Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (A)

burnden

Frustrating and nervy win, appalling performance with the ball, 1 shot the goal and 1 shot from Dempsey that went over, the rest of the game was us losing possession, giving away fouls and us defending.

Ball retention was very bad, being so deep with only 1 or 2 upfront left us just hitting balls deep to get rid which if it didn't go to their cb's or gk it was held up by our st's but with no support, so we lost it again.

50/50 on whether Trafford should have been sent off, first half we gave so many fouls away near the edge of box.

Anyway that's just how I saw the game, of course the result it massive and all that matters and other results have gone brilliantly for us, that's doesn't mean people can't give their opinion on the performance without others saying you're being negative.

1 minute ago, Didledee said:

Frustrating and nervy win, appalling performance with the ball, 1 shot the goal and 1 shot from Dempsey that went over, the rest of the game was us losing possession, giving away fouls and us defending.

Ball retention was very bad, being so deep with only 1 or 2 upfront left us just hitting balls deep to get rid which if it didn't go to their cb's or gk it was held up by our st's but with no support, so we lost it again.

50/50 on whether Trafford should have been sent off, first half we gave so many fouls away near the edge of box.

Anyway that's just how I saw the game, of course the result it massive and all that matters and other results have gone brilliantly for us, that's doesn't mean people can't give their opinion on the performance without others saying you're being negative.

You know you are not allowed to have a say, and tell the truth on here! On the day two poor teams, a poor watch, but we got three points, which is all that matters, then we go again.

What did we make about Trafford and the non sending off. I must admit at first glance I thought the yellow was right. Player was running away from the goal and there was at least one if not two covering defenders. 

Admittedly I've only seen it once so could be totally wrong. And I've definitely seen them given.

Oxford 65% possession in the 2nd half and 25 shots! 

Scoreline is all that matters but we seriously need some leaders back in the team. Not sure about taking Dan off and replacing with Kachunga when all we were doing was lumping it forward, surely even Jerome would have been the calm head we needed ? 

We were awful today but at this stage of the season a 1 0 away from home is all that matters.

But we have really got to improve Tuesday night at Burton, who just beat Sheff Weds.

We won't get let off the hook like today again.

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

What did we make about Trafford and the non sending off. I must admit at first glance I thought the yellow was right. Player was running away from the goal and there was at least one if not two covering defenders. 

Admittedly I've only seen it once so could be totally wrong. And I've definitely seen them given.

As i said previously, i reckon "running away from goal" is stretching things. It was slowing up and the lad would have got to it readily.

That said, 2 of Plymouth's could have gone in the final. 

Some you win, some you lose.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

No doubt in my mind, straight red. That was my initial feeling and if this was the other way around and their keeper did that to Charles I would've been livid that there wasn't a red card

18 minutes ago, Didledee said:

Come on get with the programme, opinions on individual or collective performance aren't allowed, just look at the result.

Great result. Thought we were well on top for the first half hour and then they dominated the rest of the game. Although Dempsey had a great chance to ease the nerves in the second half.

Trafford was very lucky not to get a red card imo. I'd have been fuming if their keeper did that and didn't see red.

Great day though.

Come On You Whites!!!

• Members
47 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Definite red. If Trafford doesn't bring him down he gets to the ball in the area comfortably, with just one defender between him and the goal.

It's nice for a bad decision to go in our favour though.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You wait 2 years for a backs to the wall/ride your luck away win then two come along at once!

I'll take one of those at Sheff Wed or Plymouth in the play offs every day of the week.  

Not seen the game but the bit of info I take from that is we play 3 centre halves at all costs, whoever is available, effectively MJ is now a centre back for the rest of the season, I can't see him being risked in midfield where we have loads of alternatives.

Good post.

Today is one of those days where you have to give massive praise to Evatt. 

So many of the things he did today were against the grain of fan opinion.

Stubborn Evatt sticking to 5 at the back, MJ at CB, Shoretire coming on as sub….

Yes we were far from our best, but the effort and workload they all put in today was commendable. 

In terms of our fight for 5th/6th we outperformed all our competitors.

I think that win today will please Evatt more than any this season.

Glad I was there to see it 👏