Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (A)

radcliffe white

37 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course, forgot he was available. 

Our Guinea-Bissau International may well get a game too.

Could well be a midfield three of Thomason, Morley and CMG. Leaves the likely midfield IE would want to start against Barnsley all rested.

2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Played very very well.

Fully deserved the winning margin.

But the first half of the second half wasn’t great.

When they got one back, they needed us.

We responded and then so did they.

Proud to be part of that. 

Enjoy the night m8 and see you at Cambridge 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Stig said:

It's not "not understanding football", just having a different opinion of how best to play it.

I agree suggesting we get rid of Charles is lunacy and I'd keep Vic, but I'm not sure they work overly well together. They both run around, you're right, but I'd mix it a bit and have a mixture of the runners, with the more intelligent footballers, so Charles with Bod and then subs are Vic with Jerome. That for me would be 2 more effective strike partnerships during the game than we currently have. And that's not me saying the strike partnerships we have now are bad. 

Just different opinions on how to play a game most effectively. 

It’s been proven beyond doubt that Bod starting league games has been completely ineffective.

Hes a decent substitute but that’s all.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s been proven beyond doubt that Bod starting league games has been completely ineffective.

Absolutely.

Think folk completely miss that football today is a 16 man game.

The subs are every bit as important as those starting.

Bod is superb at what hes been doing. Off the bench stretching their play and retaining possession.

Hes just not the same when he starts, and I was one of those clamouring for him to.

If theres a striker on the verge of not starting its Dion out of the 4 btw. 

• Site Supporter

We have a method that for the most part works.

Daft to say it's been proven Bod starting doesn't work, as it he has started so few, and if he started more then things may be different. 

However that is irrelevant, as we have been successful with what we're doing, so no great need to change.

Cracking day out, that. Great performance from all, including the subs (as someone said above, it's a 16 man game now, and all played their part). With players starting to come back/through the door, and maybe others perhaps still to be signed, we're looking in a great position for the rest of the season.

4-1 perhaps flattered us but we dominated pretty much all of the game, and importantly, heads stayed calm after conceding. More performances like that, please.

Properly chuffed, especially as it's rare I get onto an open terrace and the weather actually behaves! COYW

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Cracking day out

Nice one @Mounts Kipper for sorting out the tickets.

Sheehan was pure class.

Think today summed up Sheehan for 35-40 minutes he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. 

Then along with Maghoma he disappeared, they got into the game, we made the subs and we just got stronger and Sheehan was involved again. Dempsey IMO was MOTM as he was still showing during the difficult period. 

Very rare that a team dominates a league for 90 minutes and we really were miles better than them and the score was well deserved. 

Top top day.

Trains ran smoothly, Carlisle was actually a lot nicer than I was expecting, piece of piss in the boozers (2 spoons within 50 yards before the others opened and then a brewdog next door 👌🏼), weather behaved, we dominated the game (other than about 15 mins) and scored 4 goals to go with it.

We were brilliant 1st half, slightly dropped off first 15 mins or so of the second and then turned it on again. So many good performances but Sheehan and Dempsey probably just about standout for me. Carlisle showed just how dangerous we are when they’re not good enough to take Sheehan out of the game - if you can’t man mark him then he’ll destroy most teams in this league and he did today.

Thought Ashworth had a really good game and Ogbeta’s little cameo was really encouraging - not just because of his goal but even in that 10-15 minutes I think he showed that he’s comfortable on the ball and will be able to play football.

Only slight downside was no booze in the away end and no roof really reduces any atmosphere that can be created.

Up the whites!

I look forward to coming back here. Missed my train due to being too soft to say no to coaching commitments. Walked to the ground from a later train half cut- found a bar blaring 808 state which enticed me to buying a Sol. Google maps sent me to the home end, meaning I missed the second goal. Lack of supervisor meant I only got it at HT, and I only saw a small quadrant of the pitch. My acquaintances being in training wear meant post match drinking was limited- however a very welcoming student bar next to walkabout was very accommodating

Sat on a train back with 3 Japanese kids, with the most eager/aggressive shuffling I’ve ever encountered

7/10- good, but could be better

They sat off in the first half, didn't press and got punished. 

It was pretty comfortable overall but that little spell after half time did highlight a weakness. 

First 20 mins of the second half they started aggressive and pressed higher. We had to go a bit more direct at times and it didn't stick. It's not Dion's game and Victor is hit and miss.

It's been pretty clear the last few games that being pressed is kind of our kryptonite. Orient and Cheltenham have had success doing it.  I think if we're two up we don't need Dion and Victor on. We shouldn't be losing from that position. One should come off and bod or Jerome on. 

What a great day out, especially after last Saturdays disappointment.  Sheehan MotM but big shout out for Toal too.  He looked back to his best and was like prime Beckenbauer at times, coming out of defence with the ball.

Was hard to generate atmosphere in that open end at first but it got better and proper limbs on Dempsey's goal.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

That's one of the stranger comments I've seen.  If he hardly ever starts league games how could it be "proven beyond doubt"?  If he'd started today I think we would have still won, and if he'd started at Orient I don't think we would have got worse than a 1-0 defeat.