis), can we still play out from the back and dominate possession as well with only 2 centre backs - if not, do we go more long ball, which would be to a lone striker of Charles?

I’m not saying it’s perfect now, clearly, but I don’t think switching shape is the perfect solution. And if you’re suggesting something more extreme (like a switch in Manager) then I think you’re mad!

I'm not arguing for a change in formation (or against either) but I think it's worth pointing out that Evatt's twice changed our fortunes mid-season by changing our shape - the switch to a back four in his first season and the reversion to a back three last season.

Both were the right calls for the personnel we had available to us and I can't help thinking we might now be in a similar position.

(I know it's not quite a simple of simply switching formations - we also signed better players - but it's a big factor.

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And if you’re suggesting something more extreme (like a switch in Manager) then I think you’re mad!

Nah was just a tongue in cheek reply because of the way the first sentence read.

I do think we made it easy for them today, as we have for other teams, and I do have some other concerns like for example how slowly we move the ball against teams who play like Barnsley did and how many times we move forwards from the middle and every single forward player has their back to goal but I'm too tired for that tonight.

Had a nice chat with Peter Nicholson after the game, what a top fella, best goal he scored Sheff U away, I was lucky enough to be there, also didn’t realise he replaced Jimmy Armfield at blackpool.. what a player to replace, Didnt know he’d had a stroke 4 years ago short term memory terrible but remembered everything for 30 plus years ago. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

50 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

At least we got to see that Luca Connell is no Messiah, game passed him by for the majority, a lot of hand waving and flapping, a few nice touches and passes from the left peg but nowt spectacular. Filled out a bit! 

Agreed.  He seems to have an odd aggressive attitude, as you say a couple of cracking passes but overall he wouldn't replace one of our many midfield options.  Getting £350k was a result so he did us a favour, move on.

£250k for Regan Riley too, yet to play a senior game for anyone since he left.  

31 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed.  He seems to have an odd aggressive attitude, as you say a couple of cracking passes but overall he wouldn't replace one of our many midfield options.  Getting £350k was a result so he did us a favour, move on.

£250k for Regan Riley too, yet to play a senior game for anyone since he left.  

Connell had an argument with evatt end of game , big of shoulder pushing.      Looked like a reyt cunt

Connell's big day out, tried to prove a point and failed largely. Came across as a dirty shithouse rather than a decent player.

I agree that we need to end the MJ/GT combo unless you sacrifice one of the back 5.

We haven't played particularly well these last three games, but we'd enough chances to win at FGR and again today. The team is crying out for some creativity and whilst I accept the "players getting better by not playing" mantra, surely the likes of Sheehan and Sadlier are due some game time in their 'correct' position.

Last little thing is that we've no height and/or physicality up top, most teams have 2 big cunts at the back and we still play the high ball to our strikers.

I'm not too sure about the need for Williams, certainly against a team set-up like Barnsley with the 'low-block'. 

MJ offers nothing attacking wise creatively. All our midfielders should be able to provide the defensive cover that was needed today, some better than others granted, but all the others offer more in the attacking third than MJ.

For me, you can see why Blackpool weren't playing him when trying to get out of this div. I would give Morley a run of games there personally.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Had a nice chat with Peter Nicholson after the game, what a top fella, best goal he scored Sheff U away, I was lucky enough to be there, also didn’t realise he replaced Jimmy Armfield at blackpool.. what a player to replace, Didnt know he’d had a stroke 4 years ago short term memory terrible but remembered everything for 30 plus years ago. 

If there was TV coverage like these days that goal would be shown on many a BWFC highlight reel.... an absolute screamer. 

9 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm not too sure about the need for Williams, certainly against a team set-up like Barnsley with the 'low-block'. 

MJ offers nothing attacking wise creatively. All our midfielders should be able to provide the defensive cover that was needed today, some better than others granted, but all the others offer more in the attacking third than MJ.

For me, you can see why Blackpool weren't playing him when trying to get out of this div. I would give Morley a run of games there personally.

Williams was our best player yesterday. Tactically brilliant.

Best defence in the league and 3rd worst goal scorers tells you everything about how we operate 

we’re great for 2/3’s of the pitch but it all breaks down 25 yards away from the opposition goal

yes we created a few chances at FGR but you’d expect that cos defensively they’re woeful. But overall we create nowhere near enough. It’s ok Evatt coming out saying he expects the strikers to start firing but off what ammunition? 

Exaclty. We play the wrong system for an off the shoulder striker.

Its like Leicester back in the day playing a ponderous possession based system expecting Jamie Vardy to have the same impact.

Charles needs to be in through the channels,over the top etc. Not surviving on bobbles and wank crosses.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Its like Leicester back in the day playing a ponderous possession based system expecting Jamie Vardy to have the same impact.

Charles needs to be in through the channels,over the top etc. Not surviving on bobbles and wank crosses.

Counted 5 opportunities alone yesterday where Charles was on the shoulder and pointing where he wanted the ball played. The ball eventually ended up with the wing backs before they went back to Santos who determined the pace of our play was too quick and slowed it down.. 

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

That sounds about right. It feels like we signed him because his contract situation meant he was ripe to be picked off last January rather than him suiting our system. To be fair he did OK last season but he's often looked like a square peg in a round hole this year.

Interesting comments regarding our current form and some expectations. All valid to be fair. My take on the season so far is that we are actually in a strong position in 6th, and if we stay in and around here by Christmas, I'm hoping for another strong finish in the New Year. Something just isn't clicking at the moment, but it is fine lines, and Evatt can sort it out. I've noted teams recently have tried to strongarm us, which has been our weakness, but we are standing up to it a bit more

Nothing is guaranteed obviously, however, Evatt has proven in the past, that he does have a second half of the season surge.

On to the next match, which is definitely winnable